inTank Media Baskets

Bonsai Inspired Bommie Reef

divecj5

New Fish

Along with the change in the aquascape, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and part ways with my two False Percs. It was a long time coming but still a tough decision as these two were my first reef purchases and made it through all sorts of ups and downs in my 55, 29, 20 and this tank. They were pretty much a constant fixture in all of my tanks so it was tough catching them, bagging them up, and taking them to the store to trade in.

A couple of things factoring into the final decision but the main reason was the females territorial nature. I got both of them when they were about an inch and after about a month, they paired up and bred several times over the last few years. I've had other fish along the way (sixline wrasse, diamond sifter, purple firefish, etc) and they were always model tank citizens. That's until I purchased two Orange-lined Cardinal (below)

p618220054-4.jpg

Everything was kosher for a few months until I randomly found one being consumed by the night-time clean up crew one morning. I chalked it up as a loss as there wasn't much left by the time I found it. A couple months go by until one afternoon I notice the other one acting weird. A closer look and basically every fin was gnawed/chewed off and it was being pushed around the tank by the flow. I had to put it out of it's misery but in the back of my mind I was wondering about the female clown, who was now starting to harass the male (typical ;) ).

Long-story short, they had to go if I was ever going to be able to keep any other fish in my tank. I believe what happened was that in the 55 and the BC29, they were small enough and had ample space to carve out a small "territory." Once they were moved to the 20H, things got a little tighter but there was only the Firefish and Tail Spot Blenny to contend with. Then I transferred down to the current 17g and they essentially chose the entire tank as their property...harassing and killing anything that encroached upon their space. Unfortunately, it wasn't their fault as it was only natural behavior but it was either keep them until nature runs it's course (could be years) or trade them in.

So the new ruler of the roost is this little guy, a "Black Ice" Ocellaris from Sustainable Aquatics:

p655862831-4.jpg

p664260663-4.jpg

The LFS around here, based on some of my suggestions, have started to stock using Quality Marine and a handful of other better known breeders. It just so happened that they got in a shipment of clowns a few weeks back (Snowflakes, Picasso, etc). This was the only SA Black Ice they received so with the store credit I couldn't pass it up.

Essentially, the Black Ice Ocellaris is a crossing of Amphiprion ocellaris “Darwin Black” and A. ocellaris “Snowflake.” I've never been a fan of some of the crazier "designer" crosses but this one struck a cord with me as it has a unique pattern yet looks like something that still could be found in the wild.

He's only about 1" so I'm really looking forward to when it's the size of the ones I traded in (about 2 1/2").

-Adam

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a beautiful specimen.

Thanks Patrick. I like the lil guy more and more every time I look at the tank. It should really look great when the orange deepens in the color, the black bordering the white becomes more pronounced, and is larger in size. Can't wait.

Nice. I really like the scape! I can't wait to see those nice coral pieces grow along the scape. It's gonna look sweet.

Awesome Scape!

Thanks guys. Glad I wasn't the only one that thought it turned out nicely. Now I just need to fill some of the open space and let things grow.

No major news to report other than I used the rest of my store credit to get a nice Frogspawn frag that has several heads on it. It's tucked in right next to the Hammer and already nice and fully expanded.

It looks like I may be able to get my hands on a really nice Orange Torch frag as well. The owner of one of the LFS has a super nice colony in his main showcase tank and although he usually doesn't frag out of that tank, he said he would be willing to frag a head or two for $25 since I'm a "loyal customer." It looks very similar to the one below.

OrangeTorch.jpg

I've been looking for a true orange Euphllia (Hammer or Torch) for a while now so I'm excited he's willing to cut a piece. It should really help to round out and finish off my nice Euphyllia level on the bottom tier.

I should have some more pictures this weekend.

-Adam

Just wait until you guys see the new light Adam will have ;)

-Dave

Can't wait for it to get here Tuesday!! I'm going to try my best to work on a more sleek and effective way of hanging it over the tank this weekend. Feel free to post up a teaser picture if you want ;)

-Adam

Dave has got some quality product, saw one firsthand at reefsmart.

You're not kidding!!! Just seeing how well things have done under his pendant has gotten me all kinds of excited about the fixture. I'm so excited to see all of his ideas come to fruition for him.

I thought it might be interesting to start a running series to highlight specific coral in my tank. It’s one way of keeping the thread fresh, forcing me to continue to take progress pictures, and will hopefully be informative to others. I guess time will tell.

• Armor of God (AOG)
    Palythoa sp.
Google Search
CoralPedia

Background - I obtained this frag from VicSkmmr back in the Spring of 2011. At the time, it only had 2 polyps with a baby hanging off the back. Since then, it has slowly added new polyps although it’s slow growth can be attributed more to frequent changes in flow, location, and lighting. Overall, when it’s been left in one spot, it’s quickly added 2-3 heads a month, if not more.

History - This Palythoa sp. specimen was originally obtained from Norman/Mr. Ugly, who resides the S.F.Bay Area in January 2006. Norman originally obtained this beautiful palythoa from Steve Trieu at New Alameda Aquatics (www.newalameda.com), who is an avid Paly and Zoo collector. The center eye of this palythoa is a bright red color with metallic lines radiating out from the center. The skirt is a platinum color and the combination is quite striking.

Flow - Appears to be able to tolerate a variety of flow; from low/gentle osscilating flow to pretty heavy laminar flow. The polyps are most expanded when in moderate, alternating flow.

Lighting - I’ve kept it both in the very bottom of the tank, where it kept a more deep red color and also in the middle of the tank. I’m contemplating moving it higher to see just how bright it can shine.

Special Care - As with other Palys, they will readily accept cyclop-eeze and other small bits of food.

March 2011
p329394022-3.jpg

September 2011

p1052234507-3.jpg

If others have information they’d like to add please feel free to add. I’d like to know if others have had experience with this Paly in high-light conditions.

Next up....Nightmare Paly :)

The pendant that Dave made has been packed up and shipped off his way....making room for this bad boy (Photos courtesy of ReefBuilders).

nanobox-led-4.jpg

Hopefully it arrives tomorrow and I can find the time to get it hung tomorrow evening. I may jerry-rig something for the time being and either hang it from the ceiling with two simple wires or make a light tree/stand from bent and powdercoated conduit over the next few days.

Can't wait!!!

congrats adam look forward to seeing this on your tank..

Thanks E. Can't wait to have it proudly hung and shining above the tank as well. Although I really think Dave's onto something with the pendant, especially for smaller tanks, I really like sleek and polished design of the fixture. It's come a LONG way from the first prototype that I helped test for him.

Should have at least a handful of pictures tomorrow. Looking forward to taking some detail shots for him.

-Adam

its about time i found another gla on here

There are a few of us around here....just hiding out I guess. The ADAs are usually the ones that people flock to the most :) The link to your build in your sig is broken but would love to check it out sometime. Always great to find others that are using these great rimless tanks.

-Adam

Archived