ReefCleaners.org

Jai's 20g long

Jai1985

heres a question for you tuys. Do you think I will need a Skimmer as this is going to be a softie tank? I am currently running a 200 micron sock connected straight to my drain, which is getting a lot of froth in it.

Also entertaining ideas on a stock list :-) :-) :-)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you keep up with water changes, a skimmer isn't a must. also, I'd go with a royal gramma and pistol shrimp/goby pair and maybe a pair of harlequins or bumble be shrimp. a tank with a bunch of inverts would be cool. :happy:

heres a question for you tuys. Do you think I will need a Skimmer as this is going to be a softie tank? I am currently running a 200 micron sock connected straight to my drain, which is getting a lot of froth in it.

Also entertaining ideas on a stock list :-) :-) :-)

If you keep the fish load to a couple fish and do a couple gallon water changes a week you will be fine. I forgot you have a sump, you could probably get away with 4 small fish.

This is a great size tank for Gobies. Goby Fish and a Gobies shrimp together are perfect.

Neon Gobies and Shark Nose adapt and eat well. Blennies are another great choice. I am found of my Barnacle Blennies. I started with 3 now only have 1 but will eventually add a couple more.

Since you are going to do softies only check out a Dwarf angle, like a Cherub.

Inverts like anemone/porcelin crab, cleaner shrimp, sexy shrimp are all perfect for this tank.

yeah I was thinking of a watchman go by but just so scared it will jump. Definately goo a look into the sexy shrimp, and I have never owned a dwarf angle but I Google them and I think they are really cool so we will see. What are you guys recommendations on the CUC. Just let the sexy shrimp have at it?

Did your gobies jmp on you Dean?

Also never had any nems either that might be a fun new challenge as well. I know a little about bubble tipped ones from reading other forum posts but what would be a good one to keep? Rose? ....

yeah I was thinking of a watchman go by but just so scared it will jump. Definately goo a look into the sexy shrimp, and I have never owned a dwarf angle but I Google them and I think they are really cool so we will see. What are you guys recommendations on the CUC. Just let the sexy shrimp have at it?

Did your gobies jmp on you Dean?

Also never had any nems either that might be a fun new challenge as well. I know a little about bubble tipped ones from reading other forum posts but what would be a good one to keep? Rose? ....

Sexies are best in small groups. Like 3 or more.

The only Gobie I have had jump would be a Pink Bar. Anything is possible but if you stick with a bottom dweller like the Yellow Watchmen or Hi Fin you should be ok. There are a bunch of other Gobies as well.

You should keep a few snails. I would look at about 6 Nassarius for the SB, a few Nerite Snails and Turbo Snails. Astreas are ok but can be a problem since they are unable to right themselves. Some like Cerith Snails but I just have not seen the ones I have tried to be very productive. Another good snail is the Conch. Just 1 though. They get pretty big and will starve if you have to much competing for the food.

If you are going to get some hermit crabs I would recommend Scarlet Reef crabs as part of your CUC. They are not as aggressive as others.

You can do a Nem but I would wait for a few months until you have everything else in order and working smooth. Nems require a very stable environment. The RBTA are nice but can be a bit $$$. But the BTA is a good one to start with. I have a very large one in my 135g. I don't recall what you have for lighting but Nems require some pretty serious amount of light. Ok I went back and found you have 2 65w PC bulbs. This should be enough light for a BTA. I would make sure the bulbs are new before adding the BTA though since you have no idea how old they are.

i just changed the bulbs upon setup with new ones. And I'm in no rush to stock anything. The only thing in the tank right now is 5 blue legs to help with the crap during the cycle. I think I will take your idea on the snails after the cycle finishes. The other morning I noticed some diatoms on the sandbed and there are even more today. ( pics below). So I know cycle is about halfway done. I think it will probably be another week before it finishes though. I have an API test kit ( best I could afford) but it is a reef kit which didn't include any ammo or trite test just, trates. So far no nitrates are showing but I figure the diatoms are there from the trites.

I think i will be getting that watchman eventually and I will be researching the others in prep. For stocking.

You should check out my tweenty long in my signature.... it has a clown, a watchman, and a cardinal. False perc clowns are my favorite, the goby is also great for this tank. Hes grumpy and guards his cave, its fun to watch. But he blows sand all over the rock in front of his cave :angry: The cardnal is a big dissapointment it only comes out at night. Im wanting to swap it for a pygmy angel because i want a blue fish.

Some nice diatoms.

Also, can you take that stupidly large photo out of your signature? It's obnoxious when half of the scrolling on a page is due to that.

The cardnal is a big dissapointment it only comes out at night. Im wanting to swap it for a pygmy angel because i want a blue fish.

Really?! I had a cardinal in my 90 and it was out all the time. They are pretty timid though.

NOOOO!!!! YOU PUT CAPTAIN PICARD AND THE FIRST OFFICER BACK IN YOUR SIGNATURE NOW! TREKERS NEED TO LET OUR GEEK FLAG FLY

Lol but seriously resize the photo

NOOOO!!!! YOU PUT CAPTAIN PICARD AND THE FIRST OFFICER BACK IN YOUR SIGNATURE NOW! TREKERS NEED TO LET OUR GEEK FLAG FLY

Lol but seriously resize the photo

Lmao working on it now

Really?! I had a cardinal in my 90 and it was out all the time. They are pretty timid though.

Well this is my first one.... its my understanding that they are actually nocturnal but they get trained in the aquarium to stay out in the day to wait on feedings. I cultivate pods in my fuge so i dont think he cares about feeding time... hes super active at night though hunting pods.

I see you fixed your sig James :)

So I scraped my glass today and OMG at the diatoms on the wall.... lol

Should I be concerned about bubbles in my sandbed that seem to be rising to the surface and out of the tank? I have never used sand before and am not sure if this is a good, or bad thing, or just part of the cycle i have never seen as I have always went BB in other tanks I owned. Thoughts, comments, ideas?

Well its official. My Cycle is done!

Test Results for the day...

KH: 8

Calcium: 400ppm

Phosphate: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

S.G. 1.025

These results are from an API kit. Please guys I know that API is not the best kit in the world but im a poor college student and its what I can afford. I dont have the saltwater test kit but the Reef kit. I figured it would be the better buy as the salt kit only test things I would be closely monitoring during the first cycle.

I think its more important to watch the things mentioned above vs ammonia. not to mention my LFS test water for free but they dont have stuff to test Ca, ect..

So now to stock... :)

gonna be looking at an Auroa Goby, possibly a cherub, Basslet, or flame angel, bi color blenny, sexy shrimp, Skunk Cleaner,

ideas..?

I definitely want that Flame Angel

I really would like to try to get a mated pair of false Percs.

Archived