inTank Media Baskets

Wankreas' Cube~ (going going...)

wankreas

Thanks Gena! It's good to be back lol

I am going to lower the salinity gradually to 1.024 over the next month or so and see if there are any changes in my zoas before I attempt another mushroom!

My alk tested in the 'normal' range and the pH at 8 today.

Hopefully the lowering the salinity will fix it :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Gena! It's good to be back lol

I am going to lower the salinity gradually to 1.024 over the next month or so and see if there are any changes in my zoas before I attempt another mushroom!

My alk tested in the 'normal' range and the pH at 8 today.

Hopefully the lowering the salinity will fix it :)

Sounds like it's the salinity! My mushrooms improved greatly when I corrected my salinity. It was running around 1.030 :blink:
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been working diligently at lowering my salinity over the last couple of weeks and there have been no repercussions to my efforts thus far :) Huzzah!

I have also been thinking about selling off my acanthastrea colony. I feel like it's getting a little too big for my tank. It was 2 heads when I bought it and now it's over 15 heads and still growing and I don't really want to frag it into bits. I still like the colour combination, but I don't think it's really super special.

Here are a couple of pics of how it looks now:

Side view-

Top Down view-
  • 3 weeks later...

Exciting news!

I sold a bunch of corals from my tank to make room for a couple of new inhabitants. This weekend coming, I will be redoing the aquascape, glueing my fingers together mounting some new frags, and posting a serious update with a new full tank shot!

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to updating this thread!

I sold my large GSP colony (though I kept a small frag to attach to my back wall), Acan, Hydnophora and Favia to make some more room in my tank. We all know I have a serious case of big tank envy and it's hard to stop myself from buying new inhabitants for my tiny tank. Now I have room! (for a couple of weeks at least).

In other news, I finally got a new mushroom to try. I will try and take a solo picture for it soon. It eats like crazy :)

I also finally got a Monti cap frag! Sofar it seems happy.

I also finally got my hands on some Neomeris! I have wanted some for ages and it it virtually impossible to find here. The cray part is that someone in the tank took it upon themselves to kill it in a week and a half :( Boooo! I haven't got a clue as to who may have perpetrated the crime and all the references online say that not many things eat it.

I think I may get some new inhabitants this week :D

Woa, never seen a hammer do that! Did you feed it bubble gum? Hope its alright.

Me too. It's been like this for about 3 weeks now. I really hope it's just splitting in some weird fashion.

Either that, or my jerk of a shrimp smuggled some Double Bubble into the tank somehow ;)

Also, I love your tanks! :wub:

Sounds like an exciting week ahead!!! New FTS soon ;)

New full tank shot is posted on the front page. I should probably post them here too, 'cause more pictures= better.

I am so thrilled with your new tank! Absolutely beautiful work, as usual~

9165474523_4d8ceaae07_c.jpg
FTS.29.06.13 by wankreas, on Flickr
(so you don't need to go back to page 1!)

Thanks for posting it here! I always forget you put the new FTS on the first page. Sounds like your GSP won't have a chance to grow on that back wall...you can just switch it to the new tank. :happydance:

How long have you had the clam? What kind is it? I'm debating about getting one. I'm afraid cuz I don't want it to die. I would like a squamosa since they seem to be hardier, but I only have space on the rock work so I guess it'd have to be a maxima. Decisions, decisions. LOL. Where's the new mushroom?

How long have you had the clam? What kind is it? I'm debating about getting one. I'm afraid cuz I don't want it to die. I would like a squamosa since they seem to be hardier, but I only have space on the rock work so I guess it'd have to be a maxima. Decisions, decisions. LOL. Where's the new mushroom?

I've had my clam since January 2012 :) It's a crocea that I got at my not-so-local LFS for 25$

I definitely bought it on impulse, and wound up playing catch-up on the research end. So far, so good. I think it's probably so happy 'cause my firefish seems to use it as a dedicated toilet.

I will post a picture of the mushroom when the lights come on tomorrow :) It's purple and green, like pretty much everything else that's left in my tank lol I have had it for 3 weeks and it hasn't kicked the bucket yet! I lowered the salinity so I hope that solves the problem of me not being able to grow mushrooms for crap permanently!

It's really pretty. If I get one it will be a squamosa. Haven't decided if I want to pay the outrageous price of $180 plus shipping for a blue one or go with the cheaper tan and brown one from LA.

• 3 weeks later...

So the week before last, we had a crazy summer storm here in Toronto that dumped 126cm ( about 5") of rain in a period of 4 hours. The subsequent flooding blew out a local transformer station and my house was without power for about 23 hours. :(

Needless to say, 23 hours with no power in the heat of summer meant that a few of my beloved denizen bit the proverbial dust.As soon as the power came on I did an emergency water change and swapped out the bag of chemipure.

I lost most of my crustaceans and my firefish.

My Xenia also melted :(

Everything else looks okay. It's been about 2 weeks now and I figured that if it was going to die, it would have by now.

My threadfin goby, the only fish I have left, is super shy now, preferring to share his burrow with the corpse of his pistol shrimp. I had a small diatom bloom because I would have to tear the tank apart to get the dead pistol shrimp out, but that was about it.

Anyhow, here are a couple of pictures that I took of the street(s) outside my work.

Yeah. I am pretty bummed.

I think my clam might be on the way out. I saw a bunch of bigger bristleworms circling it like vultures this morning. They did some mantle damage, but the foot still looks okay. Only time will tell though. I pulled out as many of the bigger ones as I could catch and flushed them down the loo. They always give me the willies regardless of size.

Yeah. I am pretty bummed.

I think my clam might be on the way out. I saw a bunch of bigger bristleworms circling it like vultures this morning. They did some mantle damage, but the foot still looks okay. Only time will tell though. I pulled out as many of the bigger ones as I could catch and flushed them down the loo. They always give me the willies regardless of size.

Not the clam!!!!! :(
  • 4 weeks later...

So, I think I have decided that I am going to sell this tank as-is in favour of starting afresh with my new build.

It's going to be a sad parting of ways, and I will always have a soft spot for the NanoCube, but I just don't have room for both tanks.

Thank you to all who have followed this tank over the years. I am sure it will find a good home! fingerscrossed

Archived