SaltCritters.com

Tiggs' Biocube 14 (updated pics on last page! 5-22-2012)

tiggs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple questions...

...Do you need to keep the splash guard?

...Can you keep the stock moon lights, or do they have to come out? I was thinking about having 2 50/50 panoramas, and adding a Stunner Strip as supplemental color and as a moon light, would it be worth it?

Couple questions...

...Do you need to keep the splash guard?

...Can you keep the stock moon lights, or do they have to come out? I was thinking about having 2 50/50 panoramas, and adding a Stunner Strip as supplemental color and as a moon light, would it be worth it?

You can remove the splashguard if you wish. I kept mine there as sort of a safe guard incase my mounting comes loose. Also, the modules are water resistant, but not fully water proof. Salt spray may become a problem at some point if there is nothing blocking it.

I removed my moon lights, but you can keep them if you wish. Two 50/50 panorama modules and a stunner would look good and fit perfectly.

You can remove the splashguard if you wish. I kept mine there as sort of a safe guard incase my mounting comes loose. Also, the modules are water resistant, but not fully water proof. Salt spray may become a problem at some point if there is nothing blocking it.

I removed my moon lights, but you can keep them if you wish. Two 50/50 panorama modules and a stunner would look good and fit perfectly.

How do you like the color your 2 panaramas produce, you have one 50/50 and 1 blue right? Does it look like a 20k bulb? I know the 50/50 has more white lights than blue, just wondering because I may not go with the stunner. Thanks!

How do you like the color your 2 panaramas produce, you have one 50/50 and 1 blue right? Does it look like a 20k bulb? I know the 50/50 has more white lights than blue, just wondering because I may not go with the stunner. Thanks!

With 1 50/50 and 1 blue, it has a 20k look. If you put the 50/50 in the front, it looks like a "normal" 20k. If you put the blue bulb in the front, it's very blue. Personally, I love the color with the 50/50 in the front and the blue in the back.

Heat is a non-issue. With no fans and running a 12 hour photo period, I get a 1-2 degree fluctuation.

• 3 months later...
Hello i realize this is an older thread but i am looking at doing the ecoxotic and was wondering if one module would be enough?

If you just want very, very low light corals and don't mind some dark areas, 1 would work. I would recommend two though for full tank coverage. I currently use 1xblue and 1xblue/white and my SPS, LPS, softies, zoas, etc are doing great.

• 5 months later...

It's been a while, and I figured it's time to update this thread. I've been laying low for a while, but now it's time to start going hardcore again :) My goal is to eventually win a TOTM, so I think I have my work cut out for me. :) The strange blue aura is from my LEDs.

fEjfgl.jpg

FTS

sQvVNl.jpg

Blue spot mushroom morph

O8fAOl.jpg

Awesome Kenya Tree and Duncan growth

cgbc8l.jpg

Florida Rics (frag is actually for sale)

bXrjYl.jpg

Side tank shot

aV2i3l.jpg

Some of my zoas

Battled a small bout with red cyano and have it beat. Thought it would be a good opportunity to experiment with peroxide dosing. Currently dosing (1ml per day for 10g water) for 7 days. I'm on day 3 and results are noticeable already.

Holy White balance batman!

Lookin pretty cool though. Those duncans look strange with that white balance.

Haha thanks. Yeah, the iphone camera + LEDs isn't great for the white balance! lol

dude nice tank

Thanks buddy

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've uploaded pics, so I figured i would change that. I'm going to apologize for the crappy iPhone pics in advance. The colors are off a bit on some of them, but you get the idea.

Gv3YI.jpg

Anyone got a name for these?

7TTi5.jpg

horizons

TXw6j.jpg

orange nipples

o3xoY.jpg

whammin watermelons (a few that you can't see have the kaleidoscope morph)

LuXEZ.jpg

green bay packers

VtyF1.jpg

radioactive dragon eyes

BhMwp.jpg

aztec sundial (i believe)

vUzTm.jpg

GBWvJ.jpg

strawberry gardens

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, it's certainly been a while. :) I just wanted to chime in and say hi to everyone that had been following my tank thread.

After losing power for weeks after Hurricane Sandy, then getting a bad batch of water the following month, I had a semi tank crash that resulted in the loss of an emerald crab, peppermint shrimp, 3 hermit crabs, all of my snails (~60 dwarf ceriths and ~8 mixture of sand sifters and various larger snails), all of my chaeto in my fuge, and the overwhelming majority of my coral.

This has obviously set me back quite a bit, as you can imagine. Even previous to the storm, I had backed off of my reef keeping quite a bit due to an increase in business. I kept up with water changes and other daily maintenance, but I wasn't adding anything new or moving forward with my propagation setup plans.

My basic goal was to do heavy water changes weekly until my levels stabilized again and then go from there. Immediately after the crash, I had a major nitrate spike, leading to some green hair algae and a decent amount of cyano. The incredibly large amount of living things that were either stressed or dying during this time (including corals in survival warfare) had my water parameters all over the place and it took about a month of weekly 50% water changes to get my levels back mostly up to snuff. The only thing that's still a bit higher than I'd like is nitrates, which are currently at 15ppm. I'm typically between 2-4ppm, so I'd like to get them back down to at least 5ppm before I add any SPS.

The only coral I had survive were kedd red zoas, some purple and green zoas, a small portion of my GSP, a few small red mushrooms, a small toadstool frag, a large white kenya tree, and a large duncan colony. This may sound like a decent amount, but I had approx 5x this including a ton of exotic zoas, a large green monti (3 levels and growing), a few large acans, a 10+ head pure purple frogspawn, and one of the most unique chalices (teal with pink mouths) I've ever seen.

Here's where I am right now. Once my levels were back in-line (for the most part), I did the following..

- removed Purigen completely

- cleaned all pumps and equipment

- replaced Chemipure Elite

- removed 1 of my heaters

- added new chaeto to fuge

- added new peppermint shrimp

- added emerald crab

- added black-tipped red fromia star

- dropped back down to weekly 20% water changes

- started dosing calc+alk supplements weekly again

- ordered full CUC from Reefcleaners

Now that things are stable again, I'm slowly starting to add coral and inverts. My mated pair of Snowflake Clowns survived and have been in good health the entire time, so no need to add fish or anything. Since I typically keep SPS and don't skim, I like to keep my fish bio load low. I'll update my pathetic FTS tomorrow and I'll be updating this thread with my weekly frag and invert purchases. It'll be nice to be back on Nano-Reef.com and hear from everyone again. It sucks that I have to almost completely rebuild, but the silver lining is that I'll have a better idea of what type of colors and species I want to keep this time around. Thanks for checking this out!

Archived