Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help- LED Fixture

Wizzy

jedimasterben

Sorry I didn't reply yet. Doubling the LED number I gave should work well. I think even just a 50% increase would be ok, I'm not 100% sure of the footprint of the 12g, I'm not at my computer at the moment so research isn't the easiest.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry I didn't reply yet. Doubling the LED number I gave should work well. I think even just a 50% increase would be ok, I'm not 100% sure of the footprint of the 12g, I'm not at my computer at the moment so research isn't the easiest.

Thank you for replying :D

The dimensions I found online say 15.8" x 13.8" x 14.8" (LxWxH)

Doubling the leds would be 28 LEDS over a 12 gallon cube.

Is that overkill?

Is a 50% increase better with-

6x 4500k white

9x royal blue

2x red

2x cyan

3x true violet (NOT UV)

Should I just go with 28 and dim them all down?

Also, optics or no optics?

Thanks- Wizzy :happy:

jedimasterben
Thank you for replying :D

The dimensions I found online say 15.8" x 13.8" x 14.8" (LxWxH)

Doubling the leds would be 28 LEDS over a 12 gallon cube.

Is that overkill?

Is a 50% increase better with-

6x 4500k white

9x royal blue

2x red

2x cyan

3x true violet (NOT UV)

Should I just go with 28 and dim them all down?

Also, optics or no optics?

Now that I see the footprint, doubling is too much. What you just listed would do. And no optics since you'll be retrofitting the hood. :)

Now that I see the footprint, doubling is too much. What you just listed would do. And no optics since you'll be retrofitting the hood. :)

Less LEDS=Less money=Less time spent putting together so that sounds good to me :D

And I may not do a retrofit, because I want a skimmer, refugium, etc in the back chambers but I don't know if it would fit with a hood.

If I didn't what optics would I want to use?

Also, on the 14 LED kit a fan is not included and the drivers seem a lot smaller than the 24 Led kit.

Do I need a fan and is getting the bigger drivers better for my fixture?

jedimasterben

The 14 LED kit comes with two 24-51v drivers, they are the same for the 24 kit. These support between 7 and 14 LEDs on each driver, but lists at 12x per driver so it doesn't overload it.

Optics will depend on how high you want to hang them. I would recommend optics when hanging otherwise you'll have a crazy amount of light spill over the sides of the tank. Once you decide if you will hang, I will crunch a couple of numbers and let you know what optics would be best. :)

You will not need a fan for so few LEDs on a good heatsink. I ran 30x LEDs on a 15x4 heatsink fanless (but the room that they're in is always 76 degrees, no exceptions, so your milage may vary).

The 14 LED kit comes with two 24-51v drivers, they are the same for the 24 kit. These support between 7 and 14 LEDs on each driver, but lists at 12x per driver so it doesn't overload it.

Optics will depend on how high you want to hang them. I would recommend optics when hanging otherwise you'll have a crazy amount of light spill over the sides of the tank. Once you decide if you will hang, I will crunch a couple of numbers and let you know what optics would be best. :)

You will not need a fan for so few LEDs on a good heatsink. I ran 30x LEDs on a 15x4 heatsink fanless (but the room that they're in is always 76 degrees, no exceptions, so your milage may vary).

If it turns out I do need a fan, are they easy to install later on?

I've heard a lot of good things about this soldering iron.

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Digital-So...0958&sr=8-8

Is it worth it? Is there a cheaper alternative?

Also, thanks for all the help :D

-Wizzy :happy:

So, I've decided I want to retrofit the hood of my Nanocube 12.

Will all my LED components fit in the hood: drivers, cords, etc?

I want the whole light fixture to be in the hood and just have the potentiometers sticking out the top.

Are there any good tutorials on how to remove everything from the hood and get the LEDS to fit in there?

I read all the Nanocube 12 retrofit builds in Evil's thread.

Will I be able to keep the stock fans?

Also, how do I determine the layout of the leds?

I'm mainly worried about having a disco effect.

Archived