Pod Your Reef

Gabe's Custom 10G Shallow Contest Cube

gabe3eb

very nice!! this tank is going to come along great i know it!! its a really cool shape how its big and shallow.. the display looks actually really big for a 10 gal because of its demensions.. i really like it... good luck with everything man

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kept SPS under 48w of T5 light for a little while in my 20g. If you get good bulbs and reflectors you can pull it off. Just make sure you stock lower light SPS. Personally, I would still go with the 150w mh. I just figured I would let you know that it IS possible to keep SPS under just 2 T5's.

Nice, I'm sure it could be done, but I want to keep the colors on my SPS really popping if I'm going to invest in some nicer pieces. I'm leaning towards the 150W MH a lot more now.

very nice!! this tank is going to come along great i know it!! its a really cool shape how its big and shallow.. the display looks actually really big for a 10 gal because of its demensions.. i really like it... good luck with everything man

Thanks, the contest was a nice excuse to get exactly the dimensions I have been wanting.

Wow, love the tank! very jelous and best of luck!!

Ty, you too

ah, a shallow tank. :happy: i love shallow tanks.

if you're going to go with sps, definitely 150w. I tried the 70 dealio, no bueno. It looked rather awful and not enough power (well, compared to 150w radiums anyways).

:) will be following.

Wow gabe your tank is a big hit.

I heard it was well made :P

That is quite possibly the sickest 10 gallon I have ever seen. NICE BUILD!

fingerscrossed Hopefully I don't disapoint once I start stocking.

Wow gabe your tank is a big hit.

Awesome job on the tank!!

That said, down the road Patrick, I might look for your help with a aio shallow frag setup. I've got some ideas, but only a 1/4 of the acryllic know how to make it work!

I heard it was well made :P

fingerscrossed Hopefully I don't disapoint once I start stocking.

Awesome idea for the tank!!

From a fellow Colorado reefer, I salute you both! :)

Gabe - I might have missed it, but how do you plan on going about top off? Manually? With such a clean setup, I'm sure you'd be somewhat annoyed with an ATO setup popping up and over the top..

Gabe - I might have missed it, but how do you plan on going about top off? Manually? With such a clean setup, I'm sure you'd be somewhat annoyed with an ATO setup popping up and over the top..

I do enough maintenance on my tanks daily that I don't mind not having an ATO. The cleaner the look, the better too. That being said, I will be out of town over Christmas for about a week. I'm going to have to put an ATO on it for that timeframe at a minimum. The biggest problem with the ATO is the budget. I hate to eat up a chunk of my budget for something that I wouldn't mind doing every day anyways. I'm going to be so tight on the budget as is. As I mentioned on another thread, the hardest part of this contest is not dropping out and dumping another $500-$1K into the tank.

Where are you at in Colorado, btw?

Forgot to mention that last night when my wife was asking questions about the tank she was liking me talking about selling everything (4x24w T5 Sundial, Skimmer, corals, etc etc) in my other tank and then she realized that her two favorite fish would also be on the chopping block. She was not a happy camper. Any chance I could get by with keeping either a Yellow Clown Goby or Talbots Damsel in the tank with the Mandarin? 3 Fish would be pushing it too much I think :(.

Damsels can get ornery and territorial and I wouldn't trust one with a mandarin, expecially in a 10g. I've had a mandarin starve to death in a mature 50g with 2 feedings a day...

Damsels can get ornery and territorial and I wouldn't trust one with a mandarin, expecially in a 10g. I've had a mandarin starve to death in a mature 50g with 2 feedings a day...

Thanks for the advice. Its a Talbot's Damsel and I got him because he was supposed to be one of the most mild-tempered. That being said, off he goes :D. The Mandarin is really going to be the focus here, so I don't want to do anything to conflict with him.

What a gorgeous tank!!!

Totally sweet!!

tyty

It's really looking great, keep posting pics.

Right now its going to be a little slow on the updates while I wait for my powerheads to come in from Drs. Foster and Smith before I add any liverock. I promise to post pics as soon as anything meaningful happens with the tank :D

The Mandarin is really going to be the focus here, so I don't want to do anything to conflict with him.

I've got a dragonet in my six gallon contest tank, and I used the deep frozen cyclopeeze to wean him off of live pods. He still hunts them all day long, but it's not a big enough tank to sustain their diet. So if you don't have a copious amount of pods in your tank before you add him like I did, I'd suggest feeding live pods and cyclopeeze at the same time to train him to eat frozen.

I've got a dragonet in my six gallon contest tank, and I used the deep frozen cyclopeeze to wean him off of live pods. He still hunts them all day long, but it's not a big enough tank to sustain their diet. So if you don't have a copious amount of pods in your tank before you add him like I did, I'd suggest feeding live pods and cyclopeeze at the same time to train him to eat frozen.

Thanks for the words of advice. I have access to both luckily.

Very nice dimensions to that tank.

Good luck!

TY, good luck to you too.

Looks very promising

TY, I hope that I can pull off my vision and stay within budget :D

OMFG I'm currently sitting more than $100 over budget, wtf... I have around $173 for livestock and here is my list:

• SPS
    BZ1 - $30
    BZ2 - $20
    ORA -$10
    Bird- $10 Fragging it for $5 new price.
    Frag-$5
    Frag-$5
    Pavona - $20 $10
    Total SPS- $80 $35
  • LPS
    Torch - $5
    Trumpets - $3
    Duncan - $10
    Favia - $25
    Chalice - $10
    Fungia - $30
    Total LPS - $83
  • Softies/Polyps
    Green Toadstool - $5
    Bam bam - $5
    AOG - $5
    Tubbs - $5
    Whammins Watermelons - $15
    Darth Maul -$20
    Ric Yuma - $10
    1 Head of $1 orange Zoa - $1
    Total - $65 $31 $0
  • CuC
    Snails - Free
    Cheato -$2
    Mangroves -$3
    Rock - $20
    Fromia Star - $6
    Total - $31
  • Fish
    YCG - $8
    Mandarin - $16
    Total - $24
  • Overall Total - $306, $217 $173 ($183 Allowed)

:tears::rant::blush::blink::unsure::angry:

^^^^^^^^^^^^ How I'm feeling. The horrible thing is that so many of the zoa mini-colonies I got for like $20 IRL, would cost half my budget (i.e., 20 polyp AOG frag, 7 polyp Tubb's Frag, 12 polyp Bam-Bam /frag, 7 polyps of Darth Mauls - well those did cost me a lot, lol)

And perhaps the absolute worst thing of all.... I'm going over to THIS GUY's house in a few hours to do some trades...

Archived