Cultivated Reef

my "CUSTOM"SeaLife 20" MH retro conversion

KrackerG

make it better than mine!

Hope you guys all like, I owe a lot to you guys who have been posting all their great experience and knowledge here at NR…and to think that nobody else has done this... :P

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you get power to the fans? Does the existing fan have the same type of power cords?

I have a 72" Moonlite, the fan is not that noisy, but there is only one fan and it needs one on both sides.

for power to the 2 fans ,1 on each end use a wall plug simuliar to a cordless phone power adaptor. The one I used is rated at 12VAC 300mAh. I would look for an adjustable 7.5v, 9v, 12v. 2 fans would cool twice so at 9v, it would be even quieter. Look at the dB (noise level) and CFM (airflow) when choosing a fan...something w/ low dB, high airflow would be ideal. Ted (trmiv) here has done the same...any info about your fans??!

cut the plug off...the wires from the fan are connected together red red, black, black and the wire with the white writing on it is usually the negative black wire

You could slip the thin wire through the hole where the power wires are...just like the moonlight power wire. For the template, use a fan. Drill! Install. Done.

Originally posted by KrackerG

Oh, for power to the fans (yes, 2 of them, 1 on each end), I am using a wall plug simular to a cordless phone rated at 12VAC 300mAh.  

One wall plug for each fan, or one wall plug for both fans?

Oh, for power to the fans (yes, 2 of them, 1 on each end), I am using a wall plug simular to a cordless phone rated at 12VAC 300mAh.  I would look for a 9 VAC as 2 fans would cool twice so at 9v, it would be even quieter.  Look at the dB(noise) and CFM (airflow) when choosing a fan...something w/ low dB, high airflow would be ideal. Ted (trmiv) here has done the same...any info about your fans??!

Yea, I've put fans on my CSL hood too. I'm using Vantec Stealth dual ball bearing fans. I have one on the left side blowing out, and the second on the right blowing in. I hooked them up a Coby selectable voltage AC adapter, which allows me to select the voltage I want the fans to run at. With that, I can run them down to 6v, which is VERY quiet, but still cools very well. If it gets warm, I just flip the switch up a notch, and the speed of the fans pick up.

These two quiet fans running at 6v, one pushing, one pulling, cool WAY better than the fricking dust buster fan this hood came with. I definetly recommend it to anyone with this hood, especially if considering this halide mod (which I may in the future!)

Reefer_Buddha

well i think im gona ditch the worklights and do this mod. Found a CSL hood with 2x40 that i will convert to actinic and use a mh 70w between em. Thanks krakerg im sure ill be msg'n you for wiring of the fans n other stuff. You da man!

How much does the entire project cost? It can be done in stages. Not much if you get the "real" deal for the parts...$300 would be a good bet.

ANY of those fans will work...Coolermaster, GlobalWin... I like those STEALTH bombers :D without the MH, you should be able to run at 9 volts comfortably...those fan ratings are at 12v

Reefer_Buddha

thats about the same price as what ill be paying except i already have the ballast and bulb. If you go to aquariumpros they have the CSL 30" im getting its $174 w/ 2x40w. Already have the case fans and other crap from the last project. Ill just be investing in the hood basically.

Originally posted by trmiv

The panaflo's are very quiet.  They don't sell them at the Fry's around me for some reason though, so I just grabbed the antec's.

The stats on the packages reflect otherwise if my memory serves me right. They are both good, but the fan forementioned has more CFM and less Db than a panaflo's, go check it out if you don't believe me.

27 CFM @ 21 dBA is stronger than death.

the quiet panaflo's claim 21 dBA as well. they do flow less than the Antec. But, I'm running my fans at 6volts (12 volts is way too loud), so it doesn't matter either way. The Antecs work fine for me.

Originally posted by trmiv

the quiet panaflo's claim 21 dBA as well.   they do flow less than the Antec.  But, I'm running my fans at 6volts (12 volts is way too loud), so it doesn't matter either way.  The Antecs work fine for me.

I'm just letting people know that are building new setups from scratch. You might as well get the quietest and Antec is not the quietest. The Panflo and one mentioned above are the top two picks.

I think I'm just getting my names confused because they are so similar. The fans you mentioned above with the picture, are the same exact fans I'm using. I left the V off. Vantec, not Antec. Antec is the case maker, Vantec is the fan maker. My bad.

27CFM @ 21 dBA @ 12 volts. Still WAYYYY better than the stock fan @ 30CFM @ 40+ dBA @ 120 volts. dont forget since your adding twice the fan, you will have twice the dB. but @ 9 volts, that's 3/4 of the numbers. regarldless, is will be better, cooler, quieter

i agree panaflos may be the quietest @ 12v but when running at 9v, they will all be about the same quietness. btw, right now, i'm steady at 82 degrees....this morning before any lights came on, i was steady at 79. i may have to admit this light does heat up the tank up some. i've been watching it all day, for the past few days and the same trend is happening. for this reason, my fans will stay at 12v.

1 CSL 20" 2x40w PC w/ moon                                  $125

1 70w Metal Halide electronic ballast                        $ 30

1 70w Ushio 10,000k DE bulb                                   $ 60

1 DE HQI socket -use regent fixture                         $ 10

1 40w blue Actinic bulb-same as stock                     $ 25  

1 GE Flexible Cabinet Light LED lights                      $ 25

2 12v quiet computer case fans-30 CFM                  $ 12

1 12v adjustable power suppy -run@ 9v                 $  5

1 computer power cord                                            $  1

1 glass shield -Lowe's or Home Depot                     $  6

1 rubber grommet for power cord                            $  1

Total $300.

Must gut jobs look junky, but this one is solid. Nice mod; great work.

fwiw (not to burst anyone's bubble),

1 AquaSpacelight Mini Pendant

1 10,000K Aqualine-Bushke bulb

Total $300 :P

stock looking, huh? dont bother messing w/ it if your not gonna do it neat, clean...make it better than it was. Ive seen your light, but your light actinic, no moon, and how much are new bulbs? and it has to chained to the ceiling?? i cant do that

current ten g photo period---- 10+1 hours

rear actinic on : 9:00am

front actinic on : 9:30am

center HQI MH on : 10:00am

center HQI MH off: 6:00pm

rear actinic off: 6:30pm

front actinic off: 7:00pm

moonlights on/off: 1 hour 8-9pm

coming soon....dreaming of a 30" CSL = 2 70w 10KK MH , 2 x 65w blue actinic , 2 LED moonlights, 2 12v fans

Reefer_Buddha

youre nuts man, youre gona have to have that suspended higher off the water. The legs wont raise it enough for that much light. Im surprised right now you dont have a lot of evap with it being as low as it is now.

emokid, i looked around and that space light is actually $350 not to mention shipping charges. And if you wana get down to brass tacks, you have find something to suspend that light above the water, also there's no actinic supplementation with that space light unless you plan to run a 20k which is not a cheap bulb. Granted you COULD get a 150w spacelight just seems like more work to have to devise a way to hang it rather than just plop the hood on the tank with this diy project.

Would you care to post anymore detailed information about putting in the fans?

I have two fans that will be here tommorrow and one of those adjustable AC connectors.

The Vantec fans come with this adapter that lets you hook a 3 wire small connector to a big two wire (non RPM lead) connector. I took those adapters, and cut off the small end.

Then, I cut the end of the AC adapter off. Then I wired both small adapaters to the AC adapter (red to the wire with the white stripe, black to black), just wire all three wires together. I used heat shrink tubing, but you could use twist connectors too. I had to add some wire in there to make the whole thing long enough to clear my fuge.

Then, you can just connect the fans to the connectors, and it makes it MUCh easier to move the hood if you need to without having the wires attached.

Then, I put on fan in the original location, blowing out. The second fan I put on the right side, blowing in. Its up to you how you want to mount it, but I mounted it on the outside. I used a saw and removed the fan guard to give it some better flow.

Then, I have the AC adapater plugged into the same timer as my actinic by an extention cord so the fan comes on with the light.

Archived