Pod Your Reef

12"mr.aqua cube! Drilled!

gulfsurfer101

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

I've walked into the room and I can see that I have become it's main focus. If I play like I don't see him he will stay out and kinda follow from pane to pane. If I sneak up on him or get to close to the tank he is gone. I have a good pic I took of him and my daughter staring each other down. It's pretty cool!

octopic3010.jpg

Drift Monkey
A kid or an octopus, the kids a lot more work to handle and way more messy.

Which one tries to escape more often? :P

gulfsurfer101

They can both run but they can't hide! Well actually that's all the octopus does is hide. If I didn't have that barnacle facing the front of the tank I'd never know he was in there.

gulfsurfer101

I gathered up some more live foods today for my pico puss. I collected some shrimp, a few small crabs, some lettuce type nudibranches that are pretty cool to watch, and one sargassum angler about 1" in lenght. I got a pic of my tiny octopus dragging a hermit into it's lair for dinner!

octopicsA019.jpg

octopicsA023.jpg

octopicsA006.jpg

octopicsA002.jpg

Builder Anthony

I hear they like toys.Seriously i seen one tank it had a scoccer feild in it i guess the octopuss played with the ball.

how is the lid held in place? any gaps in the design? if not, then how does water get into the tank from the filter? overflow and pump, everything is inside the tank and is sealed? then how does fresh air circulate in there?

gulfsurfer101

The lid is held in place by two small slits I cut in the back of the stand that let the glass slide into about 1/4" of an inch keeping the glass from being pushed up. The glass lid sits directly on top of the tank and I cut the overflow teeth to rest just 1/16" under the lid so my ceph can't escape by creeping over the teeth. I've thought about making my own media rack to fit the overflow but don't want to risk a flood. The water is oxegynated when it hits the sump and is returned through the rear return spout of the tank. It is the most simplest design I could think of with power outage failure in mind. When all electricity is shut off my sump will fill to about 1" from overflowing. So long as my tank doesn't filled past a certain mark it will not overflow. This is great when you need to aquascape such a tiny tank.

gulfsurfer101

The rear section at least. I wanted to close off the open area above the tank and that would completely seal it off and If I ever needed to get into the tank I can always just open the canopy and slide the glass out. On a side note I got me a small recorder and took a small vid of this strange egg trail that popped up over night after adding tons of new foods for it. I don't know if this is the crabs eggs that you see in the video or if the crab was just helping itself to a free meal.

th_nikkiskidsvids012.jpg

A kid or an octopus, the kids a lot more work to handle and way more messy.

Haha both, but I think I'd try my luck at a octopus first lol ;)

gulfsurfer101

Yeah, I would try that first too. It's not for everyone. I see women in this town all the time always badmouthing their kids for riuning their lives or dumbass fathers who will try and toughen a toddler out to be all G'd up. Makes me wish that there was some kind of liscence requirement by law to have children.

gulfsurfer101

Here's a vid I got when I noticed it on the glass around 2am last night. It's just kinda looking back at me.

th_octopics095.jpg

I'll try and get some better quality vids that are not as shaky. I was nearly asleep when I shot this one,

• 4 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

OK so I haven't seen my octopus in over two weeks and I'm beginning to think that he is dead. I thought at first he might have made his way into the overflow box then down the drain pipe into the sump but I haven't seen him down there either. I will most likely tear apart the tank this weekend to rework the stand and get things a little more squared up. For those of you who must have a dwarf octopus let me tell you that they are no fun at all. I was completely bored keeping one since I would only see him out during late night instances. He would hide 98% of the time and my tank was about as interesting to look at as a box of rocks. As of now there is no telling the future of this little box as I have sold the led bulb to light it for reef purposes. It may end up on craigslist, I just can't tell the future for this little box of reef love.

• 3 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

Well I found the octopus. Bad news was I found him a few weeks too late after tearing down the tank. I just set up everything today to kind of flush out the system with FW and he popped right outta there and down into the sump. Now that the tank is empty once again I'm thinking of trying my hand at a different style of pico. Possibly maybe, even, fresh water.

Well I found the octopus. Bad news was I found him a few weeks too late after tearing down the tank. I just set up everything today to kind of flush out the system with FW and he popped right outta there and down into the sump. Now that the tank is empty once again I'm thinking of trying my hand at a different style of pico. Possibly maybe, even, fresh water.

Sucks that you found him too late. I am also thinking of doing a freshwater tank with my 12" Mr Aqua. Keep us posted!

gulfsurfer101

Yeah I have it running now with just FW and black sand that was originally in the tank. I am letting it run to leak out anything that might have been trapped into the sand as I let it dry for the few weeks that it sat empty. I have sold off all my reeflighting and do not see my self getting back into to coral atm. I wanna try something else for a while.

gulfsurfer101

I was thinking of doing a picotope dedicated to the unique aquifer fed rivers up north like San Marcos. There are unique freshwater inverts and fish that only inhabit those waters and I love to take my kids to see them firsthand. I know a few places are off limits due to protection but there are plenty of open places to collect from that are not state protected. When I was working in San Antonio I had a 5.5 set up with some FW snails and a couple of cichlids and shrimp that I may try to recreate in a more natural setting in this tank. As of now it's just circulating fresh RO water. I will be up that way in about two weeks and see this as a good opportunity to go collect.

• 3 months later...
gulfsurfer101

OK so the freshwater idea was over before it really began. I now have most of the rocks that were originally in the tank along with a few fresh seed rock in there cycling and noticed that I had die hard zoas that survived along with a single mushroom. Everything was kept in a 5g home depot bucket with lack of lighting for the last few months so the zoas have shrunk down to the size of pencil tips and the shroom has stretched for light about an inch or so ever since I put them back in the tank and placed a single screw type bulb over the tank from Wal-mart. I will be working on upping my lighting and getting everything back in order before I decide what it is that I will be stocking in here. This is my first tank I have set up since I took my hiatus from reefing and hope to keep it that way. I have about three more tanks in my garage along with protien skimmers and pumps that have cluttered up. I do not want to get carried away just focus on having one nice tank.

Archived