Top Shelf Aquatics

Matt's 29g Reef

Clavius85

Don't get me wrong. The military is cool and everything. Been going to airshows since I was a kid. And a little part of me still wants to be a NAVAL AVIATOR (yes that must be in all caps). But that also may be because of this damn movie:

top-gun-maverick.jpg

Few things are more fun than watching Top Gun in High-Def on a big TV with the volume all the way up!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dunnna dunn dunn dunn HIGHWAYYYYY TOOO THE DANGERZONNNEEEE!

:lol:

It's one of the worst movies ever but it's so damn fun to watch!

That movie is awesome... It doesn\'t have anything on this one though!

The_Guardian.sized.jpg

HAHAHA ^what a joke. If I had a dollar for everytime I got asked if I jump out of helicopters after that movie came out I\'d be a rich man.

Behold!

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

The door needs another coat. And I need to adjust it. But other than that it is finished! Next I plan on either drilling the tank for an overflow and a single return or begin work on a simple hood to put the light in. I will most likely be purchasing kits from Glass-Holes.com for the overflow and return.

And coming out here to get this freaking tank!

Stoked to see some progress.... Why not just hang the sunpod. The hanging kit Ryan has makes it look clean!

And coming out here to get this freaking tank!

Stoked to see some progress.... Why not just hang the sunpod. The hanging kit Ryan has makes it look clean!

Hopefully I can head over there on Saturday or Sunday. Let me know what works for you.

I've thought about hanging the pod. But honestly I'd like to put a hood over the tank.

Hopefully I can head over there on Saturday or Sunday. Let me know what works for you.

I've thought about hanging the pod. But honestly I'd like to put a hood over the tank.

Sunday is Easter but I'll be here not doing anything...... Which would work best for me.

Saturday I'll be down at the parents house moving freaking furniture.

Sunday is Easter but I'll be here not doing anything...... Which would work best for me.

Saturday I'll be down at the parents house moving freaking furniture.

Ah #### I forgot about Easter. Dammit. But I can probably come out in the morning/afternoon (assuming I"m not working).

Digging the scape... you need some little rock islands up front though. And that stuff.... sand.

:lol:

I just threw the rock in there to take the pic.

Got A LOT done today and I'm much closer to getting this thing up and running. But I can't take credit for much of it. Aaron (Coastie) did the glass drilling and then drove me around the Louisville area to find a new tank. Thanks man!

Let me start with a picture:

d639f122.jpg

This is what happens when you try to drill a tank that has tempered glass!

Thankfully Aaron wasn't hurt. And It wasn't his fault. It was my tank and I should have made sure it wasn't tempered before we took the drill to it. It even says tempered glass on a sticker on the inside of the tank! Doh! Anyway, to make a long story shorter, Aaron was nice enough to run me up to Greentree in Clarksville, IN to get a new tank. And I now have a new "Deep Blue" 29g tank that has some really nice black silicone work.

IMG_1805.jpg

It looks great on the black stand!

I also traded Aaron my 3 Sexy Shrimp for a 10g sump and a Jager heater. And then when I got home I ran into a problem... I couldn't get the 10g tank inside the stand. I could tell that it would FIT inside. It just wouldn't go through the front or back openings in the stand. So I had to take a hand saw to a portion of the back of the stand and cut a little wood out to be able to slip the 10g into the bottom.

Here it is with the sump and Tunze 9002 skimmer.

IMG_1806.jpg

Now that the tank is drilled I'm going to paint the back of it black. And when I get paid on Thursday I'll order an overflow kit and a return kit from Glass-Holes. Then I'll buy a return pump. And eventually I'll figure out how I want to mount my Sunpod over the tank. Still a lot to do but this thing is a lot closer to being done! B)

Looking very good. Its nice to see you coming so far along from that cadlights debacle.

Thanks! I'm happy to be making progress on this tank and can't wait to get it up and running.

Tank certainly does look sick on that stand! I think that tank shattering was the greatest thing to happen to that build! That thing was in rough shape. Plus the whole shattering thing was kind of cool haha....

Tank certainly does look sick on that stand! I think that tank shattering was the greatest thing to happen to that build! That thing was in rough shape. Plus the whole shattering thing was kind of cool haha....

Yeah, it looks awesome! Thanks again, man.

That old tank would have shattered regardless of who was drilling it. I still can't believe I missed that sticker that said TEMPERED GLASS. To be honest the thought of it being tempered just never crossed my mind. I thought it was only the bigger tanks that had tempered glass. Oh well. I'm just glad neither of us were hurt when it went BANG and shattered.

Ya I didn't think about it either.... oh well lesson learned for the next go round.

Youve drilled a tempered tank now. Your tank drilling skills are GODLIKE.

I wouldn't call that "drilling" a tempered tank haha.

And thanks, I don't know about godlike, I've just done it a few times. Once the nerves go away you realize it's not as hard as most people make you think.

Archived