My glass skimmers are:

-quiet

-compact

-functional

-unique

-durable

-energy efficient

-low maintenance

-aesthetically superior (at least I think so ;))

-low in the production of escapee microbubbles

-a way to keep your skimmer from adding heat to the tank

-a way to offer the user more flexibility in their build

Cheers!

-Calen

So. How much to send one to Australia? (One for a 1/2 gallon tank.)

Really want one of these. Any chance you will be making mame styled overflows? I will buy anything USA made in a heart beat.

SHHHHHHHH!!!!

Actually those are in development at the moment. I don't plan on ripping off the Mame design, because Mame's a great company, and if someone wants a Mame overflow, they should go to the trouble and grab one (I've seen 'em in person and they're definitely cool!!)

But I am working on a continuous siphon nano overflow/surface skimmer of my own, which will be 100% glass and in all likelihood will have the same sort of mounting adjustment as the protein skimmers (the glass sliding mount) to adjust the water level of the tank.

So. How much to send one to Australia? (One for a 1/2 gallon tank.)

My rough estimate on international shipping is $12... that's a truly tiny tank, though. Please mail or PM me some measurements and I can make up something custom (perhaps adding it to the stock lineup in the future).

Is this the skimmer pico aquariums will be carrying? Anybody know?

Not to my knowledge... it would be neat if they were interested, though.

I've been using one for 6-7 weeks and love it. I'll post a few photo's to show everyone. Gnome skimmer plus Nano Box LED's over a nano. Sexy.

-Dave

Islandoftiki
I'm in the process of revamping the pictures on the site and adding a newfangled slider thingey, but in the meantime check out one of the
!

Hehe, that's mine! :-)

So far, it's working great. I've been playing around with the adjustments to see what works best. I was initially skimming a little too wet and dialed the air back just a touch. Seems to be good now. Producing tea-colored skimmate.

The new-tank algae issue I was having is under control now. It's simply stopped growing within a day of adding the skimmer. The snails are on top of it now.

I put one of these in my 5.5 gallon tank for exactly some of the reasons described above - aesthetics, no heat transfer (it's a temperate tank), and it's quiet. I did a little adjusting up and down as well as moved the airstone around a little, and it's now pulling a tea-colored skimmate as well as a very respectable layer of gunk collecting at the top of the skimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

what is the difference between the 32mm x20cm and just the 32mm skimmers?

and what would you recommend for a 10g long tank 10.5" tall.

Thanks!

Islandoftiki
what is the difference between the 32mm x20cm and just the 32mm skimmers?

and what would you recommend for a 10g long tank 10.5" tall.

Thanks!

I have the 32x20 in my 10 gallon 24"x10"x10" and it a perfect fit. See the video a few posts back to see what it looks like in my tank.

I did my first full maintenance of my skimmer last night. The skimmer has been running for several weeks now and was ready for a basic cleaning. It took about 10-15 minutes at the most. All I had to do was clean it out with a paper towel wrapped around a long screwdriver to get any algae out of the tube. I recommend getting an appropriate sized bottle brush. I then scraped any algae off of the airstone with a razor blade. Put it all back together and popped it back in the tank and turned the air pump back on. It started working immediately. I didn't have to wait for it to break-in at all.

Great product.

I have the 32x20 in my 10 gallon 24"x10"x10" and it a perfect fit. See the video a few posts back to see what it looks like in my tank.

I did my first full maintenance of my skimmer last night. The skimmer has been running for several weeks now and was ready for a basic cleaning. It took about 10-15 minutes at the most. All I had to do was clean it out with a paper towel wrapped around a long screwdriver to get any algae out of the tube. I recommend getting an appropriate sized bottle brush. I then scraped any algae off of the airstone with a razor blade. Put it all back together and popped it back in the tank and turned the air pump back on. It started working immediately. I didn't have to wait for it to break-in at all.

Great product.

Nice, my tank is also 24". Did you purchase the mount too?

Islandoftiki

Yes. I'd recommend getting the mount hanger as well. Let him know what the thickness of your tank's rim is where you want to hang it and he'll make a custom hanger for the proper width. This was especially useful since my tank is braced at the top and 7/16" wide where I hung the skimmer.

Yes. I'd recommend getting the mount hanger as well. Let him know what the thickness of your tank's rim is where you want to hang it and he'll make a custom hanger for the proper width. This was especially useful since my tank is braced at the top and 7/16" wide where I hung the skimmer.

Sweet thanks.

so you're using the 32mmx20cm and not the just the 32mm right?

Islandoftiki
Sweet thanks.

so you're using the 32mmx20cm and not the just the 32mm right?

That's correct.

• 4 months later...

Moving from a 90 gallon mixed reef tank to an 8 gallon pico reef has been quite an experience. First and foremost was finding a suitable skimmer that would match the performance of my main tank's AquaC EV-180, but in a pico form factor. I have tried several nano skimmers in the past, but found most of them a hassle to adjust and maintain, too poorly constructed to rely on, or just a general pain to use. Setting up an Innovative Marine Nuvo Nano 8 tank presented an opportunity to revisit the world of small skimmers. The skimmer would need to meet the following criteria:

• Superior build quality and trouble-free operation - The skimmer must be built to last and not change performance over time or fail due to poorly made parts. It must operate quietly and reliably.
  • Easy to adjust - Many small skimmers are too 'fiddly' to get adjusted and a pain to keep adjusted properly. I wanted a skimmer that could be easily set and hold the proper functional level.
  • Easy to maintain - Small skimmers generally need frequent attention (emptying collection cup on a daily basis, cleaning small parts to keep it running, etc.) I wanted a skimmer that could go at least a week without maintenance - preferably longer.
  • Super small form factor - The IM Nuvo 8 has a back overflow section common to 'all-in-one' systems and the 2nd chamber is ideal for a skimmer - as long as it will fit in a space 2 1/2" square (by 12" deep). This restraint eliminates a lot of good performing products.
  • Decent styling - This unit will sit on top of my wife's Edo-period Japanese antique hutch, so bulky, ugly kit is a total non-starter.

I looked at every solution out there (including a couple of DIY designs) and decided to give the Gnome Glass skimmer a try. From the outset, I have been ecstatic with the results. This skimmer is a work of art - both visually and functionally. Build quality is first rate. The handblown boro-silicate skimmer body, air feed and hanger are a precision jewel, and remind me of the custom lab glassware we used at the University of Washington. This thing is designed for use. While not impervious to breakage, boro-silicate glass is tough stuff. Check off well made.

I chose the 32mm unit which easily fits my space with room to spare. (I have both skimmer and heater in the chamber.) Its simple, elegant design wins for decent styling. Installed, it's practically invisible at the back of the tank.

Setup and initial adjustment could not have been easier. Attach an airline and an outlet tube. Adjust the skimmer body's height in the water column (using the optional glass hanger facilitates this, and I can recommend it as money well spent.) Run the airline tube to the air pump. Run the outlet tube to your waste collection container. That's it. From unboxing to setup and adjustment, the skimmer was up and producing skimmate in less than 30 minutes. I use a pump that will overdrive the skimmer, so have an inline bleed valve to adjust flow. I can make fine adjustments to the foam production by small tweaks on the valve. Its easy to dial in wet to bone-dry foam as I choose.

With the air pump located in a closed cabinet, the Gnome Glass skimmer is dead-quiet. With no moving parts, O-rings, or other paraphernalia; it provides headache-free operation

Maintenance is a breeze, too. The design eliminates the collection cup in favor of an outlet stem that attaches to 1/2" tubing to feed an external collection vessel. My wife 'donated' an antique porcelain spitoon since our vessel sits out in the open. (Appropriate, don't you think?) I empty the collected skimmate once a week, but could go months without doing so, but for the yuk factor. Occasional cleaning of the skimmer body with a bottle brush and rinse under the faucet easily removes the light brown scum that builds up over time.

In total - the Gnome Glass skimmer is a first-rate product. Excellent function combined with ease of use and high style make this a clear winner. There are cheaper solutions out there, but no better value.

One last thought. Calen at Gnome Glass is a pleasure to deal with. I received the custom-made skimmer quickly and enjoyed excellent customer service. Even got follow-up emails from Calen to make sure I understood how to get the most out of the skimmer and answer any questions I might have had. I wish my other aquarium purchases were even half as satisfying as my Gnome Glass skimmer.

post-76790-1348680705_thumb.jpg

I've been meaning to do a more detailed write-up about some minor issues that I've had with my skimmer and a super simple fix.

First off, I have absolutely no complaints with the function of the skimmer and it's general operation, but two times I've had the skimmer go crazy after pulling my filter floss out (and thus releasing some nutrients into the water). No, keep in mind that the skimmer is just doing what it's supposed to do, but if it starts pumping out too much foam, it can start a siphon if you don't have a siphon break in the waste line. This can be made with a simple T-fitting and some extra tubing.

. I plugged it off and pulled my filter floss out so you can see what happens. It didn't start a full siphon in the video, but it was really close. One of the two times it started to siphon the tank, it sucked about 2 gallons out of the tank and onto the floor before I caught it. The first time, I caught it right when it started and it didn't manage to overflow the waste container.

Anyhow, this is something easily prevented with a cheap T-Fitting you can get at your local hardware store.

Note: This applies to all airstone skimmers of the same design.. MAME, Pico Skim, Gnome, Glazer, etc...

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I first met Calen while I was hosting my booth at Reefstock. He made an all glass skimmer that used old school wood air stones. The glass work was beautiful and matched the look of a rimless/modern tank. After Reefsmart I contacted him and picked up a few. To my surprise he already had a new mounting bracket that solved the only problem, mounting. The mounting is now a glass mount that can be adjusted by two small orings/tubing that wrap around the mount and keep it in place. As well he now has an adjustment tube for the wooden air stone. This allows you to adjust the air stone height and bubble height. This is also held in by two small orings/tubing. I was afraid that the tubing would loosen over time or breakdown from the saltwater but it has held in for nine months now. Still holding just as strong as day one!

Side view of mount :

8230030726_e58a2690ae.jpg

Front view of mounting :

8228966385_32b9a83532.jpg

Top Mount :

8228969027_440228e23f.jpg

The skimmer is powered by a small air pump. I am currently using a adjustable luft pump. This allows me to adjust the bubble count depending on the height of the water. The pump is extremely quite and makes the tank almost silent. I clean the inside glass with a pipe cleaner like an ADA lily pipe. Drop the skimmer in a vinegar/water solution for thirty minutes and then clean away. As you can see the skimmer really works! I have been using it for ~ nine months and looking forward to using it for years to come.

8228967649_490e04d76e.jpg

Old school luft pump

8230029214_78d85a0344.jpg

Gnome skimmers now has multiple sizes and different mounting for most tanks. The quality, customer service and results are amazing. The skimmer looks incredible with a rimless tank and adds a retro/modern twist to the tank. I will work on a nice video showing it as well. All made in CO in the USA!

Sexy!

8228970589_7a4428b3f9_z.jpg

-Dave

Thanks for the reviews everyone! I really appreciate the kind words, and I'll do my best to keep providing great products and customer service - I think it's a great way to start a business, by building a foundation of quality and support. As always, if anyone needs some support on the various things I make, please shoot me an email or a private message here. I can't always keep up on the forums as well as I'd like, but I'll be sure to get back to you quickly in either of those mediums...

It's distressing to see that one of these skimmers could lead to so much water loss - I'll have to experiment a bit and see if I can create an anti-siphon model. I'd also like to note, though, that the skimmer in the video is mounted a bit low for how much air is flowing through it. The dense foam column should end about an inch underneath the bottom of the dome, so I'd recommend a higher mounting position to prevent this. It does seem to be a special circumstance, since the floss was just pulled, but it would be best to adjust the skimmer during the increased foam if you don't have an anti-siphon installed as Tiki does.

Finally, if you have any ideas for my products, something I should make or something I should alter, I'd sure love to hear 'em! Shoot me a mail - heck, I might even send a prototype out to you to test if you're willing to give me some feedback. You never know!

Thanks for the support!

-Calen

So am I correct in my understanding that I need to provide an air pump with 1/4" tubing in order to produce the bubbles through the air stone into the skimmer as well as a 1/2" outlet tube to remove the skimmate? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I want to be sure I've got it down. I've been thinking I need a skimmer, this may be just the thing - affordable, well-made and from everyone's comments, these seem to work extremely well. This should work on a 12g AP, correct?

Archived