Top Shelf Aquatics

Llj's 8G... Can't have just one

lljdma06

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, time for an update...

My biggest mistake so far... Say hello to "The Beast"... I have dubbed him this...

58ea7026.jpg

A lovely frogspawn frag that then proceeded to wreak havoc with its evil frogspawn ways. You ask, why did llj buy a frogspawn, that wasn't on her list, and you're right, it wasn't. I thought it too agressive. But my mom wanted it, and I love my mother and cannot say no to her... so.... NEWBIE mistake, listen to your gut. I probably will lose that lovely orange zoa frag and my gorgeous pink and green yuma has not been the same since. It's recovering, but slowly. I'm down to like 2 orange zoas polyps, not good. :(

The frogspawn is now in a corner of my 36g, not wreaking havoc on anybody, awaiting pick up from a person who actually wants a frogspawn. LOLOLOL... This person likes his beasty corals... :P

Shame about the orange zoa, but this is a lesson. Journals are warts and all. I made a mistake. I hope I don't lose my yuma, I don't think so, but he'll need time I think.

Now for the good things...

Lovely pinkish zoa frag. This chica seemed unphased by the frogspawn, because she was in the same frag tank, so she was used to his "beasty" ways.

ad9e977a.jpg

And... I've been hanging around the local marine club (they gather at another forum, that I'll not name, sorry...) and have met some very nice people. One of whom was selling some Ricordea yumas. This is a picture of it in his tank. It's on some Tonga rock.

65cadad6.jpg

I picked them up on Sunday. Needless to say, I love yumas...

1084a07a.jpg

I did my first RO dip this time. It's easy. I like it. Stuff comes out. Bad stuff that you don't want in your tank. Like flatworms and stuff... The coral sulked for like 5 minutes, but I've removed parasites, so it then later said "thank you" by extending...

But first in addition to the two Blue and Orange yumas... A freebie mushroom of unknown type and a feather duster...

c5a2d6f8.jpg

Now, time for the extended Yuma. It kinda looks better in my tank that in it did in his, but I've got more light.

92a85d41.jpg

The club member has a cluster of four blue and orange yumas on a rock with zoas for sale and then a pumpkin yuma. I will most likely take these off his hands as I am now obsessed with yumas. I am weak and he offered them to me. Am I so horrible? No shame in keeping softies for a while. That's what swaps are for. When I'm all growed up and wise in Marine ways, I'll gets me some SPS. Right now, I can make a right purdy reef with shrooms, zoas, and other easies...

Will keep you posted. :)

L

• 1 month later...
Looking good! Shame about the frogspawn being so mean, I really like the look of one in the tank (or hammer, or torch). Nice rics though!

Yeah, bad to have Euphilia in such a small tank, I think. He was a little frag, but they still have sweepers and if one hit the paly, which was also in the tank, the paly would have then acted up and nuked the yuma and the zoanthid. Lesson learned. Blame it one on the paly. LOLOL

I have some massive updates for this tank, but it's too much for one post. So...

I'm going to have to update this journal in stages...

Epic update part I - Refugium and More Yumas (from about early October)

Refugium

I did El Fab's modifications. I converted an Aquaclear 50.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry2004830

I didn't do all the modifications he did, nor did I use all his supplies. I do, however, use the extra chamber to store my small heater. The ambient lighting from my MH easily grows the chaeto in the refugium. I have nothing else in it. I also did this modification in my 2.5g with a very tiny Red sea nano filter, so I have a small refugium in that tank as well. Some pictures for you.

cfc460e8.jpg

f0243423.jpg

Yuma Yumminess!!

So in my last update, when I got the blue and orange yumas from the FMAS member, he mentioned that he also had a cluster of 4 Blue and orange yumas and zoas on one rock, and a large pumpkin yuma on the other. I gave it some thought and a little before my birthday, I purchased the group. For $140 I got 6 Yumas, well actually 7, because one has a double mouth and will soon split. While it seams expensive, I've actually not seen much with regard to yumas in Miami LFS since my little pink and green that died. They are only brown or dull green and still about $60-$120 depending on the size. I wonder what my pumpkin would retail for?

Blue and orange yumas acclimating.

df29b256.jpg

Pumpkin yuma acclimating, this yuma has two mouths. Am in the process of cramming it full of mysis to encourage a split. I want me two pumpkin yumas.

8c4e152e.jpg

Situated in the tank. At this point, I'm still running a 10k MH.

Crabby, sad yumas... I RO dip before I put them in my tank, so everybody's always super crabby when they first get in my tank.

c91884bb.jpg

9933bdb0.jpg

But then they realize that they are in a clean, nice environment and I've removed all the icky little beasties from their bodies, so they open up nice for me.

ee9c55be.jpg

09dfb348.jpg

Full tank shot at this point... I also added some more zoanthids (a lot more zoanthids :lol:) and shifted things about, but these guys will get their due laters. The tank is essentially a zoanthid/yuma garden. Guys, don't kill yourselves keeping the hardest things, enjoy the simple things in life. :) You can have a lovely little colorful reef and not kill yourself.

7a4bb535.jpg

The pumpkin yuma came with some interesting hitch hikers...

Sponges, I think. I also think they died back. They were briefly exposed to the air when I did the transport. Sorry, was more preoccupied with the safety of the pumpkin yuma rather than sponges.

72c780c1.jpg

I still don't know what that round thing is under the pumpkin yuma. You can see it in the "I'm crabby" picture above. I'm assuming another spongy growth. I also found this. This is interesting and not harmful. Hard to tell from this picture, it's hard to photograph. It's a Caribbean corallimorph. Looks like an anemone, but it's a type of mushroom coral. Very interesting. It's growing and doing well.

2a943ea5.jpg

Well, this update brings me around October 12th, which was my birthday. Stay tuned for another update. Sorry, but it's just too much for one post. Lots have happened with this 8g tank. I leave you with a fun video that I posted on FB... My emerald crab, Oz, eating from my hand.

th_02497519.jpg

Thanks for looking,

L

Happy late birthday! omgomgomg

I love those yumas! :wub: So pretty!

Nice coralline growth, this tank is really coming along. The yumas can handle an RO dip? Usually only zoas are tough enough for a RO dip. How long do you dip them for?

Happy late birthday! omgomgomg

I love those yumas! :wub: So pretty!

Nice coralline growth, this tank is really coming along. The yumas can handle an RO dip? Usually only zoas are tough enough for a RO dip. How long do you dip them for?

Not even 30 seconds. The source of the Yumas had flatworms. Just did the dip long enough for the flatworms to fall off.

Wait til you see the next update. Things get interesting. ;)

Epic update part II - It's all in the color temperature... (from about mid October)

I have a 70w MH fixture that Monochrome5 sent me. It included a 10k bulb. I swapped out the 10k bulb for a 14k bulb I think a day or two after my birthday.

fts with 10k

7a4bb535.jpg

fts with 14k

e9f1329e.jpg

Much more rich and cooler in spectrum... Some photos...

f210e8be.jpg

b7c1cf00.jpg

21b274c0.jpg

Now it's time for HD images from my camera...

229dace8.jpg

2d0b1fde.jpg

eafc28f0.jpg

b2b65bd3.jpg

ef10157e.jpg

Now it's time for zoanthid fun...

f4eb0170.jpg

bc9c3172.jpg

15c55c46.jpg

New zoanthid, and I start moving stuff around...

48850260.jpg

And finally... Let's have some video...

th_8c585d85.jpg

th_d9a3a325.jpg

This is the end of this update. I'll be posting another update later on. The layout of the tank has changed significantly. This is what happens when you decide to make your 2.5g only an nps tank when it originally had all zoanthids. The zoanthids gotta go somewhere. There will also be fun with epoxy. ;) Thanks for looking.

L

Epic update part III - My personal bond with epoxy... (from about early November)

1. So I have a bunch of corals, right? Well, my hermits keep knocking down my zoanthids, so I thought it was time I put that epoxy I got into good use and afix some of my corals.

2. I decide to go complete nps with my 2.5g tank, leaving me with quite a few zoanthid frags to rehome, so I have to fit them into the 8g somehow...

The layout I decided upon... Before I afix

2ebe71de.jpg

detail of the fire & ice bridge. I liked this feature a lot.

f66a416b.jpg

Part of what I really liked was the view from the top.

th_36bb074e.jpg

After the epoxy.

f87d112f.jpg

I stink at epoxy. I did it too thick and it's really noticeable, but that's ok. I'm still learning.

Little fire and ice bridge came out nice, though.

d758ee31.jpg

The rock with the pumpkin yuma kept slipping, so I had to epoxy that too.

74ca8b93.jpg

So now the pumpkin yuma sits a bit lower. Here's the current layout of the tank. I don't think it's too bad.

8e0b0cd3.jpg

Now time for some fun video...

Crazy pink zoanthids with my paly. The paly has made a complete recovery since its encounter with the frogspawn and it really enjoys leftover mysis.

th_2cab09c5.jpg

My GSP, yes, a weed, but I like them. :) With my eagle-eye zoas

494b4b93.jpg

th_27c34b6d.jpg

New top view video... The blue zoanthids are crazy with the pumpkin yuma

th_066b7179.jpg

Fts video

th_fbe82298.jpg

Final fts

8e6a17e2.jpg

The last update will just be a general update. There have been some livestock additions.

Thanks for looking,

L

looking great :)

Thanks, means a lot to me. I've admired your pico since I joined.

Looks amazing! I am really surprised that there is not more action and comments.

Oh thank you! That's very kind of you. It's just softies. Nothing is difficult to grow or keep, so I guess not as much interest. Also, I'm really busy with work. I don't get to post here as often as I used to.

I think this tank is better than my pico. this will look even 10x better when all the rock will be covered in those zoas as they spread. just about another year and it will look perfect :)

I think this tank is better than my pico. this will look even 10x better when all the rock will be covered in those zoas as they spread. just about another year and it will look perfect :)

Wow, again, thank you. Sheesh, I like your tank better than mine. :bowdown:

Well, right now, I'm sad because my Yasha goby was found crispy on the floor today. Meh... :tears: I'm blaming my cats. I heard a noise near the tank.

The LFS is ordering me another one, but I'm worried about the pistol shrimp. If this other yasha dies, I've got to catch the pistol, return him (not even sure if I can catch him!), and I'll consider following your lead and making this an invert tank. On the positive, they are dying outside of the tank rather than dying inside where I can't find one.

I don't know, I may purchase a glass cover on the cheap today or tomorrow. Do one for a 10g and then allow for a little overlap.

When the growth is achieved, I may opt for a 20k and then have my eyeballs fall off from all the intense zoanthid colors.

L

lol yes blue crees would make this tank look crazy with neon colors, once it grows out.

it's likely that your yasha got spooked by the cats, and jumped out. otherwise they would have eaten him if it was directly their doing. A lid can be obtained by taking a cardboard cutout of what you need to a glass/mirror shop and they'll make you a perfectly fitting lid for around $20 or less. no need for overhang of the glass...

lol yes blue crees would make this tank look crazy with neon colors, once it grows out.

it's likely that your yasha got spooked by the cats, and jumped out. otherwise they would have eaten him if it was directly their doing. A lid can be obtained by taking a cardboard cutout of what you need to a glass/mirror shop and they'll make you a perfectly fitting lid for around $20 or less. no need for overhang of the glass...

She'll need some overhang - it's a rimless tank. Though you could make it exact and just be really, really careful. I'd suggest a half a centimeter of overhang just to be safe.

Well, as a temporary solution until I can get glass cut to the proper specifications, I do have a glass cover for a 10g lying around that can put a lid on the situation... ;)

It's my mistake really. All my other tanks have good lids. Why? Because they house or will house gobies or jawfish. I've been under a lot of stress at work lately & I forgot that Yashas need lids too. Duh! It's a goby. I should've known better.

L

though it may not be exactly necessary - I keep my clownfish tank covered as well .

I've got stupid cats. Not so bad when they spook a $1.25 rasbora, sucks when they spook a $40 fish. Besides, it may cut back some on evaporation. I top off my 2.5g a lot less than my 8g and my 36g almost never needs a top off. Both tanks are covered. My open top FW, has bad evaporation. A cheapie glass cover may be in order until I can have one customized and get all fancy like you guys do. ;) I'm not fancy, I've not even purchased a tank that has only been used for SW. All my tanks are old FW that have been reused. The plants in my ADA 60liter are getting very scared now. I'm looking at that tank with longing because...

I'm now addicted to zoanthids, and I don't even have the super nice ones. I want another tank... Hard bad... Want more zoanthids... Sigh. Yumas too. They sooo pretty.

Random videos...

Messy tiger pistol... He made another mess again.

th_b07e1888.jpg

And for Ewwwwwwwwwww factor, a bristleworm.

th_01cad821.jpg

L

Messy tiger pistol... He made another mess again.

To you, a mess. To him ... neat and tidy/

And for Ewwwwwwwwwww factor, a bristleworm.

He's cute! Pretty big too.

The tank and rescaping looks great, you did a good job with the epoxy ... it shows less than in my tanks, haha.

To you, a mess. To him ... neat and tidy/

He's cute! Pretty big too.

The tank and rescaping looks great, you did a good job with the epoxy ... it shows less than in my tanks, haha.

Yes, but he keeps covering my lower zoanthids with sand. It's part of his natural behavior, so I'll have to reposition some corals. Time for more epoxy...

I may pick up a glass cover & the my second attempt at a Yasha goby on Sunday.

L

Archived