Innovative Marine Aquariums

My first - 20L

JulieR

Blastos are pretty They grow pretty fast also. The cyno, suck it out when you do your water change get as much as you can .

Also if you are worried about it spreading, which can happen but rare. It seems to like a certain area or rock. Anyway since the cyano is on a single rock that looks like it is easy to remove. You could just take it out and rinse it off when you do a change water with the old water and put it back in.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been looking at a Blasto colony just like yours at my local Petco as well. $34.00. Everytime I look at yours the more tempted I get.

You should go for it if you've got the money :) I really like mine.

Yesterday I took a toothbrush to the rock with the cyano. Got most of it off the rock but I didn't want to directly scrub the polyps to much. Someone had a thread a little while back where they gently scrubbed cyano off their yellow polyps and I think they died. If I remember right. Just waiting to find some macros really.

• 2 weeks later...

Two new corals today omgomgomg I was also able to get a generous quantity of macro algae. Let's hope that cyano disappears again like last time. And if I ever have a babysitter for the tank again, I will make a point of saying don't turn off the fuge light!

New corals are a small, two polyp frag of Kryptonite Candy Cane (it is so neon green, preeeetty. Camera doesn't do it justice at all), and the other new frag is a single red mushroom.

227523_628710547445_58405493_33931332_11477_n.jpg

227153_628710597345_58405493_33931335_7368082_n.jpg

For now the frag is just tucked into a hole in the LR, and immediately after closing the lid and turning the light back on, I realized I didn't like that spot for it. The two different greens of the CC and the zoa just aren't doing it for me. Not sure yet where I'd like to move it too. How high on the rocks would anyone recommend? Most of my corals are on the sand bed and I'd like to get something up a little higher.

230888_628710567405_58405493_33931334_4194901_n.jpg

And here's the red shroom. Being all red and shroomy.

Oh, any advice on this guy? It seems like my acan feels like trying out a new look every day and none of them look like acans I see in pictures so I feel like I'm doing something wrong. IMG_1843.jpg

This is what it's doing right now. Here's a picture from May 6th. Compared to how it looked when I bought it, the larger polyps have gotten smaller, but the smaller polyps have gotten larger. They're all trying to conform to one size, lol. This current picture is one of its better looks; it likes to shrivel up a lot. Too much light? Too long of a photoperiod? The light timer is set so that the tank gets 10.5 hours/day. I should go out and buy some new food for it. So far the only thing I've ever tried feeding it was tiny cut up pieces of shrimp from the grocery store. I'm thinking I'll try mysis.

Some tank shots. I couldn't decide which side I liked better, so here's both:230773_628724185115_58405493_33931610_4355609_n.jpg227028_628724155175_58405493_33931608_3265720_n.jpg

And some blenny shots:

227198_628724065355_58405493_33931602_2796756_n.jpg226473_628724105275_58405493_33931604_7645396_n.jpg

225077_629364342235_58405493_33939995_2617213_n.jpg

Brought home a Duncan today :) I went out intending to only buy some food. I did get a pack of frozen mysis, and I'm excited to see how the various corals will like that. Lights just went out a minute ago, so I'll try feeding them right after this post.

Cyano is starting to clear up already, so that's great.

This morning I found my new red mushroom wedged in a crevice in the rock, bleh. I pulled it out and tried placing it in a new spot kind of away from caves and crevices that it might try to wander into. So far over the course of the day, it's only moved maybe half an inch over from its new spot. It unfolded completely, laid out flat and it's bigger than I originally thought. :) Its new spot is right next to the acan, and I didn't want my two red corals to be right next to each other, so I put the acan over where the mushroom originally was. It seems to have a similar light and flow, although, it must be better at something, because the acan is looking really nice this evening. All puffed up. That thing is the most finicky thing in my tank.

I also got a calcium test kit, so I can start keeping an eye on that.

Edit - Calcium tested at 460 :) Sweet.

I just fed the tank, too. Used a turkey baster. The new duncan was very pleased, gobbled a bunch up. I tried target feeding other things and they didn't take to it as well as the duncan, but I did see the acan, the yellow polyps, and the blasto grab on to some food. Lots of mysis floating around, so stuff will eat over time. I'm hoping I didn't put in too much food, I don't want the water quality to suffer. I have this 4oz pack and I used one thawed out cube. Does anyone else use these cubes? And if so, how often/how big is your tank/how many mouths are you feeding?

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated in awhile! No new inhabitants (although caribbean nerites have been multiplying at a steady rate) and no losses either. I've been too busy to do a whole lot with it because I've been getting ready for this weekend for a long time. Today is my brother's wedding (starting to get dark at the outdoor reception right now actually! Everyone else is dancing - I don't dance, haha) then tomorrow is a big hs graduation party for my other brother as well as a college grad party for me.

ANYWAY. I wanted to post to get some advice. The cyano hasn't really receeded in my tank like I thought it would with the addition of chaeto and caulerpa. I'd like to step up my efforts but I'm not sure what route to take. With my graduation party, I've gotten some gift money. Right now I just use tap water treated with a standard water conditioner liquid. Since my tank is just 20 gallons, which would be the better option - a good skimmer (I don't have one at all right now) or should I go all out and get an ro/di unit? What's the difference in water quality between an ro unit and an ro/di unit? I'm just on my phone right now so I didn't do an in depth search, but in the water quality section, someone mentioned Buckeye field supply ro/di systems and they look like they have reasonable price tags. Suggestions for what are good brands and what are bad?

Wish I could help you out more on the RO/DI info but I still get my water from culligan vending machine at walmart. I would never trust my tap water. To many copper pipes. I certainly would not buy a skimmer over a RO/DI for a 20 gallon tank.

As for the overall tank. I'd kinda like to pick at it a bit on the rock work. A tight pile is never good for the inhabitants. You need some larger caves and spaces to swim through. Your tank mostly looks like just a large pile of small rubble. You should take the time to glue your rocks to form a better aquascape while keeping in mind both space to move through as well as comfortable homes for any noctornal animals such as shrimp.

Realistically, You could nearly double the amount of live rock and get it looking really nice.

Some more rock added :) Some of this was actually added maybe a week ago, some smaller pieces. I had put together a 3G pico with some base rubble and lots of unused equipment I had laying around. After awhile, I decided, no way. I can't be spreading myself too thin. I thought it would be fun to see if I could build a tank just with leftover equipment, and I could. But that doesn't mean I should, lol.

Then today I went out and found this really interesting larger base rock - the one a bit right of center in the newer shots. It was only $7.50 (the sign said "$8 per piece" but I guess they forgot what they wrote).

Some pictures:

IMG_2099.jpg

Before I got today's big rock.

IMG_2103.jpg

After adding the new rock and rearranging a little. It's not spectacular, and I don't expect it to win any ~rockscape awards. But it's better than it had been. Adding more rock has been in the back of my mind for some time now anyway. The pictures don't really show the depth too well. It does have several neat little pits here and there. I wanted to glue some of the smaller rocks together, but I guess I'll need some putty for that. Gluing two rough/jagged surfaces together with just super glue doesn't do a thing.

clean.jpg

After doing some cleaning/water change tonight.

You can see that the tank isn't really being overtaken by cyano, but the pictures don't show the patches of it hiding along the back wall of the tank. I've been thinking about it, and I don't think the problem is in the water itself. (ok, so it's not rodi water, so it isn't magical. But I don't think it's the main culprit). I think the biggest culprit is feeding PE mysis shrimp blocks. I've read that they have so much phosphate in them, and even though I rinse them a few times, I'm betting they're still adding a substantial amount of phosphate to the tank. I'm going to try going some time without feeding mysis. I fed it to the corals, and they're all photosynthetic, so they'll be fine.

I'd also like to bulk up my CUC. I feel like it's fairly minimal right now. Maybe I'll order one of those quick crews from reefcleaners. Right now there are:

1x green emerald crab

2x red tip dwarf hermits

1x large Cerith snail

~13x Caribbean nerite snails

1x Trochus snail

4x Nassarius snails

So bulking up clean up crew as well as cutting out PE mysis, maybe adding another powerhead somewhere down the line if the tank looks like it could use it? I'll see how the tank does with that for awhile.

Oh I also stuck on another filter because it wasn't being used for anything else. I figured if nothing else it could add a little more water movement. I put one of my small rocks in it. It's just a Tetra Whisper 20G filter.

Hi I would move the rock off the side glass, It will make it easier when you want to clean it. Other then that it looks good

Yea definitely needs more flow it'll solve your cyano problems. You don't need to feed the corals (especially not this early). You have to strain frozen food if you want to cut down on phosphates.

Welp. Finally got an API Phosphate test today. Tank water was .5ppm and straight tap water was either 1 or 2ppm (colors were a little hard to differentiate).

I think I'm just going to have to give in and get an ro/di. I know I'll be grateful in the long run, I just don't like spending all my money on "boring" things :P

I'm on BRS right now, looking at this system and while I'm at it, I might as well order a powerhead from them too to bump me up for free shipping. I'm looking at koralias right now. This one maybe?

edit

Ordered.

I hope they arrive here with plenty of time for me to do a water change and stuff. I'll be leaving for vacation next weekend! :|

Oh yeah, also, I was at petco today looking for powerheads (they didn't have any that I wanted). I checked out the coral tank and they have another blasto in stock. Remember I got my blasto there, but it was labeled as a candy cane and I got it for $13? Today I asked the guy "how much is that green one?" and he said "oh that's a blasto, it's about $34" or something like that. Darn for them knowing what it is this time, lol, but cool to know what I would have paid last time.

BOX ARRIVED TODAY. Koralia is in the tank (although not in its final position, still working on where the best spot would be, seeing how everything is reacting). Ro/di has been on for a little over an hour, rinsing itself out. Unfortunately we just replaced ALL the faucets in the house recently to these fancy-shmancy decorative ones and none of them have threads to screw on the rodi unit. So I'm stuck using the garden hose :( Will not be fun come winter. I know there are ways to attach it under the sink, but that sounds a little more complicated than I'm willing to get into for now. Getting it all plugged in outside was pleasantly easy and undaunting. After it was setup for a little while, I unhooked the di part and tried a sip of ro water. Probably should have let it finish its initial rinse out, but I didn't think of that until after I tasted it. I'll probably die from some kind of poisonous filter dust :) It was delicious though!

I took a before picture so that I have something to compare to later. I really didn't want to, it's embarrassing. I regret ever putting tap water in my tank and will recommend to everyone in the future to use ro/di only. Beginners mistake. I guess I figured ro/di was only essential for sps.

IMG_2164.jpg

:/ This is actually one of the better days. The snails have been working on the sand so there are actually some white sections. Can't wait to suck it all out of there. While cleaning it, I'll do a little rock rearranging to make the glass more accessible too. :)

IMG_2169.jpg

Yellow polyps are SUPER HAPPY with all the new flow.

First day after first rodi water change. It went a little rocky [see Xenia Emergency thread in the coral forum], as I'm used to being able to get the temperature water I need straight from the tap. Can't do that with a garden hose. But I think overall it went well. I didn't get as much cyano sucked out as I'd like, but I was starting to get quite a bit of water out and the container I was emptying into was just an inch from overflowing. In the future, I'd like to stick with smaller changes to avoid unnecessary freak outs. I normally do 3g changes every two weeks, this was 6g. Here are pictures!

IMG_2177.jpg

FTS from today, meaning cyano did not grow back to fully coat the sandbed overnight. Good progress :) Keep working, CUC! There's still one more rock there in the front, left of center that's up against the glass that I need to move (and clean the glass around it). I took out a few of the other rocks that were on the glass (ones that had not been in the tank very long. If I'm taking any out, it'll be the ones that are closer to base rock than live rock!) but this one managed to get forgotten among all the other work.

IMG_2178.jpg

The blasto is what I am most excited about. It is already showing noticeable color difference. It is more saturated than before. Here is an earlier picture for color comparison.

IMG_2179.jpg

Baby mushroom coming out nicely.

IMG_2180.jpg

My poor acan :( This guy has been a little picky all along, and never being fully inflated left it vulnerable to having cyano start growing on its skeleton. The cyano very quickly took over this piece and I've felt so bad. Little guy is trying so hard. I'm hoping no more tap water and changing the flow will perk him up and let him recover.

IMG_2181.jpg

Zoas slowly acclimating. They got bumped earlier and fell to the rocks, so they're taking a little more time to open. But they're coming around. I just counted the polyps on this frag yesterday. When I bought it about 3 months ago, I think there were 9. There are now 30 :) Definitely want some more zoas for my tank if they're all going to do as well as this one.

IMG_2182.jpg

This ricordea is such a fake-out. I constantly think it's about to start splitting, then like the next day it's perfectly round and puffed out again and the mouth doesn't look elongated.

IMG_2183.jpg

Yellow polyps taking their time acclimating. Wish I had gotten some more of that cyano around them.

IMG_2184.jpg

Duncan was actually coming out a little more than this earlier, then I turned on the new koralia. I think it was getting too much flow, so it closed up again. Koralia is turned off for now and I'm back to using my old powerheads until after I get back from a two week vacation. Don't want any new changes to have bad effects while I'm gone.

IMG_2185.jpg

Angry angry xenia. See Xenia emergency thread. This is a shot front the side of the tank. Fingers crossed that it'll be ok.

• 4 weeks later...

Coming up on 7 months old soon. The tank made it through a two week vacation just fine, no crashes or meltdowns. Although, the red acan seems it lost two polyps completely? :( The rest of the tank is doing well. I just don't know what to do with that acan.

There was a lot of cyano everywhere when I got home, but I did a good cleaning (turned everything off, scrubbed rocks with a toothbrush, and then did a 4G water change) and this time I'm noticing some improvement. I knew it would take some time to eradicate the cyano completely, since it was feeding off the nasty tap water itself. But I'm glad to say I'm making some definite progress :)

IMG_2250.jpg

This was shortly after cleaning it last Monday. I keep forgetting to move that one rock in the front and clean the glass, derp.

IMG_2251.jpg

Right side. Missed scrubbing some cyano off the big rock, it was difficult to see all of it.

IMG_2252.jpg

Left side. The duncan didn't like all the new flow from the Koralia evo 750. After a few days, I moved it to a calmer spot and it's opened back up.

285527_651652391805_58405493_34160117_3554976_n.jpg

Duncan

282055_651652426735_58405493_34160118_7942645_n.jpg

This was taken two days after cleaning. Some cyano has come back, but not nearly as much as before.

283991_651652451685_58405493_34160119_5101792_n.jpg

Kryptonite trumpet has been doing really well since I got it glued to the rock.

283334_651652481625_58405493_34160120_1945095_n.jpg

Zoas and a hermit.

270519_650719321685_58405493_34144477_2883426_n.jpg

Beautiful blasto.

281863_651224000305_58405493_34151921_2455261_n.jpg

A newcomer. Since the other trumpet is doing so well, I decided to get another. It is so big compared to my other frags!

IMG_2300.jpg

An evening picture when the tank lights had gone off and the room light was on.

edit: oh yeah, you can see that the xenia (actually, anthelia? I discovered the distinction and no one ever corrected me. It was sold to me as xenia from a good shop. Do most people just call anthelia xenia? Since they are similar and anthelia is still in the xennidae family anyway? I google "xenia" and see pictures of anthelia, as far as I can discern) came back to life just fine. I didn't even end up fragging any away.

• 1 month later...

Time for an update, yes? :D

The best news is that the cyano is completely gone! What finally got rid of it was hurricane Irene. Being without power for 5 days meant no lights. No fish/coral/invert casualties though. Perfect outcome! I wanted to wait until the cyano was all gone before adding another fish, and now it's ready. Just have to find one that says "me, me!" I went to Petco today to pick up some mysis and I was very tempted by a little blue neon goby. I don't know how much they stay out though. My blenny hides in the rocks a lot, so for something adding to the bioload, I'd like to be able to see it often. There were pajama cardinals and some orange skunk clowns (although they looked bright yellow?) that I slightly considered as well. I've kind of been hoping to see some pink skunks sometime, I think they look really elegant.

In the end, I didn't get any fish but I did get a couple coral pieces. Both pieces are zoanthids, one is on a really cool rock that (I think) looks like an eel. The other piece is a tiny scrap of rubble that's covered in little zoas.

297027_664583158445_58405493_34337079_977705792_n.jpg

Doesn't the rock look like an eel? With the face up towards the right. Open mouth, and there's even a little hole for the eye. I didn't even notice it until I glanced over at the tank from the other side of the room. I love my little eel rock. The zoanthids on it may be boring to some, since they're a brownish color. But as long as they're different from the other corals in my tank, I'm happy! The tentacles are significantly longer than those on my dragon eyes, so that's neat.

312172_664584171415_58405493_34337102_1068031823_n.jpg

Same coral, closer up. I wonder if the colors will change under my light? And does anyone know what that weird little hitchhiker thing is near the top/center? I thought it was just a vermetid at first, but I nudged it with a tool and it was a soft tube. It has those two antennae. I saw maybe three of those things on this rock.

313962_664586411925_58405493_34337148_496176787_n.jpg

Fed some mysis tonight. Here's the GEC stealing some from the yellow polyps :angry: I mainly wanted to feed my red acan, it seems to be very slowly bouncing back and I figured feeding it would boost its strength. It doesn't have to battle cyano growing on its skeleton anymore. To think, I almost threw the whole thing out because I thought it was a goner.

308589_664592345035_58405493_34337193_2064179115_n.jpg

This is the other little rubble piece I got today, it's so cute. :wub: I glued it onto a rock and hopefully it spreads!

319095_664592379965_58405493_34337194_353309386_n.jpg

The ol' dragon eyes. Look how much they've spread!

Oh also. Some of my soft corals are not appreciating the Koralia 750. The ricordea and duncan mostly. I've ordered a 425 to see how that does instead. I guess 750 was a little overkill -facepalm-. I went to Petco's $1/gallon sale a couple weeks ago and got a 40breeder though, so the 750 will have a home in the future.

eta: a full tank shot

318352_664616097435_58405493_34337562_1100113881_n.jpg

Usual hoodlum on top.

What finally got rid of it was hurricane Irene.

Hurray for hurricanes!

312172_664584171415_58405493_34337102_1068031823_n.jpg

Same coral, closer up. I wonder if the colors will change under my light? And does anyone know what that weird little hitchhiker thing is near the top/center? I thought it was just a vermetid at first, but I nudged it with a tool and it was a soft tube. It has those two antennae. I saw maybe three of those things on this rock.

I would really like to know the answer to this as I have several in one of my picos too.

Tank looking great, particularly compared to that red/orange mess up there ^^

^Thank you :) And yes, it is TONS better! I can actually enjoy it again! When I was still battling all that cyano, it was more stressful than enjoyable.

I had to go to the dentist today for some work that involved a needle, so I needed something to make my day better. I decided to reward myself when it was all over and splurge a little. Normally around $25 is my cap for how much I'm willing to spend on a single fish or coral frag. Today I brought home a fish that has been on my wishlist from the start. I couldn't pass him up, he was begging me to take him! Black and white ocellaris with a little orange face :)

299038_665269338335_58405493_34342613_554635910_n.jpg

319658_665270002005_58405493_34342616_715779841_n.jpg

:wub:

Then I also got a teeny little scrap of (what I believe to be) paly. It has, I think, 5 little polyps, not full size. But it was just $8, so hard to pass up.

IMG_0526-1.jpg

Here it is acclimating. It is soo tiny, and I found out that my last bottle of super glue is too dried up to use. I didn't want this little piece to get blown under a rock pile, so it's in a little plastic bathroom cup (like how some people use shot glasses) at the bottom of the tank until I get a new bottle of glue.

I also took a picture in the store of the larger piece that this little bit must have fallen off of, just so that I'd have something to show people of what it will hopefully look like when larger.

2011-09-20_18-23-52_247.jpg

It's the blue stuff. And in the store, my piece was that blue as well, not sure what's up with the lighting in the previous picture!

My Koralia 425 is scheduled to arrive on Friday or Saturday. The new clown, who is about 1.5" long, seemed to be swimming pretty hard to keep up with the current from my K 750. I've unplugged it for now, as I do still have an AC50 and another little nano HOB fuge on the tank and I don't want to stress the little guy out too bad. Hoping my 425 might arrive sooner than scheduled! That'd be a nice surprise. It has felt a bit like Christmas lately as I spoil myself with new livestock :)

Oh, one more picture. What is the general consensus on this type of worm? :

IMG_0492-1.jpg

This is the main type of worm I have seen in my tank (of the top of my head, I've seen one other type, but it looked like a tiny white millipede, didn't look threatening). I've seen quite a number of them (around 10 maybe). Most are small, like the one in this picture. Today I lifted a rock that I wanted to glue my new frag to (before I opened my old bottle of glue) and I found this terrifying larger version of this worm on the bottom. Not super huge, but enough to give me the creeps as I held the rock and discovered it. I guess if the worm in the picture was like a piece of angelhair pasta in diameter, then this larger worm was like a two pieces of regular spaghetti noodles. I am so glad I wear thick rubber gloves for this tank.

NEVERMIND found this worm on Chuck's Addiction. It appears to be a Eurythoe complanata. I guess it's a harmless scavenger. But still a big creep! :angry: I wouldn't mind them so much if they would just stay small.

Got a couple new pictures today that I really like:

166907_665517710595_58405493_34343572_1019671188_n.jpg

297113_665522381235_58405493_34343584_217599869_n.jpg

Blenny came out for a minute to see what was going on. He darts around a lot and hides most of the time. He has various caves that he likes to inhabit.

That fish is cute! Nice colours.

Hopefully once settled the paly will regain its blue colour.

That worm is definitely a bristle worm, but how red is it? I know that bristle worms are good for the tank, but red fireworms are not ...

That fish is cute! Nice colours.

Yes! I think his perfect shade of orange is what hooked me. I used to favor the b&ws that had no orange on them, because I thought they looked bolder. Plus I'd seen lots of b&ws with a more muddy, dark orange faces, or lighter, washed out faces. This guy is perrrfect.

I got a couple more pictures of a particularly large worm in the tank.

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

Eugh. Quite a few of these (mostly smaller) came out today when I fed the tank mysis. I found this link while googling and mine do look the same as that first image. More confirmation that it's not a bad worm. But man, they still creep the %*# out of me. It's hard to look at it and think that it's not a bad thing, with all those prickles. I saw a large one weaving in and out of my red gracilaria this afternoon.

Earlier tonight when I was doing the mysis, I set up this half-hearted worm trap. It's just a plastic betta cup turned upside down on the bottom of the tank with some mysis in it. You know how that have that little funnel opening in the lid. So far I've caught... one of my nassarius snails. Ha!

Yes! I think his perfect shade of orange is what hooked me. I used to favor the b&ws that had no orange on them, because I thought they looked bolder. Plus I'd seen lots of b&ws with a more muddy, dark orange faces, or lighter, washed out faces. This guy is perrrfect.

I got a couple more pictures of a particularly large worm in the tank.

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

Eugh. Quite a few of these (mostly smaller) came out today when I fed the tank mysis. I found this link while googling and mine do look the same as that first image. More confirmation that it's not a bad worm. But man, they still creep the %*# out of me. It's hard to look at it and think that it's not a bad thing, with all those prickles. I saw a large one weaving in and out of my red gracilaria this afternoon.

Earlier tonight when I was doing the mysis, I set up this half-hearted worm trap. It's just a plastic betta cup turned upside down on the bottom of the tank with some mysis in it. You know how that have that little funnel opening in the lid. So far I've caught... one of my nassarius snails. Ha!

Bad worm, meaning just dont touch it .bristle worm, a teacher at my school touched one in his tank and his finger swelled up like crazy, the bristles are like tiny needles.

• 2 months later...

Overdue update!

I ordered a pair of BoostLED par30 bulbs a few weeks ago and they came in today! (The colors I wanted were on back order, so they gave me the Black Friday discount for being patient. Awesome! More money to put towards Christmas presents). Both bulbs are: 2RB, 1B, 1CW, 1NW.

Sorry for crappy pictures, I'm hoping to get a DSLR for Christmas.

390095_693462833345_58405493_34523530_97113788_n.jpg

377969_693464015975_58405493_34523533_1762504057_n.jpg

392684_693464759485_58405493_34523536_294618465_n.jpg

382914_693465857285_58405493_34523539_2137963275_n.jpg

Darth Mauls. They've changed quite a bit since I first got them.

IMG_0765.jpg

Old picture from when I first got the mauls.

IMG_0777.jpg

Older picture from the same time as the above one. I got this polyp the same day. I got some new zoas/palys in mid-October. This one was a single, and now it has a second polyp growing in.

IMG_1326.jpg

I should really get a new picture of these. All the polyps are open now and I think a few more have grown in.

IMG_1321.jpg

Two of these guys, which by now are four (possibly five).

IMG_1323.jpg

And this weird little guy, who now has two or three budding polyps around the base.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. Some new things have happened between now and my last post.

-I got an MP10 today. Very fun. I've got it on short pulse mode right now. I still have the Koralia 425 in the tank, though it is unplugged at the moment. Any opinions on taking it out or keeping it in? The mp10 should be enough, and I will probably remove the 425. I would only keep it in for a counter flow, if I felt I needed it.

-I ordered some snails and mangroves from reefcleaners a couple weeks ago. Five mangroves, 4 ceriths, and 30 dwarf ceriths (which ended up being about 60-70 snails).

-I added chemi pure elite to the AC50 filter basket.

Does this sound like it's going somewhere? The tank has a diatom problem. It's not nightmare level so far, but definitely stubborn. I'm already doing 25% weekly water changes (with rodi water), stopped feeding frozen mysis entirely several weeks ago, feed the tiniest pinch of flake food maybe three times a week. The algae had only been on the substrate for several weeks, leaving the rocks clean. It seems like it started moving up to the rocks right after I got the snails. I think there was an ammonia spike or something, caused by some of the dwarf ceriths being dead from transit. I'm having some difficulty in picking out the dead ones from the live ones, when there were so many to start with. I feel really guilty throwing out live snails. I guess I could scoop up a bunch of shells and put them in a little cup in the tank overnight or for a couple days, and then any that haven't climbed out are more likely to be dead. ?

I'm also bumping down the lighting schedule. Somehow it had gotten up to 14 hours a day, and from what I remember, I think a lot of people say they have their lights on for more like 8 hours a day, around that. I just want to be able to view my tank any time that I'm awake :C Guess that's not really the best for it.

Between all of these things, I'm hoping something will work. I'm kind of wondering if the container I use to mix saltwater in (or the one I store rodi water in) is leaching something. Both containers were purchased new for the sole purpose of storing and mixing. I use a 32G Brute container to store rodi water. For mixing saltwater, I have a 5G grey bucket from Lowes (they also had a 5G white bucket that was a little more expensive. Probably a better quality plastic? Maybe that's the problem?).

Enough algae talk, though. These pictures aren't from today, so the mp10 isn't in them. Except for the last one.

423997_727260392765_58405493_34654732_705243638_n.jpg

I traded in most of my anthelia. I am minus one clown (b&w, he just wasn't thriving for some reason. Didn't seem to pair up well with the orange clown. I am going to miss that little Bug :(), and plus one possum wrasse.

425646_726620874365_58405493_34651662_1075526213_n.jpg

Got some green bay packers zoas.

394146_726622311485_58405493_34651663_790045210_n.jpg

And this crusty encrusting thing. I can not for the life of me remember what it's called, though. Anyone?

405816_727260412725_58405493_34654733_2115878670_n.jpg

Plus the little blue zoanthids. They had a name, I think, but I've forgotten that too. I get overwhelmed at the lfs. So many names and numbers and things to remember, mental lists of things that I want to get or ask about. Look at that plug, it's so clean, haha.

429522_727260462625_58405493_34654735_1695790619_n.jpg

These green guys are really neat. I love the mossy texture.

YellowPolyp.gif

Playing with the mp10.

Archived