SaltCritters.com

My Fluval Edge PICO Aquarium 2 Years!

dstruong

Your customized hook looks great! I would do that in a heart beat if i had a table saw!

As for your evaporation issue. Could you just separate the lights from the water and pipe out only the air from the lights. the bio-cubes do this and it works very well, mine had almost no evaporation. It should just involve an extra piece of plexiglass between your lights and the water, it wouldn't have be air tight, just act as an obstruction to airflow so you don't have a hurricane directly over the water. But I know that its easier said then done :)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your customized hook looks great! I would do that in a heart beat if i had a table saw!

As for your evaporation issue. Could you just separate the lights from the water and pipe out only the air from the lights. the bio-cubes do this and it works very well, mine had almost no evaporation. It should just involve an extra piece of plexiglass between your lights and the water, it wouldn't have be air tight, just act as an obstruction to airflow so you don't have a hurricane directly over the water. But I know that its easier said then done :)

i see what your saying but my fan is pretty large. it barely fits. the fan is evaoprating all of the water =(

So I was bored today so I did what I hope is my final light modification. lol.....

Get this!

4x 20w coralife 50/50 bulbs under my hood! thats 80 freaking watts, or 16w per gallon!

I took out the stock arm fixture and was suprised I had room for 4 bulbs! since the fan is whats cuasing the evaporation, I figured why not stick all of them in and see how well the fan holds up and if it makes any differneces in evaporation/heat.

all I can say is WOW.... soooo brighttttttttt. =)

pictures are up!

post-52448-1281189392_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1281189397_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1281189400_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1281189403_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1281189408_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1281189412_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1281189415_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1281189418_thumb.jpg

That's Ridiculous!!!!!! Batsh!t-insane-ridiculous!!!!!!!! That's no longer an aquarium, more like a microwave or something. Are you being careful not to bleach any of your corals, either by reducing the photo-period or putting a filter on your lights for a few days? Are you keeping your blue led's on there as well?

I did some upgrades to my EDGE over the weekend as well. Now I'm up to 2 20w 50/50 coralifes. I was feeling really smug, and now I see this!!!! :) I'm going to some updates on my thread later today.

I'm not dstruong but I can see he's using the same sockets I am. I got mine from Lowe's. Theyre very water resistant. They were with all the other par38 sockets.

• 2 weeks later...

holy sh*t!

i just read through my thread and realized how much money i have spent on all of my different lighting modifications.

How has your temperature and evaporation been? Any additional mods or thoughts?

I added a pexi-glass barrier between the lights and water. temp is a solid 77-78 degree's all day. evaporation has slow down. maybe half a inch for a 9 hour cycle.

I also added a poly filter to the AC20 to help reduce nitrates and phosphates. I am hoping it will reduce the algae that has been growing.

Ill keep you posted!

UPDATE:

http://www.amazon.com/Poly-Filter-4-x-8/dp/B001EUI19W

Poly filter has worked out great for me. before i would get about 20 ppm of nitrates before i did water changes! today I tested the water, and it was between 0-5 ppm! i would recommend this product to all edge owners trying to reduce the leading algae causers! nitrates and phosphates!

I added a few corals and re arranged a few of them. I will post pic's soon!

UPDATE:

Poly filter has worked out

+1 just remember to change it as often as you can. I change mines about once a week or at least every 2 weeks. Its cheap and economical.

Paleoreef103

What was the longest you held onto a lighting system for? It seemed like every time I checked you had a different system.

What was the longest you held onto a lighting system for? It seemed like every time I checked you had a different system.

haha i like to have the newest and the best!

i think the longest has been a month! but im finally done. im perfectly content with what i have now, or at least i think so...

+1 just remember to change it as often as you can. I change mines about once a week or at least every 2 weeks. Its cheap and economical.

i plan on changing it every other week.. Ill see how this works out for me.

ahh, a fine system d,

what happened to the black osc?

How is your tank doing with the 4 fish bioload? - I was thinking of throwing in a osc. pair with a YWG/shrimp combo, and a pom pom, - quite a bit for the Edge

I really like the aesthetics of the 2 blue shrooms in the front - seems to mimic the position of your k nano's lol!

Hope the poly works out for you, I just ordered a pura pad, and hope it gets my nitrates down as well as they've been hovering around 20ppm since my CUC was added!

*i guess there no 's' in ocellaris

ahh, a fine system d,

How is your tank doing with the 4 fish bioload? - I was thinking of throwing in a osc. pair with a YWG/shrimp combo, and a pom pom, - quite a bit for the Edge

I really like the aesthetics of the 2 blue shrooms in the front - seems to mimic the position of your k nano's lol!

Hope the poly works out for you, I just ordered a pura pad, and hope it gets my nitrates down as well as they've been hovering around 20ppm since my CUC was added!

my black clown goby is doing good. he was just camera shy. my clown has little black spots on him from messing with the frog spawn. lol... the bioload is good. nitrates are between 0-5 ppm. my sand stays nice and white. =)

ahh, a fine system d,

the clown does pick on one of my firefirsh though. everything is doing so well.

awesome, glad to hear about the success with the fishies

- to stir up your lighting issues again, have you seen picoD LED spotlight fixtures overhanging the tank?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...24629&st=40

that lightings got some soul!

hmm, maybe someday, i'm still sitting with the MR16s, 4 blue LEDs and a 50/50 10 watt

did you rig up your plexiglass fixture with mirror holders under your lights?

awesome, glad to hear about the success with the fishies

- to stir up your lighting issues again, have you seen picoD LED spotlight fixtures overhanging the tank?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...24629&st=40

that lightings got some soul!

hmm, maybe someday, i'm still sitting with the MR16s, 4 blue LEDs and a 50/50 10 watt

did you rig up your plexiglass fixture with mirror holders under your lights?

yea i saw the lamp set up. its very neat but not the direction i wanted to go.

UPDATE:

I added about 300 more heads of assorted neon colored zoanthids and 8 ricordea mushrooms =)

total over kill, yes.

I am officially out of space... but I am sure i will find a way to add more in the future.

the wife took the camera to her business trip so pics will not be up till this weekend.

Holy crap man! that is some serious reefage! are some of those zoas attached to the sandbed? Oh, btw, I've been meaning to ask you about how you constructed your splash guard, the salt in my tank just destroyed my sockets the other day..

UPDATED VIDEO:

Enjoy!

Holy crap man! that is some serious reefage! are some of those zoas attached to the sandbed? Oh, btw, I've been meaning to ask you about how you constructed your splash guard, the salt in my tank just destroyed my sockets the other day..

Umm i just cut a piece of leftover acrylic and used two "L" shaped plastic tabs. Used electrical tape and put it together. =)

i put the zoas there. but they are starting to grow in the sand bed

also!

100th post on my thread... woo hoo!

Archived