Pod Your Reef

Bonsai Inspired Bommie Reef

divecj5

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Woohoo!!! :happydance: You're going to love it.

Dave answered this but I want to get your opinion too:

Can you adjust to a white color? Almost like Metal Halide color? I can't stand blue lighting!

lol, barely winning to Navy < barely winning to Wofford.

They must be selling some pretty good crack up there in NYC.

Dave answered this but I want to get your opinion too:

Can you adjust to a white color? Almost like Metal Halide color? I can't stand blue lighting!

Hey AM. The color is completely adjustable to your taste. For me, I really like more of a Phoenix 14k look; crisp blue with just enough yellow spectrum keep it natural. With that in mind, I run my fixture at the following max values (250 is the max) for the neutral whites, royal blues and rebel blues.

- Royal Blue = 145

- Rebel Blue = not dimmable

- Neutral White = 95

I have the RBs turn on first for 30 minutes, followed by the Neutral Whites and then all bulbs. I really like the mix although I may slowly ramp up the maximums to bring out brighter colors.

So to answer your question, YES, you can definitely tweak the color to your heart's desire. You can jack up the Neutral White value and just add in a splash of blue or go the other way and make your tank look like some Alice in Wonderland acid trip. Unlimited choices really.

-Adam

Awesome tank. I really like the scape!

Thanks a lot. Hope to see you around the thread more often.

Hey AM. The color is completely adjustable to your taste. For me, I really like more of a Phoenix 14k look; crisp blue with just enough yellow spectrum keep it natural. With that in mind, I run my fixture at the following max values (250 is the max) for the neutral whites, royal blues and rebel blues.

- Royal Blue = 145

- Rebel Blue = not dimmable

- Neutral White = 95

I have the RBs turn on first for 30 minutes, followed by the Neutral Whites and then all bulbs. I really like the mix although I may slowly ramp up the maximums to bring out brighter colors.

So to answer your question, YES, you can definitely tweak the color to your heart's desire. You can jack up the Neutral White value and just add in a splash of blue or go the other way and make your tank look like some Alice in Wonderland acid trip. Unlimited choices really.

-Adam

Oh man I can't wait to get this! omgomgomg

• 2 weeks later...
Very cool tank

So, I'm pretty close to a point where I'm ready to add a super simple sump to this tank. I was thinking about going with the following but have some questions about what else I'll need.

• 10g AGA
  • Eheim 1250
  • LifeReef Overflow (up to 400 gph)

Here are the questions that I have:

• Is it better to plumb the system using PVC or should I use flexible tubing?
  • It says that the output is a 3/4" male thread and it comes with hose clamps and barbs. What other “parts” will I need (elbows, joins, etc)?
  • For the return, I would like to use either a lily pipe as it will be secure or add a simple spray nozzle to the end. Would either one work better than the other?
  • I would like to keep the sump really simple as the main point is to get the heater, skimmer, and other “junk” out of the display. Should I add any partitions, filter socks, or anything else or just go simple?

I feel like I may be stepping out into the abyss as after 5+ years of reefing, this will be my first endeavor into plumbing and sumps. It's kind of nerve-wracking :)

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, or input.

-Adam

Deleted User 6
  • 10g AGA
  • Eheim 1250
  • LifeReef Overflow (up to 400 gph)

• Is it better to plumb the system using PVC or should I use flexible tubing?
  • It says that the output is a 3/4" male thread and it comes with hose clamps and barbs. What other “parts” will I need (elbows, joins, etc)?
  • For the return, I would like to use either a lily pipe as it will be secure or add a simple spray nozzle to the end. Would either one work better than the other?
  • I would like to keep the sump really simple as the main point is to get the heater, skimmer, and other “junk” out of the display. Should I add any partitions, filter socks, or anything else or just go simple?

Personally I like flex tubing. I've always found rigid PVC to be a lot noisier than tubing. Also, it sounds like your pump works with tubing (barb and clamp).

I don't think it matters much on the lily pipe. I just used a duckbilled return like this: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...mp;pcatid=14680

Personally, I would add at least a microbubble baffle to the sump. A series of 3 close walls is typical to cut down on bubbles. Helpful site for ideas: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

If you don't currently have any kind of mechanical filtration (filter floss, etc.), I'd consider adding it in. It's amazing what crap you pull out of the water even when the tank looks spotless and the water crystal.

Thanks so much for the information and suggestions D. Greatly appreciate it.

I was leaning the flex tubing route as well. I figure it's less of a hassle to cut, fit, and work with and it sounds like it's a quieter option as well.

Thanks for your thoughts on the lily pipes as well. Although the lily pipes may look cleaner, I actually think the directional u-tube will blend in against the black background. Plus I can save a few $$ which never hurts.

I appreciate the link to Melev's page on sumps. I've been trying to track down all of the links that I saved the last time I was thinking about a sump. I agree that some sort of mechanical filtration and some partitions wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.

I get my tubing from mcmastercarr.com fwiw. they have black vinyl, which prevents algae growth and is hard to find elsewhere.

Great minds must think alike. I was literally just looking at their site. The company my dad works for orders parts from them and he mentioned them a while back when I was looking for random parts/pieces.

• 2 months later...
It's time for an update Adam. How's the tank doing.

Hey Dan,

You're right. This thread is WAY overdue for an update. Glad to see that someone is still interested :) Although I thought things were going to settle down a few months back, it seemed like things just got even more hectic. Been super busy at work and our son, who is now 6 months old, has definitely kept us on our toes. Now that he's finally on a decent sleep schedule (sleeps from 7pm - 6am), I finally have time to get back involved with my tank.

Here's what's happened since the last update -

• Very little maintenance other than cleaning the glass and a water change every 1-2 weeks.
  • No change in scape or coral placement (yet).
  • No new coral :( but I've seen really good growth lately on the current frags.
  • Two weeks ago, I added two Acares Reef Midget Chromis. I haven't had a chance to get any pictures yet but it's a really nice variety. Unfortunately, the smaller of the two has gone missing and assumed MIA.
  • The Black Ice Ocellaris that I have has definitely put on some size now that I've had him for a few months. Starting to really show some nice coloration.

Other than that, the tank went through a pretty decent cycle with the Aquaroche rock. Nothing too crazy but it went through the usual weeks of diatoms and then a small dose of green hair algae. I'm currently trying to get rid of some rogue aiptasia and keep some bubble algae in check. Good times.

Besides of all that, everything has really done great through a time when I just haven't had a ton of time to devote to reefing. I hope to get some pictures this evening and hopefully update the thread tomorrow.

I'm getting a "surprise frag pack" from DaveFason next week and can't wait to see what's included!! It's been forever since I've added new coral.

Hope everyone is having a great start to the Christmas season.

-Adam

Glad to hear things are going well, Adam!

I can't wait to see what you get from Dave!!! :o

B)

Thanks David. I can't wait to see what he clips and ships as well.

I unfortunately only have a few minutes but I wanted to post the saweet Orange Torch that I scored yesterday from one of our LFS. I've had my eye on the owner's colony of this for quite some time and I guess asked long enough for a frag that he finally made one for me.

This is pretty close to it's true to life color. There are another 2 heads hidden on the backside as well.

p482673541-4.jpg

On another note, DaveFason is shipping out the magical surprise frag pack today so I should have some new coral to post tomorrow. I have a bunch of pictures loaded that I need to post but between holiday parties/Festivus here at work, it might be hard to post until this evening.

Also, although the live rock is finally starting to naturally handle nutrients/waste and my Phosban reactor is finally back online, I seem to be going through a small bubble algae bloom. I very carefully removed a bunch from some pieces last week and although those spots still look great, I'm starting to see small bubbles cropping up in other places. Any suggestions for plugging the bubble algae damn would be MUCH appreciated. I'd rather try something natural rather than resort to a crab or some other form of control.

-Adam

It looks like it'll be Monday before Dave can get the package out but it sounds like it's going to be well worth the wait. He gave me a hint that I should keep an eye out for the following -

• ORA Hawkins (I've wanted this for years)
  • War Coral
  • Baby's Breath favia
  • Setosa
  • Purple Bonsai
  • Blue Tip Acro

Guess I better start thinking about where I'll place these long-term. Can't wait!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Photo's yet ;)

-D

Finally!! I'm not sure anyone other than Dave is following this thread anymore and rightfully so since it's been about as dead and uneventful as can be. Hopefully that will change here shortly as I finally have some new coral to share.

I received the frag pack from Dave last Friday and have been giving the frags a few days to settle in and start to look a little better. I'm not sure if it was because the SPS appeared to be fresh cut or just the usual shipping stress, but unfortunately most of the frags were, and some still are, pretty dull and colorless. It's going to take a lot of time and TLC to get them back up to their full potential but luckily I'm not really in much of a rush with the tank. I figure I'll actually sit back and enjoy the process this time rather than try to rush to a fully stocked reef.

Here's what I got -

• War Coral
  • ORA Hawkins (these aren't looking good :( )
  • Blue Tip Acro
  • Icefire Echinata look-a-like
  • Purple Tip Nana
  • Blue Tip Stag
  • Angel Eye Micros :)

He will probably have to help with identifying what's what in the following pictures but here is how things look about a week after being introduced into the tank. Some are making a pretty quick turnaround while 2-3 still haven't turned the corner. They still have decent PE but just VERY little color. I guess time will tell.

Frag #1

p171710887-4.jpg

Icefire Look-a-Like - I LOVE this guy and can't wait to see it encrust and grow

p64338777-4.jpg

Frag #2

p167028159-4.jpg

p305438257-4.jpg

Blue Tip Acro (?)

p357041658-4.jpg

War Coral

p148334082-4.jpg

Hawkins - I think these are a goner :( Pretty much what they looked like out of the box. Bummed since this is what I really wanted the most of.

p172502476-4.jpg

Angel Eye Micros - These are SO awesome. Tiny but amazing.

p17805781-4.jpg

Now onto some of the frags that I've had for a bit now.

Orange Torch

p497418779-4.jpg

Acans - Have really been growing like crazy

p437104147-4.jpg

p27235805-4.jpg

p30738885-4.jpg

Fruit Loops

p498283064-4.jpg

p29506018-4.jpg

Green Slimer -- Getting ready to take off!!

p420127219-4.jpg

Red Bug Monti

p84559425-4.jpg

p429501629-4.jpg

Z + P Garden

p205884683-4.jpg

I have my eye on some more local frags as well so the tank should be filling up with more candy soon.

-Adam

Archived