Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

White Spots on Clownfish

Kfmmartin19

Kfmmartin19

Hey everyone. I have had a clownfish that was sold to me as a percula for about 8 months now in my Biocube 29. It looks like an Ocellaris to me, but I'm not sure. Anyways, yesterday I noticed 5 white dots on him, the most prominent being one on his face near his eye, and then three on one side of him and one on the other side. Last week I added a tank-raised Tailspot Blenny into my QT and it did not last 24 hours, so the next day I put another tank-raised one straight into my display tank without quarantining it. It was acting fine at the LFS and has been in my tank for a week now and has been acting perfectly normal and healthy. He has no signs of these white dots or any other health issue. My clownfish and him don't really interact, just kind of ignore each other. I also have had a skunk cleaner shrimp in my tank for 5-6 months. That's the background info. Yesterday I noticed these five dots and this morning they are still here, no more and no less, and look the same size. My fish is acting perfectly normal, not flashing or anything, and ate fine yesterday and this morning. Does this sound like ich to you? I thought if it was ich there would be more dots this morning but that is not the case. Does it sound like something else? Is this a problem and if so how do you recommend I fix it? I have a QT but I am hesitant to put another fish in there as the last one didn't make it 24 hours and all params tested normal. What other info do you need? I am going to try and post a pic but am not really sure how to do it so if it doesn't come through I'm going to need someone to tell me how to do it. Thanks guys! It means a lot as he is my favorite and first marine fish.

Looks like the pic came through so I'm going to post a few more.

Is there some way to post more than one at a time?

In all the pics you can see the spot on his face and in the first one you can kind of see three lighter ones on his back.

post-70744-1330893323_thumb.jpg

post-70744-1330893431_thumb.jpg

post-70744-1330893474_thumb.jpg

I believe my clown had ich, but the white spots multiplied and it was rubbing so I used ich attack for 5 days and from what I can see it has all but cleared up.I also FOLLOWED the directions for the ich attack and used it for about 4 days after the spots were gone and my little dude stopped rubbing. I have a stock biocube so I had to remove the filter in chamber one because the directions say that the carbon messes with the ich attack. Just my experience, my fish does not have ich and now I just use a probiotic every other day for the past month. I'm new though and I'm sure people say that stuff does nor work...I would try it, its better than having a death IMO. Also your fish pics are not good enough for me to tell if its ich or not.

Reefmaster1996
I believe my clown had ich, but the white spots multiplied and it was rubbing so I used ich attack for 5 days and from what I can see it has all but cleared up.I also FOLLOWED the directions for the ich attack and used it for about 4 days after the spots were gone and my little dude stopped rubbing. I have a stock biocube so I had to remove the filter in chamber one because the directions say that the carbon messes with the ich attack. Just my experience, my fish does not have ich and now I just use a probiotic every other day for the past month. I'm new though and I'm sure people say that stuff does nor work...I would try it, its better than having a death IMO. Also your fish pics are not good enough for me to tell if its ich or not.

Not sure if it is anything to worry about, but check the clear tips on his fins and breathing rate. Ich is first noticeable if the fish has a faster than normal breathing rate and if the clear parts of the fins have white specs. As far as treatment I have used ich attack and it sopped the progress of the ich but didn't cure it. Quarintine and dose copper is what I would do. Also never introduce anything (water,fish) from anther tank without Quarintining first for at least 4-6 weeks. I had the same problem and lost all live stock in my20 gallon long I have since been Quarintining and have had no further implications.if you have any further questions pm me . I have been through this before and learned the hard way. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY REEFING!

Archived