Top Shelf Aquatics

•The Magic Kingdom 3g Pico• Retired

Jacob042426

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i clicked saw the song and still dont understand how this relates to anything.

It's just awesome. She's the duck chick in my avatar. :wub:

MD, orchids are arguably the most advanced plants on the planet,with some 2000 species they are the largest and most diverse plant family in the world, being one of the first flowering plants to come into existence they have had millions of years to evolve into alien like beings, here are a few examples of just how specialized these plants are, a brassiovala species native to madagascar can only be pollinated by one species of moth, also orchid seeds lack the 'yolk' sac that other plant seeds have,insted the seeds are at or near microscopic with only a congregation of 4-10 cells that can only grow if added to a sucrose mixture, in the wild the seed allows a mychorrizal fungus to invade the seed, the cells then release a mixture of manipulative proteins and acids that basically rearrange the fungus into sucrose so it can then form a protocorm,a small, spherical congregation of cells that can perform photosynthesis,finally after up to 10 years it from seed to protocorm it produces it's first tiny leaf, then in another 3-5 years can it actually flower phragmepediums paphiopedilums cyprepediums and mexipediums have what's called a labelum which is the lower two petals fuzes into a cup or slipper shape that it uses to trap bees an force them out of an opening with a pollen sac in the exit opening, ophrys orchids mimic female bees in their appearance and produce a sent almost molecularly identical to that of female bees,the male bees then try to mate with the flower pllonating it in the process...just my 2 cents

MD, orchids are arguably the most advanced plants on the planet,with some 2000 species they are the largest and most diverse plant family in the world, being one of the first flowering plants to come into existence they have had millions of years to evolve into alien like beings, here are a few examples of just how specialized these plants are, a brassiovala species native to madagascar can only be pollinated by one species of moth, also orchid seeds lack the 'yolk' sac that other plant seeds have,insted the seeds are at or near microscopic with only a congregation of 4-10 cells that can only grow if added to a sucrose mixture, in the wild the seed allows a mychorrizal fungus to invade the seed, the cells then release a mixture of manipulative proteins and acids that basically rearrange the fungus into sucrose so it can then form a protocorm,a small, spherical congregation of cells that can perform photosynthesis,finally after up to 10 years it from seed to protocorm it produces it's first tiny leaf, then in another 3-5 years can it actually flower phragmepediums paphiopedilums cyprepediums and mexipediums have what's called a labelum which is the lower two petals fuzes into a cup or slipper shape that it uses to trap bees an force them out of an opening with a pollen sac in the exit opening, ophrys orchids mimic female bees in their appearance and produce a sent almost molecularly identical to that of female bees,the male bees then try to mate with the flower pllonating it in the process...just my 2 cents

Yeah, definitely the most advanced IMO. Probably more advanced than Nepenthes, which have modified their leaves into pitchers that secrete digestive enzymes into a stick fluid that traps and dissolves their prey. In the fluid, the plant also produces it's own anti-bacterial remedy to keep stuff from growing in the pitcher fluid, which is used as a general elixer in India and is now being used in medications.

Orchids are also more advanced than the genus Amorphophallus, which simulates a rotting corpse not only by odor, but it produces heat like a rotting corpse would to attract flies to come and pollinate the flowers. This plant is also suspected to create it's own magnetic field, which is under research right now, but on delay due to the absence of flowers on the Amorphophallus titanum, the largest flower in the world, growing to over 20 feet tall.

Orchids are so advanced. :P

Not sure if sarcastic or serious

Sarcastic. IMO orchids aren't that "advanced," per se, just a slow-growing plant with pretty flowers.

Eh, Amorphophallus sure is badass B) but ophrys orchids are MUCH more advanced than nepenthes, ##### anti bacterial secretions, try practically imitating the scent of female bees down to the molecule without a lab Amorphophallus is probably more advanced than ophrys IMO though

Jacob042426
I love how this thread is almost completely the thing of which these things are not meant to be......

lol

Me too. :lol:

So any updates with the tank?

Nope

Eh, Amorphophallus sure is badass B) but ophrys orchids are MUCH more advanced than nepenthes, ##### anti bacterial secretions, try practically imitating the scent of female bees down to the molecule without a lab Amorphophallus is probably more advanced than ophrys IMO though

Nepenthes > Amorphophallus > Orchids :P

:rolleyes:

Nepenthes > Amorphophallus > Orchids :P

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo euphy, where do you get your nepenthes, they seem to be an interesting plant

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo euphy, where do you get your nepenthes, they seem to be an interesting plant

At a place. :happy:

ANSWER ME VILE BEING pleeease :flower:

I can give you some good places online to buy some if you want to know...

Ok :happy:

black jungle terrarium supply

cpjungle

pet flytrap

california carnivores

leilani nepenthes

Just a few that I've gotten mine from. All of them have a good rep. Just make sure you don't buy small sized ones, those are usually a few inches across. But medium or large ones, despite the extra cash. It will take two years to get a small one to medium size, a year for a medium to get to large, but the large will grow like weeds. Anything with a 6" leafspan is perfect.

EDIT: If you're serious about buying some to start up a new hobby, or even just buying some for a terrarium, let me know and I can make some species suggestions. All nepenthes are super easy to please as long as you stay in their temperature range. Highlanders like 50F nights but come with nights in the 60s well and like 70-80 degree day temperatures. Lowlanders shouldn't go lower than 65 or 70 at night and like 85-100 degree day temperatures. Stay away from ultrahighlanders, they're super cool, but expensive and difficult to please. They like nights in the mid to high forties and the air has to be saturated at that temperature.

If your interested in keeping PDF's just PM me

I am, but they're too expensive and too much work. You have to like buy them live food and crap. :lol:

PDF = Nepenthes food... :rolleyes:

Actually you breed the live food, I have been looking to sell a few of my orchids and dart frogs for a while, I have P.aurotaenia and R.variabilis

Actually you breed the live food, I have been looking to sell a few of my orchids and dart frogs for a while, I have P.aurotaenia and R.variabilis

Bleh, can't keep thumbnails and I don't like orchids much enough to pay a lot for one. I'll just get a $10 at Trade Joe's and see if it lives. :P

You know, for the smallest kind of dart, they sure do require a lot of space. <_<

It's like all, "Oh, you need a 3000 gallon VIVARIUM to keep D. Azureus. No, a 10 gallon is to small even though people breed them in those. It's just not recommended, BLEH." :angry:

Archived