Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bamato's 70g Scorpion Tank

Bamato

Fuzzy lions/scoprions/waspfish/leaf fish.... a smart combination of the above. I was going to do an angler as well. But that would limit my stocking options greatly...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fuzzy lions/scoprions/waspfish/leaf fish.... a smart combination of the above. I was going to do an angler as well. But that would limit my stocking options greatly...

yah because it would probably out grow most of those fish and might try to eat them.

masterbuilder

I run a TX5. After dozens of different combos I ended up with:

3 Blue+

1 KZ Fiji Purple

1 GE6500

My fav color setup ever. Sounds like it would be blue...but its quite white with a little blue and a little purple. At least to my eye. Try the GE...you wont be sorry

Mark

p.s. My least fave lamp is the ATI Blue Special. To my eye everything is washed out and gives the tank a hazy look.

It's the Blue Plus thats making think the tank looks all washed out... If I turn those three off, it looks fantastic.

I'm thinking I want to try this fiji purple lamp everyone is raving about. I might take out one blue plus and put it in there...

I might even think about giving your bulb combo a shot actually now that I think about it....

yah because it would probably out grow most of those fish and might try to eat them.

I debated on doing all anglers, but it would be a very boring tank to watch... lol

Nemo Niblets
I debated on doing all anglers, but it would be a very boring tank to watch... lol

And one day you might wake up with half your angler population very fat :D

Now I see what you mean by no room in stand.

I would put a divider in the large chamber for the RO water.

Then again, you wanted to plumb it. You are still going to have to place the RO unit somewhere that has access to water. You could put the reservoir there(like under the sink).

Airline tubing is going to be easier to plumb and easier to hide anyway.

I already have the unit, it's under my sink. I'll be running 1/4" line along the baseboard to the dining area where the tank is. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the BRS unit, triple redundancy and all. :) And for those times I wont be home for a day or two, (which is rare) the RO unit will be shut off anyway.

The rock I bought from the LFS was mostly 100% cured, transprted it in a dry plastic bag for about 30 minutes, so there was some (if any) die off. Only one of the pieces was stinky you could say.

That was over a week ago, and I just barely started getting any ammonia (Saturday afternoon 01/02/10).

And already yesterday, a Diatom bloom....

Quite quick...... I wasn't planning on grabbing a CUC until I have the other 30lbs of dry rock ordered.

Think it will be fine to wait another two weeks to add a CUC?

Part of my cleaning crew is in :) Ceriths and Astrea's for now. I didn't get NEARLY enough, as I was feeling a bit gun shy on getting too many... lol

Got my shipment from BRS today of their eco rocks. Very nice :) Very well packed, no breakage at all.

The rockscape is not what I originally set out to accomplish. But the varying rock types made it difficult to achieve a pedestal type rock without the need for rods and cement.

I'm very happy with the left side :) The right side.... not so much. I tried to focus more on making it easier for me to attach corals in the future. And left shelves for clams I'll eventually have in there.

I also focused lots on what I hope will make the dwarf lions happy when I get them. I left LOTS of hiding spots and places for them to perch.

So while the overall design is only 75% pleasing to my eye, I have a feeling after it's loaded with corals and I have happy lions it will pay off. Let me know what you guys think.

It's really hard to get the depth in the photos, and the overly blue lights wash everything out it seems....

Tankpics2003.jpg

Tankpics2004.jpg

clam and coral shelving

Tankpics2005.jpg

Tankpics2006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well the first addition to the tank has arrived and acclimated well :happy:

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, I'll have more when he's feeling more social :P

Fu.jpg

And for something that might really upset other biocellatus keepers... he's eating frozen mysis ;)

Still no pictures of him yet... He's a very reclusive little bugger. But he took half of a silverside right off the feeding stick tonight!! So excited!

I'm thinking when I feed him again in a day or two I'll lure him out into the open and snap some photos of the feeding frenzy ;)

Had to share, very excited!

Archived