Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kev's 9.2g

aquakevem

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my shipments arrived from BRS today, which included a 42mm glass drill bit and bulkheads.

My local fish store does not have the proper equipment to drill holes intended for 3/4" bulkheads, so i had to drill the tank myself.

IMAG0625-1.jpg

SDC10024.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

ATO(Auto Top-off) system

I decided to try Avast Marine's Digital Top-off Kit, AquaController Apex version.

IMAG0691-1-2.jpg

IMAG1304.jpg

• Delivery pump
    EHEIM 1048, ran externally

EHEIM 1048 pumping water to my ATO, inside a container for testing purposes

IMAG0229-1-1-1.jpg

1/30/12 Testing delivery feed @ 59"

IMAG0218-1.jpg

2/21/12 Added a valve to decrease the amount of flow coming from the feed pump

IMAG1414-1.jpg

this is getting good. cant wait to see more.

Thanks Jrmiller!

I am just trying to catch up to you all <10 gallon tank owners, hopefully my tank will be ready before the end of the month. ;)

-Kevin

Thanks Jrmiller!

I am just trying to catch up to you all <10 gallon tank owners, hopefully my tank will be ready before the end of the month. ;)

-Kevin

Hey bro everythings coming together it looks like! Went up to mr coral on sat and had a crappy experience...text me and I'll share the details.

Hey bro everythings coming together it looks like! Went up to mr coral on sat and had a crappy experience...text me and I'll share the details.

Everything is coming along pretty well my friend.

The only problem i have is shopping online for SCH 80 plumbing, never is there a one stop shop...

Here's a quick FTS(Pay no attention to the dust)

-_-

IMAG0792-1-1.jpg

Looking awesome so far. Great journal. I especially appreciate the details about the plumbing. I want to drill a tank, but I don't really know which bulk heads to use.

Your closed loop diagram looks interesting - Are you going sumpless for this tank?

Btw, the avast marine ATO is awesome. Definitely a good product, but seems really over priced for what it is. I have used the avast, a DIY one I made, and autotopoff.com ATO's, and this one is by far the best.

Clean. B)

An ongoing challenge to keep it that way, much appreciated!

Looking awesome so far. Great journal. I especially appreciate the details about the plumbing. I want to drill a tank, but I don't really know which bulk heads to use.

Thank you,

How large of a tank/system do you have interest in setting up? Which application would you need to drill for?

I choose to use heavy duty(SCH 80) PVC bulkheads, simply for the purpose of aesthetics(Instead on the commonly used 'ABS plastic' bulkheads). 3/4'' plumbing is being used to move as much water as possible, even suitable for a higher output pump to be added in the future.

Tank looks gnarly! Can't wait for you to fill her!

Yeah, me to bro!(That's what she said Lol..)

Your closed loop diagram looks interesting - Are you going sumpless for this tank?

Btw, the avast marine ATO is awesome. Definitely a good product, but seems really over priced for what it is. I have used the avast, a DIY one I made, and autotopoff.com ATO's, and this one is by far the best.

Sumpless indeed, lack of cabinet space has kept me from going the sump route, which made me come up with the idea of having a In-Line closed loop system. I've seen this type of application on much larger tanks/systems, but I shall see how it works out for me.

EHEIM cabinet(10-3/4"x11-1/2" Inner diameter)

IMAG0581-1-1.jpg

Good to hear that you happen to favor this ATO. I took advantage of Avast's 30% off Thanksgiving sale and saved a few bucks, but their ATO is what i have been wanting in a rather compact(All-In-One) unit.

Did you go standard or digital?

-Kevin

Sumpless indeed, lack of cabinet space has kept me from going the sump route, which made me come up with the idea of having a In-Line closed loop system. I've seen this type of application on much larger tanks/systems, but I shall see how it works out for me.

EHEIM cabinet(10-3/4"x11-1/2" Inner diameter)

IMAG0581-1-1.jpg

Good to hear that you happen to favor this ATO. I took advantage of Avast's 30% off Thanksgiving sale and saved a few bucks, but their ATO is what i have been wanting in a rather compact(All-In-One) unit.

Did you go standard or digital?

-Kevin

The design is very interesting. Im subscribed to see how the loop works out for you.

Also, I went with the standard outlet if thats what you mean. It fit in one of my DC8 slots without covering another plug, and my pH probe is taking the slot that the module would connect to, so I didnt really have any other option. The limitations of the ACjr - oh how I love it though. The controller is the one thing in this hobby that I could never do without again.

The design is very interesting. Im subscribed to see how the loop works out for you.

Also, I went with the standard outlet if thats what you mean. It fit in one of my DC8 slots without covering another plug, and my pH probe is taking the slot that the module would connect to, so I didnt really have any other option. The limitations of the ACjr - oh how I love it though. The controller is the one thing in this hobby that I could never do without again.

keV everything is looking good! When we going to PAC?

keV everything is looking good! When we going to PAC?

Let's shoot for the middle of next month? I don't happen to have much free time this month.

I had planned on posting an update last week, but ##### had mistakenly shipped my order to someone in Texas... Setting me back from finishing my plumbing/Closed Loop <_<

Plumbing 'This should be fun'

On order

• WELD-ON P70 Primer
    WELD-ON 711 'Gray' Pipe Cement

• (1) 1 1/2" Tee (S x S x S)
  • (2) 1 1/2 x 3/4" Reducing Coupling (S x S)
  • (1) 1 1/2" x 1" Reducer Bushing (SPG x FPT)
  • (4) 3/4" Tee (S x S x S)
  • (2) 3/4" Union (S x S)
  • (2) 3/4" Union (FPT X FPT)
  • (6) 3/4" X Close Nipple
  • (12) 3/4" 45° Ell (S x S)
  • (3) 3/4" 90° Ell (S x FPT)
  • (1) 1 1/2" x 1" Reducer Bushing (SPG x FPT)
  • (2) 3/4" x 1/2" Reducer Bushing (SPG x FPT)

2011-12-13_23-42-43-1.jpg

SDC10034.JPG

That sounds good bro just let me know... That closed loop plumbing does look like fun !

Definitely, had came across a +GF+ Piping Systems(Georg Fischer) distributor in my county. I may end up having nothing but Georg Fischer plumbing :)

Grainger

4748 Forbes Blvd. Lanham, MD 20706

10ft. 3/4" pressure pipe $7.24 IMAG0841.jpg

The only concern i have regarding my closed loop is 'Will i have enough flow throughout my square foot display tank'. I plan on having my circulation pump no lower than 3ft. from delivery(Shorter distance if possible), utilizing a EHEIM 1250(317gph, around ~ 240gph @3ft.) does not seem to be sufficient enough.

A Sicce Syncra 2.0 looks to be what i need, but not ideal.

syncra_specs.gif

I am starting to obtain specific parts for plumbing(As my local +GF+ distributor receives their shipments).

:Teaser: Test fitting what's available(Taken with an HTC EVO 3D)

IMAG0896-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update

Plumbing for the suction side of my closed loop is finished, currently testing for any possible leaks.

Bulkhead, rear tank.

2012-01-15_01-37-27.jpg

I plan on securing the long length of PVC(Figure A.) with two(2) 25mm CLIC TOP pipe fasteners, which will prevent my circulation pump and following plumbing(Figure B.) from swaying during maintenance.

62_Content%20small.jpg

(Figure A.)

IMAG0209-2.jpg

(Figure B.)

IMAG0137-1-1.jpg

TDS(Total Dissolved Solids) from 'Tap water' measures at 118 ppm.

IMAG0063-1-1.jpg

Pulling out my old SpectraPure MPDI-60 to install a few upgrades and to replace filters.

2012-01-21_15-28-51.jpg

On order

• Flush Valve Kit
  • HM Digital DL-1 Dual TDS Meter
  • SpectraSelect 60 GPD Tested RO Membrane
    *Utilizing Marine Depot's 15% Off on replacement filters discount for the following items*
  • 0.2 Micron ZetaZorb Sediment Filter
  • 0.5 Micron Carbon Block Filter
  • SilicaBuster Mixed-Bed Multi-Layer Deionization Cartridge

Automatic Shut-Off Valve

(Photos)

A 3-way ball valve will also be installed (between the RO membrane and DI filter) to help prolong the life of my DI cartridge, reason being. I will prevent 'TDS creep' from going through the DI cartridge by allowing high levels of TDS to drain out of the system before it enters the DI cartridge.

(Photos)

Archived