Innovative Marine Aquariums

8.5 Gallon Do!Aqua

Zo0k365

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice tank, very clean with great scape.

Thanks man. Does anyone know if I can keep sps in this? Around the top of the highest rock is where I'm planning on putting some.

So wassup with the lamp tree? I want details! omgomgomg

IT'S PATENT PENDING.

lol jk :happy: It's one of those things where it's a little hard to explain and it's in a place where I can't take pics that will be helpful. It's pretty basic though. It's a metal conduit that is fastened to the stand from behind. But the different thing is that rather than having the rest of the arm be made of bent conduit it's made of the arm of one of those bending lamps so I can bend it up for tank maintenance. The end is threaded so I was able to drill the back of the lamp, put it in and put a nut and washer on it so it's nice and secure but clean looking.

Tank is beautiful!!!

Your avatar and sig are just too funny lol

Thanks! :happy: It means a lot because your current and older tanks were my inspirations.

but to be honest my sig is even starting to annoy me.... probably gonna change it soon.

So one of my jawfish kicked the bucket sadly and am getting a new pair sent to me. My concern is the one remaining jawfish and if he/she will get along with the pair.

Also, haven't seen this one eat since I got it so obviously worried about that but appears very healthy.

Any advice out there?

So one of my jawfish kicked the bucket sadly and am getting a new pair sent to me. My concern is the one remaining jawfish and if he/she will get along with the pair.

Also, haven't seen this one eat since I got it so obviously worried about that but appears very healthy.

Any advice out there?

Thats really weird! I'm not 100% sure if they will get along, what size tank do you have? I mean, I asked Kara at sealife what they were holding their singles in and she said that they have like 30 single jaws in a 40 breeder and they get a long fine... but I'm guessing that's because they can't establish their own territory's to defend and get fussy about. The last thing you want to do is take the remaining jawfish out of the tank and add more stress onto it. If one were to be smart and patient (usually not me) they would hold on getting another pair until getting the remaining one eating and healthy enough to defend itself. Adding more fish is just increasing food competition.

What's your secret to keeping all the gorgs? :)

Nothing! They're actually the lowest maintenance corals I have. Not to mention the fastest growing. I have had the purple one for a year and a half. It came from my first tank and survived the tank crash with flying colors!

I just ordered 3different types of acans, two of which are rainbow. Some really nice mushies, a rainbow monti, and a crazy looking monti cap.

oh and a duncan

Love the tank. I came VERY close to setting up a large biotope for Jawfish too.

Keep the great work up! You really impressed me!

-Dave

Love the tank. I came VERY close to setting up a large biotope for Jawfish too.

Keep the great work up! You really impressed me!

-Dave

Thanks, haha you seem surprised.

Yeah I like the jaws because they don't really need that much swimming space and they're pretty funny to watch. I walk into the room and they watch me as I walk by.

Btw that stary night monti and war coral you have make me drool.

Okay, so my previous tank was kinda over run by damn vermetid snails :rant: When that happens you either have to keep looking at the stupid web like strings all over your rock that irritates coral every time the sand is mixed a little... or throw in the towel and dry it all out. so I ended up throwing in the towel and drying allll the nice coraline and coral (zoas I couldn't remove here and there) covered rock out in the sun and starting from scratch. I tore down the whole tank and stored the livestock I saved in another tank. I decided I wanted to go for simplicity in a small tank (as many others do) because the tank will be moved from Cape Cod to central Mass and back again... EVERY YEAR. It's a real headache and I only want to try and make it a little bit easier :P Since this will be my second tank and I have already experienced the obligatory "poor purchasing of the first tank syndrome" I at least now know what to buy and where to buy it!

Current equipment:

Odyssea 325 gph canister filter-45$+shipping

Do!Aqua 8.5 gallon rimless aquarium-55$+shipping

18" 40 watt Nova Extreme T5 fixture-50$+shipping

12 watt Ecoxotic Panorama LED-85$ w/shipping

Hydor inline heater-25$+shipping

DIY ato

I'm running filter floss and chemi-pure elite in the filter as of now.

Current livestock:

About 7 pounds of live rock (already had)

About 10 pounds of live sand (already had)

Inverts:

Green striped flower anemone

3 sand sifting sea cucumbers

Porcelain crab

Green emerald crab

2 nano Florida sponges

Harlequin serpent starfish

Red brittle starfish

2 Astrea snails

4 unidentified pink-footed snails

Fighting conch

2 hermit crabs (devils I tell you)

2 mini carpet anemones (the common kind)

Purple bryozoans

Fish:

2 Pearly Jawfish (mated)

Coral:

Purple Sea whip gorg (soon to be removed)

Yellow sea whip gorg

Yellow eyed zoanthids

Electric Blue zoanthids

Red brain coral of some sort

Bluish Xenia

Couple random button polyps and mushies that came on the rock

Planned additions- Rainford's goby, some shrimp (a peppermint, harlequin, or anemone) lot's of acans and other lps. Some sps to try at the top etc etc

The tank

IMGP0333.jpg

Awaiting use

IMGP0329.jpg

The tank as of today (updated with each new FTS)

IMGP1098.jpg

What part of Mass are ya from? I grew up in Plymouth.

Boxborough is my home town. It's right next to Acton and Concord. But during the summer I'm In East Orleans on the Cape. Plymouth is like right between the two of em haha.

Anyway

IMGP1297.jpg

IMGP1302.jpg

IMGP1301.jpg

One of three sand sifting sea cucumbers I got a shot of at night with a little LED light.

IMGP1295.jpg

Archived