inTank Media Baskets

Phishin's 14G biocube (first tank)

G0nePhishin

Hermits can be somewhat destructive but I wouldn't think a hermit would be able to catch a peppermint shrimp unless he was injured. It took me 45 minutes to catch one once - they are very very quick when frightened. Just be careful when adding shrimp though they are very sensitive to changes in water conditions. I have lost a few - some for reasons unknown. :( I'd say wait at a month after your tank cycles if you decide to try again just to be on the safe side IMO.

Add larger empty shells for the hermits to move into (if you haven't already) so they don't make a meal out of your snails or each other next.

How are you topping off your water? Do you have an ATO or are you topping off your water by hand? Be sure to keep up on it if it is by hand. Gravity can fluxuate a lot in a nano. Your temp range seems fine tho. Maybe they weren't very healthy at the store.

Sorry for your loss. It's always a tuff thing :(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's dead. bristle worm is pulling him under. RIP peppermint shrimps

That sucks man ima total noob but every time I lost something I always felt relly bummed out. Hopefully everything goes well. Good luck I'm starting mine very soon.

G0nePhishin

Hey everyone thanks for the kind and helpful words.

Potato, I think you may on to something here. I usually top off by had, but I have been very busy at work and was a little lax'd this week. I checked my SG last night and it was at 1.0271 kinda high. I am guessing that is why the shrimp was not well. Bummer, I will not let it happen again. I did a 2.5 g water change last night and the SG is looking like 1.0261 now.

added a skunk cleaner yesterday before all this went down, and he seems happy. He is nice and big too don't think the hermits will mess with him.

Oh and I found out my heater was defective, traded it in and got another one.

I'm thinkin of posting another picture when the shrimp comes out.

peace,

Phishin

G0nePhishin

Here is my new skunk cleaner coming out to say hi for the first time. Lil guy has been shy since I added him probably because not 10 min after I added him my pep was murdered!

iJit0.jpg

I like the rock scape! I wonder about blacking out the tank so soon -- getting the balance established is going to require some stability and something like "no light" is a bit drastic for normal cycling. Glad the chemipure elite is working for you! I used it for a few weeks to take care of a cyano bloom then took it out. Will look forward to seeing how you stock this over time :) .

G0nePhishin

Thanks bud!

I think you may be right, that may have contributed to the peppermints dying :tears: But it did clear my tank of the algae/bacteria bloom. I can't wait to add more stuff, unfortunately I am moving to a new apt 10 min away on 6/1 so I don't want to add anything more until the tank has reached its final home. That gives me plenty of time to let the tank cycle thoroughly and plan my corals/ fish!

Everyone, Do you think I could manage to keep 2 small tank bred bengaii cardinals in my 14g? Is is far to small for them? I was hoping to do 2 bengaii's and a randall's goby/pistol combo for the tank. Don't be afraid to call me stupid I just want to know what you all think!

peace,

Phishin

Everyone, Do you think I could manage to keep 2 small tank bred bengaii cardinals in my 14g? Is is far to small for them? I was hoping to do 2 bengaii's and a randall's goby/pistol combo for the tank. Don't be afraid to call me stupid I just want to know what you all think!

peace,

Phishin

My LFS, when the former owners who really did seem to know what they were doing ran it, stated that bengaii cardinals would be an appropriate choice. I don't remember what they said about having 2 of them -- a number of fish are really territorial with their own kind unless they are already a mated pair (or very differently sized and introduced simultaneously, as is recommended with clownfish). You might want to look that up -- liveaquaria does not recommend having too many of them -- they also recommend a bigger tank, but I think if it's just one, it still is okay.

G0nePhishin

Hey Reefers!

Just added a flame scallop and a sweet feather duster to the tank, I will try to snap a good picture and post it later tonight!

From what I remember about scallops I believe they usually die pretty fast for most people, hope yours lasts.

Like the feather duster tho!!

I'd stick to just 1 cardinal if you can live with it. 2 probably wouldn't be an issue but it's not the biggest tank ya know? You'd just have to watch and be careful

G0nePhishin

hey hirschy,

My bud down at the store told me they live for about 8 months, I got him to tide me over till I move into my new apt june 1st. Until I move I don't want to add any fish or corals. He was only 10$ too. Kinda interesting specimen, I love to eat scallops and now I can observe what a live ones life is like.

Kinda interesting specimen, I love to eat scallops and now I can observe what a live ones life is like.

LOL! I used to have fantasies about being a mermaid when I was a kid. Now that I see what underwater life is really like, you couldn't get me in there without a cage for protection! Even my little 14 BC is a beautiful but scary place.

G0nePhishin

Hi everyone!

Today is a big day for my tank, I just added my first coral! omgomgomg I got a nice little frag about the size of a nickel from my LFS today, its a sweet red/orange Acan. My hope is to grow the little guy for a month, and then attach him to the live rock after I move. I am super excited to have a coral now!

G0nePhishin
Aah, he's so cute! Nice choice :D!

Thanks! I can't wait till he gets big and strong!

On a side note everyone- MARINELAND VISI-THERM HEATERS SUCK!!!!! at least the 25W do....

I have had 2 defective ones so far and they almost cooked my tank!!!

Just switched to a 50W Ehiem Jager shatterproof one, it is awesome.

G0nePhishin
Nice little Acan. :)

I've started to use "Acan Plus" (http://www.redcoralaquarium.net/online/ind...roducts_id=1105) to feed my Blasto . . . it loves it. My elegance and frogspawn like it, too.

nice! I'll have to check it out. I am having trouble with my skunk cleaner stealing food away from the acan when I try to feed it! He is a litter bugger! anyone got some advice? I just kept shooing him away but he kept on trying.

I feed my cleaner shrimp first. Some mysis shrimp or pellets to keep him busy and I can do whatever I want without him coming after my hand or whatever I'm trying to feed.

G0nePhishin
I feed my cleaner shrimp first. Some mysis shrimp or pellets to keep him busy and I can do whatever I want without him coming after my hand or whatever I'm trying to feed.

Thanks Banshee! I will give it a try tonight, I felt bad squirting water at the lil guy to keep him away.

on a sadder note, my feather duster left his tube, and a bristleworm got him :tears: he was still alive, but vulnerable and sadly met his end. Any tips on placement If i get a new one in a few months?

G0nePhishin

Hey all,

So I just got my intank media basket today in the mail, I just have a quick question.... how often do you change your filter floss?

Thanks!

G0nePhishin

Hey all,

So I need some advice, I am behind on this weeks water change because I botched a batch of water I was mixing. My nitrates are high around 7-8 PPM My corals don't look very happy. I am mixing a new batch, but you are supposed to mix it for 24 hrs. Is there anything I can do before the new water is done mixing?? My skunk cleaner seems ok, he is running around a lot though. PLEASE HELP!!

hirschy75
Hey all,

So I need some advice, I am behind on this weeks water change because I botched a batch of water I was mixing. My nitrates are high around 7-8 PPM My corals don't look very happy. I am mixing a new batch, but you are supposed to mix it for 24 hrs. Is there anything I can do before the new water is done mixing?? My skunk cleaner seems ok, he is running around a lot though. PLEASE HELP!!

Wait like an hour, get the temp as close as possible and then chuck it in.

I've read people tossing new water in after 10 minutes of mixing without issue

G0nePhishin
Wait like an hour, get the temp as close as possible and then chuck it in.

I've read people tossing new water in after 10 minutes of mixing without issue

Awesome thanks bud, I might drop 2 heaters into there lol! My acan does not look happy right now!!

hirschy75
Awesome thanks bud, I might drop 2 heaters into there lol! My acan does not look happy right now!!

Are all the other params ok?

Did anything die recently?

Archived