Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

Dhaut was asking about a sea turtle and the general consensus was he couldn't have one because it was a 10 gallon and they need 20. Since I have a 40 I think I should be okay to keep two of them.

If I can't get those, would school of tuna work? It would be a small school, like 3 or 4, I'm not stupid, I've done my research. That's way when they get big I can eat them.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dhaut was asking about a sea turtle and the general consensus was he couldn't have one because it was a 10 gallon and they need 20. Since I have a 40 I think I should be okay to keep two of them.

If I can't get those, would school of tuna work? It would be a small school, like 3 or 4, I'm not stupid, I've done my research. That's way when they get big I can eat them.

YUM! LOL fresh tuna! I know I was joking. I have seen the LFS with 3 stingrays and a trigger in the same tank bumping into each other and all I can say is why. LOL I like little fish that's why deciding on the Midas vs. 6-line was kind of hard but I like the color better.

GL love your tank can't wait to see what you end up stocking it with.

Haha yeah I have a big rule of thumb that I won't buy anything that gets longer than half the width or a quarter the length. And if the numbers are different I usually go with the smaller of the two. I hate seeing fish crammed into a box, it makes me sad.

And yes, there are loads more reasoning behind stocking and that's not a stand alone rule but it helps in making decisions.

Ugh, this is getting old.

YTD didn't come out for food. -_- it's not looking good.

aw man ####ty deal about the sixline! hope the YTD is ok. :mellow:

Thanks man, but I've been watching the tank this long and he's nowhere to be seen. I think it's safe to assume the worse since in the entire time I've had him I've always seen him.

But in other news, here's more of a "final placement" FTS:

Twd4u.jpg

Jason, I've not forgotten your PM, I've just been running here there and everywhere.

I'll be posting the build progress I went through in a minute as well. :)

Wow, quite some issues going on with the move. Hope it is just Gary that is the victim.

And an interesting rule about fish size ... need to think about that one!

By the way - Fi I just realised that if that damn cat in the background that has to nosy at what is going on didn't lift its head, your av would be an awesome never ending circle of cat scrubbing.

Joel man that sucks!

The whole inches per gallon was just a rule of thumb for me, as long as I keep up with the WC I figure a few extra inches is fine.

I hope the YTD is okay.

By the way - Fi I just realised that if that damn cat in the background that has to nosy at what is going on didn't lift its head, your av would be an awesome never ending circle of cat scrubbing.

Yeah I noticed that it could also be the cat following his buddy around the circle the whole way, either way I like this one!

Cody, let's make it happen this weekend.

Castiel, tell me about it! Bleh.

Fl, that's how I used to view it but you couldn't keep a 75" fish in a 75 (I know you know that :) I'm just exaggerating the point) so I was thinking of a supporting rule that would add to it. I'm about 6' and my dorm room was about 12'x24 and that's about as small of a room I could live in I think so that kind of created the rule.

This better shows how free standing it is:

BOOVT.jpg

All right, the build post.

I had this idea before I started the 20 but did not pursue it until July, this was my first drawing:

zmm9V.jpg

After ditching concrete as an idea I looked into other methods, I chose PVC and bought this:

EdZvE.jpg

I added pipes to fit the tank:

MH4mz.jpg

I retooled the drawing to incorporate GSP island:

Ei6uB.jpg

Slather the main pieces with pool filter sand, I used GE 1 Silicone to adhere it:

ltXAT.jpg

Dead Rock and attaching it to the plate of glass with gorilla glue:

ECS4y.jpg

Closer still:

OaagU.jpg

Underside:

ZHEDQ.jpg

The moment I realized it was coming out the way I wanted:

K9j1D.jpg

Full of Water:

TMcd4.jpg

There's really no photos from the actual transfer but there's not much between that last picture and the first FTS. :) thanks for reading!

Very cool - was wondering how you got it to stand up! Also explains the curves and the end of the 'trunk'.

Thanks! Yeah, getting it to be free standing was my largest challenge, finding something to adhere PVC to glass and also be a very strong hold was not easy. I had to sand the glass and the PVC to finally get it to take.

Love it! May do this for the next one cool idea!

Yeah I gotcha re the fish!

It's a rewarding project and you know I'll be here to help with any experience I have. I've seen people use PVC to hold up rocks but I've not seen what I've done and research was slow going.

Is it bad news for the YTD? Sorry to hear the troubles. I hope everything is ok.

Hey...weren't you going to post a video of a certain someone playing in the snow? :lol:

Yeah, no sign of him and a second time not coming out for food. It sucks but it opens up the ability to restock with more peaceful fish. I'm toying with a flasher (or other type) wrasse trio and a pair of aiptasia eating filefish.

I deleted where I thought I had the video :( if I find it I'll post it, if I can't, winter is coming and she loves the snow!

Hey, I heard you all like pictures:

Ff7GE.jpg

2HYyC.jpg

tnZLi.jpg

Everything is still acclimating but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Corey, I see what you mean about sympodium turning green! I was skeptical but it's like transitioning right now... Or dying. :lol:

No problem (the video)...I can wait a month or two :)

Van Gogh is still good?

I have to admit, every morning a small part of me hopes I don't see the YTD anymore. Isn't that terrible? He's not bad enough for me to tear down the tank to remove...but I wouldn't be sad if he "disappeared". I'm so bad :o

I love YTD's but they make stocking a challenge.

Van Gogh I think is happy he's alone. He's pretty shy right now but he's eaten very well and is active until he sees me. :D

Dammit yer gangster, Joel! omgomgomg

Totally reminds me of an elephant.... That's so cool. :D

:lol: thanks pismo B) I do my best. After all the elephant comments and me seeing it myself I'm set on naming it something to that effect. I'm also thinking that all that rubble will be perfect for pod farming. Don't shoot me now but I'm not sure keeping a non trained mandarin is out of the question in 6 or 7 months.

You think it's awesome now? Wait until I get some crazy green or red digi on that platform on the right :)

Sorry about your YTD man that sucks.

But the pics are great! Love the colors of the zoas next to each other like that, looks good.

I know it's a mean way to think about it, but all in all I lost $20, worse things have happened (like when I lost my show male Squareback Anthias :( ) plus like I said earlier, it does open up my stocking a lot more. I'm still not rock solid on my replacement fish, why can't puffers be reef safe already?

I know it's a mean way to think about it, but all in all I lost $20, worse things have happened (like when I lost my show male Squareback Anthias :( ) plus like I said earlier, it does open up my stocking a lot more. I'm still not rock solid on my replacement fish, why can't puffers be reef safe already?

Or triggers!? I would love a Huma Huma Trigger. I would call him puma! LMAO

All the cool fish aren't reef safe or too big :(

Actually that's a lie but it seems like everybody already has all the cool fish worth having. If I didn't like my hermits so much I would totally buy a puffer and call it a day. Triggers are also freaking sweet, I don't remember what species but they had one at the LFS that was like a jade green with yellow pinstripes. They also had a teeny powder blue tang, why don't they just stay that small!?

Archived