Top Shelf Aquatics

Patricks Third Monitor

prdoring

A lid is a definite must for the first little while for sure. Also, (as long as the lid is on) don't freak out if you can't find him, because they will find a spot under/in a rock and make it their home, or "dart hole" - sorry if that's noob info to you, just thought I'd share :) My firefish Gilbert has had the same hole since he went in the tank last August until an ugly rock crab ousted him.

I haven't found mine to be a picky eater, he gobbles up NLS pellets and frozen mysis. Just give them time to adjust and he'll be out hovering in front of his house in no time!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep the lid on at all times. Don't even walk away with the feeding lid up. And if you don't have one already, get and InTank fish saver. It'll keep the firefish out of the back chambers.

That is what I've been reading... It's the new bc so the back chamber wall lays against the lights splash gaurd :)

I haven't found mine to be a picky eater, he gobbles up NLS pellets and frozen mysis. Just give them time to adjust and he'll be out hovering in front of his house in no time!

Well I think I got lucky with this one... Within 5 minutes he was out swimming in front nipping at pods and had no problem with flake food. It is fun to put a big flake in and watch him take a bite each time it blows by.

Quick Update

My Fire fish is doing well. It goes absolutely nuts for frozen brine, also loves flake.

My pod population has gone BOOM. Needless to say the fire-fish is happy :)

My levels are holding firm at 0-0-(5/10)

So I am considering adding my first oceallaris (of two) and a hardy coral or two this weekend, does that sound alright to you guys/gals?

Also...

New FTS!

IMGP0194.JPG

Also this tank is now dubbed "My Third Monitor"

IMGP0187.JPG

watching game of thrones i see :P

Indeed... This was a nice sunday... Game of thrones, video games and tank gazing :)

So I will be picking up a pair of clowns later today! Also probably an emerald crab to deal with the bubble algae that has been popping up.

My question, Is it worth it to get an emerald crab, or can they be dicks to coral?

Nice Keyboard!!!! I have the same one! lol

Quick Update

My Fire fish is doing well. It goes absolutely nuts for frozen brine, also loves flake.

My pod population has gone BOOM. Needless to say the fire-fish is happy :)

My levels are holding firm at 0-0-(5/10)

So I am considering adding my first oceallaris (of two) and a hardy coral or two this weekend, does that sound alright to you guys/gals?

Also...

New FTS!

IMGP0194.JPG

Also this tank is now dubbed "My Third Monitor"

IMGP0187.JPG

altolamprologus
My question, Is it worth it to get an emerald crab, or can they be dicks to coral?

Emerald crabs are omnivores and will eat coral if their algae supply runs low. They also pop the bubble before eating it so it's the same as popping all those bubbles by hand. Once you take out the crab, your bubble algae will come back with a vengeance. A better alternative is to remove all the ones you can by hand, then keep your nutrients as low as possible to prevent them from coming back.

Clawns and enrald are in... Full update with pics tomorrow... Sat night = way more shots than a post would allow

• 3 weeks later...

Archived