Pod Your Reef

48" LED fixture - Lots of photos

Dave_uk

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost finished :D

Ive now got the fixture pretty much done except for a splashguard and top vented cover. All the wiring is now complete and I have started testing. Heres some photo's.

wired.jpg

fans_on.jpg

wired_closeup.jpg

arduino_on.jpg

underside.jpg

lights_on.jpg

testing.jpg

Im currently monitoring the temperature with the temp sensor and an IR thermometer. Once Ive finished testing I just need to make the splashguard and cover and work out how Im going to hang it. Then I can start messing about with the arduino to get a good dawn-dusk cycle.

This may sound like a stupid question but.... Does anyone know the correct distance to use an IR thermometer to measure the die temp? Im not sure if Im doing it correctly as there is a big difference in temperature depending on how far away I hold the thermometer from the LED.

Woah! That looks great! Better than any Solaris, Galileo or something like that. I wish knew something about Arduino stuff to make one myself

Woah! That looks great! Better than any Solaris, Galileo or something like that. I wish knew something about Arduino stuff to make one myself

Thanks Sammy. Im pretty happy with the way its turned out so far, especially as its just mdf with vinyl wrap. I would have liked to build if from acrylic but Im not an acrylic wizard like you so thought mdf would be a safer bet :P . Im lucky someone did the arduino part for me as I wouldnt have known how to do it myself.

Nice job Dave!

I'm curious if you have any plans to get some PAR readings and a FTS.

I think you said you tank is 24" deep, I'm interested in your readings at the bottom with those 60 degree optics.

Well done, Nick

Nice job Dave!

I'm curious if you have any plans to get some PAR readings and a FTS.

I think you said you tank is 24" deep, I'm interested in your readings at the bottom with those 60 degree optics.

Well done, Nick

I dont have a meter so wont be able to get any PAR readings unless I can borrow one from someone unfortunately. I will post before and after shots once its above the tank.

All I can say is wow after lurking in forums on many boards I think your controller build is number one I can't wait to see that fixture over your tank

do you still indited to make the details of that protoboard availabil such as parts list and how it is wired

as of now that is my stumbling block and probably for many others and do you think your friend could add a storm feature to that code

All I can say is wow after lurking in forums on many boards I think your controller build is number one I can't wait to see that fixture over your tank

do you still indited to make the details of that protoboard availabil such as parts list and how it is wired

as of now that is my stumbling block and probably for many others and do you think your friend could add a storm feature to that code

Thanks. I cant take credit for the controller though. I dont see why it wouldnt be possible to add a storm feature but its not something that we will be addidng to this build. Heres a diagram of the arduino pinouts and a rough cicuit diagram as there isnt a digital version yet,

pinouts-1.jpg

circuit_diagram-1.jpg

After all the delays I have finally finished! :D

The LED fixture is now above the tank and I am really happy with it, especially the coverage and amazing coral colour. I had a bit of a shock just now because I forgot to remove the timer that I used for controlling the T5s so it all went off and I thought I had blown something :P

Its really difficult to get an accurate photo because of the royal blue issue but here is a quick quick FTS with the LEDs. Unfortunately the T5s were off for an hour before I fitted the LED fixture so some of the corals are retracted. The LEDs are currenty running at 50%

finished_FTS1.jpg

I will try to take some better photos tommorow.

Awsome job Dave. The result seem well worth that hassle. Make sure to add it to the list.

Thanks. Yeah, it was a long wait but definately worth it now. I will get some good before and after pics and add to the LED thread tomorow.

Im currently watching the tank with the moonlights on which is the royal blues in their lowest setting. I wasnt sure if all 24 LEDs would be too much for moonlights but its just about right and looks really good.

Looks amazing Dave! and thats only 50% and that thing is bright! good work. Also love the round corners on the tank and stand

Yeah, I love the look of the osaka tank. The only drawback is the lack of sump.

I am surprised at how bright it is. Its difficult to tell as it looks so different but with the LEDs running at around 60-70% it looks about as bright as the 4 T5s so I have started at 50% so I dont bleach the corals and I will watch closely over the next week or two and tweak as necessary. I wish I had a way to measure the PAR.

Very nice build.

Do you have any problems with condensation on the wiring? Didn't see where splash guard was fitted.

I also live in the UK, I got my lenses from cutter & anyone else in UK should note that when your package arrives in the UK, VAT is added and the Royal Mail have a standard £8 fee for adding the VAT. My lenses and a couple of spare LED's were worth £40, after Cutters delivery charge, the VAT (which is calculated from Cutters invoice total) & the £8 fee, I ended up paying £67 in total :(

Very nice build.

Do you have any problems with condensation on the wiring? Didn't see where splash guard was fitted.

I also live in the UK, I got my lenses from cutter & anyone else in UK should note that when your package arrives in the UK, VAT is added and the Royal Mail have a standard £8 fee for adding the VAT. My lenses and a couple of spare LED's were worth £40, after Cutters delivery charge, the VAT (which is calculated from Cutters invoice total) & the £8 fee, I ended up paying £67 in total :(

There is a splash guard on each side which is 3mm clear acrylic. Sorry, I forgot to upload a photo of this.

I didnt get stung the first time cutter sent my LEDs but I didn with the replacements. I think it depends which courrier Cutter use as the first ones were delivered by UPS and the second Royal Mail. I think the £8 royal mail charge is a complete rip off.

Im still trying to get some good pics of the corals but its so hard to take decent photos with the Royal Blues on.. everything just looks washed out. The tank looks amazing and its frustrating not being able to share photos so if anyone has any tips on getting good photos....

Heres a photo of the moonlight setting.

moonlights.jpg

Looks great.

I struggled with pics too - why I didnt post any for my build.

Any chance of a parts list for the Arduino & where to buy in uk. Thought I'd finished my build but I'm too jealous now :lol:

just like to say dave uk ive not seen your tank before

would like to say it looks great, those led lights are brill. omgomgomg

nice to see someone from uk on here too!!

Archived