SaltCritters.com

Llj's 8G... Can't have just one

lljdma06

more blue zoas ftw. if you find that you can grow them out o control - i would be interested in having a frag once that happens :)

From your lips to God's ears!

If they do grow, your first on the list to get a frag. :)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, your tank is amazing! lol, your planted tank was awesome. Mine looks like a mess compared to how yours was.

You all are too kind. I'll consider myself successful when the tank looks good 5 months from now. I've been taking a beating from a few "old school" hobbyists lately and it's a bit discouraging. Right now, I'm nervous that something's going to happen so I'm stupidly anal about maintenance, but I have some good news...

Tigger gets a friend!!

I didn't want to post anything until I saw that it had actually not jumped and that it was eating.

As you know, I originally wanted a goby/pistol shrimp pair for this tank. I originally tried a Yasha haze/tiger pistol shrimp. Great choice for a pico, right?!! You'd THINK! I lost 2 Yashas, however, to jumping (this is with a lid, guys). This left my pistol shrimp alone since mid November. I saw him once as he was getting food, and I always heard him clicking so I knew he was ok, but very scared. NOT a life for a pistol shrimp and not what I wanted for him. I almost gave up on a goby, but I did a little research and determined that I needed a goby with the following attributes...

1. a fatter head (I'm being completely serious)

2. different swimming habits, the Yasha is more streamlined and hovers, I need something that just kind of sits, actually behavior similar to my panda goby was great. My panda goby scoots along the rock work in my 4g, but doesn't actually do much swimming in the water column and he's got his little burrow. Yashas, on the other hand, hover over their burrows and swim in the water column.

3. Price. Yashas are darn expensive. I really wanted a cheaper fish. I don't need to keep the rarest things, I just want a nice, hardy thing that'll do well and look pretty in my tank. Haha, there's a reason why I only have zoas and yumas in this tank! I have no goals..

The problem was finding a goby that would be ok in a pico, granted a rather large pico, but a pico nevertheless. I ended up with a yellow watchman goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus). This fish has fused ventral fins into a cup shape, which means he's a hopper and a sitter, not as much of a swimmer.

fd8cbda8.jpg

I got him Thursday and then didn't see him. Haha, spent 3 days looking at the darn floor and in my dog's bed (yes, I actually found one of the yashas in my dog's bed, she didn't eat it, but was playing with it), as if a goby can jump through glass, but you never know. :lol:

Then, late Saturday, on the side of my tank, I found this little face...

f1618ed2.jpg

d4d7e6df.jpg

fcdfc1cc.jpg

SIGH of RELIEF!!!

A little video. He/she has a very nice color. From the same store where I got my jawfish. He eats mysis very happily.

th_44a32923.jpg

Tigger found him and they are both in the same hole. Tigger does the digging and the watchman brings him food. I know, it's probably a bit too big for this 8g, but the nano fish thread here said it was ok, & I really didn't want to have the pistol by himself anymore. It wasn't fair. If you can get a Yasha or a hi-fin banded goby, get one, but it didn't work for me. I was getting tired of watching a $45 fish jump. I think the watchman was a third the price. They still jump, but when I was researching, they don't jump as much. "As much" being the operative words. Not taking out the lid. But eventually as the watchman grows, I can see myself removing the cling wrap I currently have sealing all sides and corners of the aquarium, as the gap is significantly smaller than his/her fat head.

I've also now upped my water changes to 2x a week. Nothing's wrong with the tank, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd like to get some stats up soon for you to see, but lying in bed with a cold isn't helping. I've got the energy to feed the fish and do the water changes, not play chemist right now.

Of course I have the energy to post here. That's just me lying in bed. :) Thanks for looking.

L

• 2 weeks later...
He is so ugly/cute! Great personalities from what I read, I am tempted to get one some day.

I like him a lot. I wish he had made his burrow on the other side, but whatever, as long as he and Tigger are happy. I've name him Eeyore, cause Tigger's always messing up his house of sticks. Hahaha. A video of their antics.

th_2d79284c.jpg

Well, anyhoo... Time for a wee update. Another suprise. Have you ever had the instance where you put something in your tank and then forget about it because you never see it again and just assume that it died? Well, never assume anything dies if you don't see it. Just assume it hides, especially if your water is good.

When I got my Black Friday stuff, I didn't pick up 2 porcelains, I picked up 4. When you can get a crab for $4... Two are the white anemone porcelains that you see in my 4g. I also had a pair of what are called Caribbean porcelains. Not anemone porcelains, but porcelain crabs more akin to the green trio of porcelains that I keep in the biotope. Much larger. I felt that I had too many porcelains in the 4g and already had porcelains in the 36g, so I decided to put the Caribbean porcelains in this tank and then I forgot about them. Oh yeah, the final week of classes will do that to anybody. Poor guys didn't even get a photo, cause well, as soon as I put them in they disappeared!

I didn't see them again, so I thought that maybe my emerald maybe got to them. Emeralds and porcelains don't always get along. But I was placing some cute yellow polyps I got the other day and low and behold, one of the Caribbeans in all of its glory came out! I found the other one later. They got big! No way Oz, the emerald crab, is bugging them now! Besides, he's actually been a gentleman. I got very lucky in the emerald crab department. Haha, I love surprises.

e7261825.jpg

4547f165.jpg

th_aab0f4e2.jpg

I saw both. They look good. It may also be that I'm starting to add plankton to the tank and they are coming out more. The anemone crabs in my 4g are always out.

Oh, and here's where I ended up putting those yellow polyps. Purty... I swear, I have gone through more epoxy...

15186b72.jpg

Thanks for looking.

L

• 3 weeks later...
Following...update time...

Ok, ok, I'll do one. :)

ಠ_ಠ

Hehehe, cute joke _Newman_ :D Watchman goby is watching...

First upgrade, changed the fuge lighting to that LED fixture that's the display lighting in my 4g and all I can say is... HOLY CHAETO, BATMAN!! :o I gotta chuck stuff, and make room. Need a bigger fuge? I'm obsessed, can see myself doing the AC 70. Oh brother!

Everything is still alive in this tank. Purty Flower, the giant pumpkin yuma, was still wreaking havoc. She like practically nuked the yellow polyps, the new gsp, and the new zoanthids, and tried to nuke my fire and ice zoas. Only coral left to combat a yuma? Another yuma and maybe something meaner... Something that tries to eat porcelain crabs perhaps... Rhodactis...

But first... I had made this prior to the rescape, some nice HD shots. Yeah, you'll see a new fishy, actually not a new fishy. Had him over a month now, but didn't want to show him until I knew he'd do well. So it's this guy and a yellow watchman, and that's it! Click on the small image below.

th_DSC06409.jpg

New Yuma position. Ok, Purty flower has now really been contained.

e3a45b01.jpg

Really bad fts, promise will do some HD justice this weekend. I like the new arrangement. The corals are doing so much better now. Fight fire with fire. She needed to be contained a bit, otherwise, you'd have a tank where nothing would grow near her. Not good.

cb9d9b52.jpg

And another crab video, just for _Newman_ cause I know he likes porcelains. This is a a Caribbean one. I think I've got a hitch hiker Caribbean in my 36g too. I know John Maloney sent me green ones, but I keep seeing a random one in the 36g that looks like the one below.

th_c8f72a91.jpg

Thanks for looking. Sorry was due for an update. Had work.

L

its nice to read your storys.makes me laugh.so whats up in showbiz.

Haha, might as well make things entertaining.

A composer just wrote a huge work for me. A setting of Wordsworth's Intimations of Immortality.

Added more rhodactis. Everybody's happy. Will be upgrading to an Aquaclear 70 tonight.

L

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded the to the Aquaclear 70 and I'm very pleased. I've got enough chaeto to spare and it's nice giving it to friends. :D

I'm doing a happy dance... :happydance:

Cause somebody's sending me some lovely frags.

1 green implosion paly

1 rainbow pocillopora

1 montipora undata

Hehe, me happy. Also, I moved Bandolero (scarlet cleaner) over to this tank. He was robbing the suns of food. Bad cleaner shrimp and this is after I've fed him. Pig.

L

I upgraded the to the Aquaclear 70 and I'm very pleased. I've got enough chaeto to spare and it's nice giving it to friends. :D

I'm doing a happy dance... :happydance:

Cause somebody's sending me some lovely frags.

1 green implosion paly

1 rainbow pocillopora

1 montipora undata

Hehe, me happy. Also, I moved Bandolero (scarlet cleaner) over to this tank. He was robbing the suns of food. Bad cleaner shrimp and this is after I've fed him. Pig.

L

Moving onto sps I see! I'm still too scared for the jump! Beautiful Yumas and tank. Just went through the whole thread. :)

Moving onto sps I see! I'm still too scared for the jump! Beautiful Yumas and tank. Just went through the whole thread. :)

Yes, I think I'm ready for some of the easier ones to try. I hope they do ok. :) I'm a little nervous. Gotta do some Borneman reading tonight.

Thank you for your kind words. Oh, lemme go find your biocube thread. I'm getting one in a week or so. A friend is selling his to me. I started the thread in the all in one section. :happydance:

Yes, I think I'm ready for some of the easier ones to try. I hope they do ok. :) I'm a little nervous. Gotta do some Borneman reading tonight.

Thank you for your kind words. Oh, lemme go find your biocube thread. I'm getting one in a week or so. A friend is selling his to me. I started the thread in the all in one section. :happydance:

I have a nanocube. From what I understand the back chambers are slightly different in how they're set up. And it's people like you who have multiple tanks make me want to set up another! My friend has persuaded me to join the shrimpand planted side. What did you use for substrate in your planted before it was thrown?

I have a nanocube. From what I understand the back chambers are slightly different in how they're set up. And it's people like you who have multiple tanks make me want to set up another! My friend has persuaded me to join the shrimpand planted side. What did you use for substrate in your planted before it was thrown?

I still got a planted. :D ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Great stuff Leeches ammonia for about a month maybe after initially using it so either plant dense to compensate or don't add livestock for a spell after you plant

I like having multiples. I get to observe different things. Never was a fan of cramming every species into one tank. My tanks are actually very limited.

L

I still got a planted. :D ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Great stuff Leeches ammonia for about a month maybe after initially using it so either plant dense to compensate or don't add livestock for a spell after you plant

I like having multiples. I get to observe different things. Never was a fan of cramming every species into one tank. My tanks are actually very limited.

L

Uggh... That's why I'm not sure I want to go with ADA. But I have lots of freshy nerd friends to help!

pics pics pics of the new stuff!

Uggh... That's why I'm not sure I want to go with ADA. But I have lots of freshy nerd friends to help!

pics pics pics of the new stuff!

Uh, ADA soil is the bomb! My stuff grows wild with it.

10d2fee3.jpg

Well anyway, sorry for the delay, I do have pictures of the new stuff.

Update time!

I got my frags from .Newman. Yay! Awesome packaging. Newman, what heatpack did you use. It was still warm, but not burn my corals to death warm. Very cute, all closed up when they got there.

1 Rainbow pocillipora

1 Pink Montipora undata

1 green infusion paly

Haha, very small, but very healthy. Also got a bonus bag with a very tiny zoa and asterina stars. The stars were put in my 8g refugium. Hopefully, I can get a population going for a harlequin shrimp. Cause I want a harlequin very bad for my Biocube.

Peechur time. Already they are opening. Got the frags Monday. The frags will stay below for a while. I don't want them to get stressed by the halide. I'll move them up gradually.

pocillipora and paly; paly is being covered a bit by some zoa fags of my own.

f86c51ea.jpg

3ab0ec15.jpg

montipora, really need to read up on this one. I'm not entirely sure what it should look like.

41fb660b.jpg

th_0beae79c.jpg

And some random tank shots which are always fun.

haha, that green rhodactis got big. He keeps Purty Flower from being too mean. May name him Green Giant.

30e562d2.jpg

zoas, neat color.

c3c1c11f.jpg

My oldest corals. Nuclear green palys and eagle eyes. Still going strong. Spreading, especially the palys. Are these, in fact, Eagle eyes and nuclear greens? I dunno.

6d6302e4.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments are appreciated.

L

haha, that green rhodactis got big. He keeps Purty Flower from being too mean. May name him Green Giant.

30e562d2.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that that is a Elephant Ear coral or something like that, they reproduce a little bit different than regular mushrooms, in more of a carpet fashion rather than splitting or dropping babies.

Point is, I really want one!!

I think it is Rhodactis Mussoides

This tank is looking amazing! I absolutely love your yellow watchman goby, I actually just put one in my 14 gallon along with a candy cane pistol shrimp.

My nuc greens look more neon green. Your new paly looks similar to thebotherngreen ones you have!

Yeah, that's just my standard lighting though. Here they look more nuclear.

78b2a5b0.jpg

0c0e070e.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that that is a Elephant Ear coral or something like that, they reproduce a little bit different than regular mushrooms, in more of a carpet fashion rather than splitting or dropping babies.

Point is, I really want one!!

I think it is Rhodactis Mussoides

It was just sold to me as a rhodactis. I like that it grows kind of flat. Mine is more green than what is pictured in the website.

This tank is looking amazing! I absolutely love your yellow watchman goby, I actually just put one in my 14 gallon along with a candy cane pistol shrimp.

Wow, thank you! Huge deal to me that such a nice compliment is coming from you. :) Eeyore is a riot. He and Tigger are fun to watch together.

Some of my yumas took a spill. Haha, same story as you buddy, I got things that knock stuff over all the time.

:lol:

I really need to get some rics. I wish I could find some yumas like you have, they are awesome! I especially love the big orange one.

My yumas came from another hobbyist. Guy from North Miami Beach was selling his softies to make room for more sps.

Guess who's 6 months old today? This tank. Woooooooo!

L

Archived