SaltCritters.com

Biocube 29g first saltwater tank

cdrewferd

Hey guys. I'm new here and this is my first saltwater tank. Actually, it's my first aquarium ever. I've always thought that saltwater would be funner and more interesting as you can do all the different corals and fish. I looked on craigslist around my area and was able to find a nice Biocube 29 gallon with 20lbs of rock, sand, clown, colorful wrasse, bubble anemone, and some hermits and snails. Bought the setup for $200.

Once I got it home I set it up in my bedroom for now as I need to build a stand to put it where my wife wants it. Initially it just looked like this:

184447dc.jpg

Today I added a few more rocks and redid the scape to make it look like this:

bbe85d82.jpg

I also added a small zoa frag for my first coral:

f3117fda.jpg

Couple of questions for you guys.

1. What do you think of the scape, I should have plenty of room for corals.

2. Is there any way that I can get the zoas off of the plug that they came with? I would prefer to put them on the flatter rock in the front middle of the tank.

3. Is my powerhead placement good? It's in the front left corner. It's a Koralia nano 425 gph.

I've got the media rack and fuge rack on order from inTank. also have the submersible LED and media in that order as well. I'll try to update this build as I go. Hopefully I can start on the stand before I get the urge to add anything else.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zoa will grow over frag and onto rock so u have no worries about anyone ever seeing the frag. best bet is to leave it alone. as far as aqua scape everyone has their own taste. looks good to me but may not to another. its all up to what you like and trust me u will be constantly fiddling with it lol. nice find for the cube. ive been looking for a good deal. another reefer found a brand new 29g cube for $150 at pet smart. im hoping they have a cyber monday sale just like the black friday one where he found it.

Hey guys. I'm new here and this is my first saltwater tank. Actually, it's my first aquarium ever. I've always thought that saltwater would be funner and more interesting as you can do all the different corals and fish. I looked on craigslist around my area and was able to find a nice Biocube 29 gallon with 20lbs of rock, sand, clown, colorful wrasse, bubble anemone, and some hermits and snails. Bought the setup for $200.

Once I got it home I set it up in my bedroom for now as I need to build a stand to put it where my wife wants it. Initially it just looked like this:

Couple of questions for you guys.

1. What do you think of the scape, I should have plenty of room for corals.

2. Is there any way that I can get the zoas off of the plug that they came with? I would prefer to put them on the flatter rock in the front middle of the tank.

3. Is my powerhead placement good? It's in the front left corner. It's a Koralia nano 425 gph.

I've got the media rack and fuge rack on order from inTank. also have the submersible LED and media in that order as well. I'll try to update this build as I go. Hopefully I can start on the stand before I get the urge to add anything else.

Good deal!

1. Scape is fine.As cdr said it's up to you.

2. Put em wherever you want and with time the plug will be covered. If the frag disc has a plug on the bottom I used a tile snapper to break it off.

3. Powerhead placement is good.

Question, what are you using for making water? RODI is practically a must in this hobby whether you make it yourself or buy it. Also, this hobby has no stupid questions. So ask away.

I started a BC29 as my first aquarium too and love it. It's an expensive hobby but also very rewarding!

ApiratenamedJohn

I use a razor blade to scrape them off the plugs if they aren't already encrusted on it. I love the scape, I'm trying to do something similar once mine clears up. Right now it is still kinda cloudy.

Thanks for the tips on getting the frag disc off the plug.

On the RO/DI, I don't have one yet but am looking into it. Right now it'll just be weekly runs to the LFS. I did find one that looked good, the Mighty Mite. It's only a 3 stage, but it has the DI and it's only a little over $100. Good price for a beginner.

Would you guys do either this one:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOO...per-75-GPD.html

Or the smaller one:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/M...h-DI-Added.html

Had my water checked last night at the LFS. Everything looks good except ph, that's a little low. Bought some stuff to bring it up and will wait about a week before I add anything. My bubble anemone seems to like the new scape as he's moved a bit and is more open and "flowing" than he has been since I moved the tank last Tuesday.

Had my water checked last night at the LFS. Everything looks good except ph, that's a little low. Bought some stuff to bring it up and will wait about a week before I add anything. My bubble anemone seems to like the new scape as he's moved a bit and is more open and "flowing" than he has been since I moved the tank last Tuesday.

Be careful adding anything to your tank to directly change values. How low is a little low? My advice is to get your own test kits and track the results in a spreadsheet. This way you can spot trends over time that your LFS won't.

i like the rock additions.. where did you get the pieces from?

never mind.. i thought i was in the local club website.. LOL

like i said.. it look like a good set up.. way better then just lumping it all against the back wall

Yea, I'm looking at getting my own test kit here soon. Anybody know of an app for the iPhone to input the values and have it graph it out over time? Just joking, but it would be kinda handy.

I'm liking the scape more and more. I've seen some where it's all against the back wall and this just looks better to my eye.

Any feedback on the above RO/DI units?

Yea, I'm looking at getting my own test kit here soon. Anybody know of an app for the iPhone to input the values and have it graph it out over time? Just joking, but it would be kinda handy.

I'm liking the scape more and more. I've seen some where it's all against the back wall and this just looks better to my eye.

Any feedback on the above RO/DI units?

I went with a 50gpd and don't have regrets yet. I figure whenever I upgrade I'll get a larger unit then. I've heard nothing but positives on AWI units.

As for app on the iPhone. Check out the Apex Jr controller. I can graph temp, and when I get a probe, ph and access and control my apex from my iPhone :).

Reef Hollister

1. I really like the scape.

2. Like previously said, the zoas will soon grow over the plug, but you can remove them with a razor. If you do choose to do this, make sure to wear gloves and eye protection. Zoas contain a nasty toxin that will cause major problems if it gets in your blood system or eyes.

3. Placement is fine now, but you really won't know where the final placement should be until all coral are in place.

Got some stuff in the mail last night. Couldn't wait to put it in.

ff12e06a.jpg

Here's everything laid out on our bed.

e0977b06.jpg

The construction of the media and fuge baskets is amazing. Everything is laser cut and looks great. The fit and finish is above what I was expecting, but that's a good thing.

ab6e1f31.jpg

af41c968.jpg

Here is the media basket loaded up with the filter floss on top, then the Purigen and then the Chem-Pure Elite.

75254ce3.jpg

Here's how the media basket and fuge basket fit into the middle chamber on the BioCube 29.

779d86ee.jpg

Here's the fish saver.

b97552f0.jpg

This is a frag of Kenya tree that I got from Kaina, aka Dracx.

872cda4a.jpg

Also a few Nassarius Snails that I got the other day.

f12f6215.jpg

I also upgraded the stock return pump to the Maxi-Jet 1200. Man does that thing flow a lot more water. Haven't put the submersible light in yet as I need to get some cheato to put in the fuge rack.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks guys.

I'm starting to get a lot of algae on the rocks and glass. Also have stuff all I over the sand. What kind of cleanup crew should I get?  I'm gonna get a peppermint shrimp as I have a lot of aptasia as well.

Thanks guys.

I'm starting to get a lot of algae on the rocks and glass. Also have stuff all I over the sand. What kind of cleanup crew should I get?  I'm gonna get a peppermint shrimp as I have a lot of aptasia as well.

If you have a lot of aptasia get two peppermint shrimp. Get 5 or 6 snails and 5 or 6 hermits. Don't get more than 1 turbo snail or they'll die fairly quickly. Ask me how I know!

I added some cleanup crew this morning. Some snails, don't remember which ones, an emerald crab and a peppermint. 

2087cfed.jpg

Acclimated them all and added. I had just fed the fish, but the six-line wrasse went right after the peppermint. Within minutes, while I was trying to add the other items, the peppermint was dead. Well, that sucks. As I was talking to the LFS they gave me a better idea how I should have added the peppermint, but they also said that in a small tank the six-line probably would find him no matter what. While this conversation was going on I was watching the fish and the six-line kept going after the clown. Well, this wasn't going to work. LFS said they would give me a credit just bring him in. Problem was I didn't have a net. Went to the LFS and bought a net. Came home and tried to catch the six-line. Dang they are fast. I ended up having to take all my rock out of the tank, except the piece the bubble was attached to, and kept trying. Still took about 10 minutes. Couldn't imagine trying to catch one of these in a big tank. Took him in and picked up 2 Bangai Cardinals. 

33f69815.jpg

Also picked up another peppermint. Unfortunately while acclimating, that peppermint died too. Before I bought the cardinals I had them test my water and they said everything looked really good. Called them and they said to bring it in and they'll give me another, though I'm going to try for something else.

Do you guys know what size loc-line splitter and tube I would need to do dual outlets on the return? I've seen other tanks like this and would like to be able to manipulate my flow a little more.

Got a few things at a sale here in Colorado yesterday. Redid the rocks a little. The top 2 are now leaning on the back wall as that made them more stable.

3f7361a5.jpg

I bought this hammer and acan yesterday.

5b2edd79.jpg

Not sure if this rock is the best spot for the zoas.

bfafc1b8.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.

Come on guys. Really looking for some feedback. I'm thinking about switching the rocks. Basically put the flat one on the right and the purple on the left. This would work with how it'll be positioned once I get the stand built for my living room. What do you guys think?

Do you guys know what size loc-line splitter and tube I would need to do dual outlets on the return? I've seen other tanks like this and would like to be able to manipulate my flow a little more.

Sucks about the shrimp and the six-line. Mine has been a model citizen to date but it's only been a few months. Might consider a cleaner shrimp. We love ours and we've spied him actively cleaning some of the fish.

As for dual outlets I'd pass. I did it and it cut down flow enough that I had stuff growing inside the loc-line. Only do it if you have flow dead spots that a dual return could take care of for you IMO.

RedStang, thanks for the info on the dual outlets. I'll just work with what I have and make it work.

spazizz, you have a point. Not sure if I'm sold on this setup either, but I kind of like the flat rock. Guess I could always turn it on its side and let some zoas or something grow all around it.

Archived