Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Resuscitating an ailing rock flower anemone

BulkRate

Hokay... I'm calling the experiment to an end with qualified success.

I'll try to post one more shot of it now so that there's a clear before - during - after progression of this over the past 8 weeks. Yes, it can take two months of feeding and pampering to get one of these critters back from the edge. Keep in mind it took the anemone 3-4 months to waste away due to starvation... if you have one do this, intervene as soon as possible/plausible. I suspect if I'd been a bit more nervy I could have gotten it back in the early August picture at the cost of maybe 1 palythoa, rather than early September.

The rock flower anemone is now eating minced chunks of Larry's Reef Frenzy (nano) and no longer needing assistance to get it into its mouth. With the richer food has come a sudden increase in growth - it's gotten back to about 1/3 the size it was on purchase back in May and is significantly more "fluffy" in between meals. Tentacles now move randomly and have some "stick" to them once food touches... still not quite 100% but I'm really getting tired of this Tupperware hanging on the upper lip of my tank.

Extremely impressive!

OK, ok... last picture reveal: (it just ate a chunk of LRS about 1/3 the size of its face)

post-70644-0-32484900-1415121208_thumb.jpg

I have a section of my rockwork that my orange rock flower anemone has proven happy in. Hopefully Tambrev's trick a page ago will prove out and the recovering one will stick itself in that general area as well if I give it some time with the pumps off & within tentacle-touching distance.

• Like 1

I'm gonna get pretty ticked off if instead it scrinches its way back into the shadowy sections under the arch and proceeds to starve itself again, mind you. ;)

But hopefully the long time spent recovering in the brightest part of the tank will have gotten it used to brighter environments and curbed this.

CindyP - forgot to ask... how's the yellow clown & rainford's goby doing?

• Like 1

I'm gonna get pretty ticked off if instead it scrinches its way back into the shadowy sections under the arch and proceeds to starve itself again, mind you. ;)

But hopefully the long time spent recovering in the brightest part of the tank will have gotten it used to brighter environments and curbed this.

:lol:

there is no telling. they've non-minds of their own.

but here's to hoping she does well and isn't shy!

• 2 years later...

man, good job on that..

I inject shrimp with aminOmega that's slightly watered down with distilled water..

it has gotten my new arrival, stressed nems, back on track quickly... also, placing them near another nem calms them I think. I've also gotten a few to settle down that way