Pod Your Reef

Pooh's 14G Cube

Deputy_Pooh

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sfdanksta650

Do you still have the purple firefish and the ywg in your tank? Want to know what's your bio load? I just added another fish to my tank. How frequently did you do water changes?

Deputy_Pooh
Do you still have the purple firefish and the ywg in your tank? Want to know what's your bio load? I just added another fish to my tank. How frequently did you do water changes?

All i have now is a YWG and pistol shrimp and a percula clown. My firefish jumped out and my second clown was purchased sick and he died within the first 2 weeks of being in my tank months ago..

sfdanksta650

I have one ywg, and two percs. I just added the other perc on Saturday. I normally do 2 gal water changes every week. Should I be ok with that?

Deputy_Pooh
I have one ywg, and two percs. I just added the other perc on Saturday. I normally do 2 gal water changes every week. Should I be ok with that?

Yup, i do the same amount. 2 gallon water change every sunday or monday. I also change out my filter floss twice a week.. whenever the water flows over my medium basket..

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

New mod done to the cube. ;) Alot of hard work I may add, but its well worth the hassle. Not to many biocubes are rimless.. If I'm going to modify my cube, I might as well separate my tank from the rest.. B)

267CC885-ACE0-46F6-BE79-E8EC7B13C0C7-451

990E8AC0-A7FD-47D2-8C0E-CBC3BC77CD06-451

7E0BE188-E5A7-4B3D-8F41-3BFD3F79DE49-451

I'm doing some research for another mod soon to come.... This is history in the making..

• Like 1

Is it still possible to get the media basket out with a clamp on style light? Or do you have to take the clamp off to get the media basket out?

Awesome tank! I want a new light, and ATO as well now

No i have to take the light off. Thats the biggest downfall to having a clamp on light.. I hate taking it off, but I only change my filter media every 4 months so its not really that often that the lights are removed.. I'm working on installing an overflow and sump.. That will eliminate the basket and the lights can stay on permanently then.. :haha:

I want to spend about $200 for a light, can you recommend a nice light system for that price. Ive been looking at the Viper but Im not sure. The Viper requires high wattage, plus Ive heard they get real hot? I have a BC14 as well and am doing mods to and your thread has been great.

OH yeah is there a sump that fits below BC14 stand? Looks to small to house a sump or anything for that matter.

Thanks for your help.

I want to spend about $200 for a light, can you recommend a nice light system for that price. Ive been looking at the Viper but Im not sure. The Viper requires high wattage, plus Ive heard they get real hot? I have a BC14 as well and am doing mods to and your thread has been great.

OH yeah is there a sump that fits below BC14 stand? Looks to small to house a sump or anything for that matter.

Thanks for your help.

If you want LEDs. I wud reccommend maybe a used AI nano. They shud be around that price, but maybe harder to find since more ppl are selling used sol's instead. The viper light is decent but I wudnt pay over $100 for one after already experiencing them first hand. They are a single bulb fixture and I didn't like that. I wud look at a 16 inch current orbit fixture (MH & T5's). Those are nicer than the viper in my opinion.

I'm using a 29 gallon stand so I don't kno wut wud fit in a BC14 stand. A 10 gallon tank shud be fine tho.

Due you plan on putting your sump under your bc29 stand?

What's the cost on your current light system, I can't seem to find it.

Yes I just purchased my nano overflow and rio 1100 pump for my sump.. I'm going to use a 10 gallon tank

http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Unibody_Dimmable_54_Watt_6500K_20000K_LED_Fixture_Flexible_Mount_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-JBJ_Lighting-JB007720-FILTFILDFX-vi.html

After doing some research, I found out that krylon fusion paint is reef safe. So I'm going to be re-doing my return line and spraying the visible portions black to make a more uniform look.

Once I realized that I couldn't use the stock return outlet, I was a lil down about the project bc I initially didn't want a PVC return line. However, the finished project is better than I expected even with the PVC being white. So I kno that spraying it black will give it a even better look. The pipe is not as bulky as I thought it wud be. It's actually a rather slim custom look..

Some wud argue that adding a sump to a aio tank is rather pointless, but I've seen better results in one hr of operation so far than I did in a day with the previous setup. The flow is way better, I no longer have debris or thin film sitting on top of the surface water. My refugium is slightly bigger than the stock biocube refugium section, so I can hold more chaeto and use a variety of lighting options for it rather than just a few options for the stock setup. I'm running a mesh sock to collect the debris rather than filter floss which I have to change out every three days. I'm a fan of filter socks over floss. I believe they collect more stuff and they are reusable. I no longer have to remove my light fixture to gain access to my media basket.

I believe my already successful setup will run better under this setup now.

Mailman dropped off my 20k bulb, aqua lifter pump, JBJ ATO and my filter media to hopefully last me until late spring..

d676e253.jpg

I love my new bulb :D .. Tank looks awesome with the blueish tint. This phone pic does no justice.

0cdf3d58.jpg

Even my dog loves the new look. :P

c144dc2a.jpg

Love your dog !

That's my dream dog lol

After further review and closely monitoring my new filtration setup, I've noticed that I use to grow algae on my back wall and koralia powerhead constantly. It wud reappear after I clean it off in a couple days with the old setup. However, now i notice that it is no longer building up. I don't kno if its due to the added increase in flow, or the fuge I installed.. Whatever has caused it to not appear again is a great sign. I'm so happy with the upgrade. I shud have done this a long ago..

looking good, I did my BC 14 rimless, and want to due my 29 but Im scared to because of the size.

Hey DP I've heard the ATO is a great purchase and almost a must have. I'm still debating on a ATO system, whats your opinion? I'm looking at the JBJ ato system for $100.

Also what due you think about a rimless bc29 good idea or bad, I know others have done it, but Ive read some people are absolutely dead set against a 29 rimless. Due you have or know anyone with a rimless 29?

thanks for your help

Kyle

looking good, I did my BC 14 rimless, and want to due my 29 but Im scared to because of the size. Hey DP I've heard the ATO is a great purchase and almost a must have. I'm still debating on a ATO system, whats your opinion? I'm looking at the JBJ ato system for $100. Also what due you think about a rimless bc29 good idea or bad, I know others have done it, but Ive read some people are absolutely dead set against a 29 rimless. Due you have or know anyone with a rimless 29? thanks for your help Kyle

ATO's is indeed a must have for smaller setups i believe. The JBJ ATO has been fine with me over the past yr. I run it with a aqua lifter pump. I clean the sensor off every 6months.

The lightning has everything to do with making it rimless. If you have to take the lid off for custom lights, then you might as well make it rimless. Tanks with trims are old fashion nowadays. Everything is rimless. I think a rimless 29 wud be fine. Several ppl have done it. Its all over youtube. I'm debating on buying one myself and making it rimless and drilled?

Thanks DP I did make my 29bc rimless yesterday, looks sharp and holding up well. I found it easier to due than the 14bc probably due to bigger size.

Go for it DP get a 29 bc and start a new thread

I'm in the process of trying to sell my 75 deep blue setup. Its on craigslist for $2,500 but i will go as low as $1,700. Once i sell that I will build a new setup. My main goal is to setup a deep blue 30 gallon shallow tank with a radion, but I'm also considering buying a used non scratched BC29 and drilling it, making it rimless and probably using a kessil a150w.. Either way, I want to start from the beginning again and establish a sps only tank..

Archived