Top Shelf Aquatics

Octopus

Lmecher

JeffYoshiyuki
Ollie, male O. briareus, I had him for about 5 months. He was a beautiful octopus with his blue/green shimmer.

Here is a photo of him immediately after death. Notice his dilated pupils.

DSCN0143.jpg

and another with a ruler.

DSCN0146.jpg

Morpheus was a male (never positively identified) maybe abdopus. He showed the classic signs of senescence. He is still alive in this photo, just barley. Notice the corkscrewed arms, and mottled grey color.

Oct2709.jpg

I have also lost a couple of dwarfs O. mercatoris. These are nocturnal and much more difficult to view, they will not emerge unless there is total darkness. This is one very shortly after death.

100_4856.jpg

I have to add, that octopuses are not slimey while they are alive but after death they are extremely difficult to handle. I have learned through other Tonmo members that photographs are invaluable. I photograph everything from acclimation to death.

why do they die after a couple months? short life?
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JeffYoshiyuki
Short lived animal and wild caught means age is unknown. A very small, young octopus is quite a find.

what do you do with the dead? lol if my parents knew i had a pretty big tako in my tank they probably eat it.

I don't know what a tako is.

Did they try to eat previous pets?

Just kidding but octopus is eaten all over the world. I admit I have tried some (years ago) at the urging of my daughter. I found it chewy. Now that I am more informed and have a deep appreciation for the amazing intelligent animals they are, I classify them right up at the top of the pet list with my cats and dogs.

Archived