Pod Your Reef

jokercykoe's 12" tank

jokercykoe

FTS update today. Not much has changed from the last fts. I can see new buds forming on some of the zoa frags. Unfortunately not on the nicer ones -_-. Yuma has 2 distinct mouths, no split yet, but its a pretty decent size. Adjusted some of the prices after seeing some of the other contestants with similar morph zoas charging 1pp (I PM'ed Maria and showed her pix). Seems I was overcharging some of the zoas (5pp instead of 1pp). That brought the budget spent back down, plus taking out the joker palys brought it way down.

FTS 11/2/2009

4070883498_127cfb319a_o.jpg

I also got my ebay/made in china close up filters (with +1/+2 and +4 dioptors) in so took a few shots with those. Doesn't take the place of a real macro lens, but better than nothing.

4070154729_026f62e41b.jpg

4070154435_0a6c11ace0.jpg

4070154963_3d6be81bef.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can say this though. After buying from local reefers, I don't think I can look at LFS prices the same again. Locals have some great deals and are some great people!

That what I try and tell peeps...buy from local reefers, u get soem great deals...or join your local reef club.

I <3 the top down shot!!

justkidding86

I am digging the rockscrape. It looks good and I think your tank has some serious potential. The only think stopping me from voting yours number one right now is that the space on the right needs something to fill it up. Every time I look at your tank I can't help but see the empty space on the right side. Its like my eyes are drawn to the void. :lol: If you don't mind me asking what do you got planned for that side. Tabling Acro? ;)

I am digging the rockscrape. It looks good and I think your tank has some serious potential. The only think stopping me from voting yours number one right now is that the space on the right needs something to fill it up. Every time I look at your tank I can't help but see the empty space on the right side. Its like my eyes are drawn to the void. :lol: If you don't mind me asking what do you got planned for that side. Tabling Acro? ;)

I have no idea, but I'm open to suggestions.

I have no idea, but I'm open to suggestions.

Well, you've still got some room left in your budget. Personally, I'd put some monti caps on that side of the rock and let them grow towards the open side.

On the bottom you could do some GSP or dare I say it XENIA to fill up the bed.

BTW, if you're interested I've got a piece of rock with 3 monti caps mounted on it (purple, orange, firefly) you can have...

justkidding86

Blue micro xenia or maybe just glue some fast growing sps to the side of the rock and have to grow out. Have like a birdsnest canopy that would look sick.

Thanks for the offer Jz, if I'm ever in your area I'll let you know.

On the macro algae, I think I'm going to avoid that at this point. I have some bad experience with macros taking over tanks and choking out coral growth.

• 2 weeks later...

FTS update for this week. Tank has been on the back burner. Nothing new added. Took out the green zoas to a quarantine tank because 2 aiptasia cropped up on it. Gonna make sure they're dead and gone before returning to this tank.

4111142010_092b9761ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Looking great man. I really like your trumpet corner.

Thanks.

Tank has been sort of neglected because I started my new job :mellow: Good thing is money should start coming in soon so I can start stocking the tank :D As of right now, nothing new. I'm mainly looking for a new bulb to replace this stock bulb, see if it affects growth at all. Anybody know where I can find the astralux 70w?

FTS today

4148579127_3643477d9e.jpg

Please forgive me for the dirty front pane.

I'm not having any luck with coralline algae. Sucks I wish I could speed up the process somehow. I wonder if high levels of light can affect its growth?

I'm not having any luck with coralline algae. Sucks I wish I could speed up the process somehow. I wonder if high levels of light can affect its growth?

Lookin good! I'm not sure about the light but I'm just now starting to notice growth on the back wall and return nozzle. I've got 70w over mine as well.

What else are you planning on adding???

Lookin good! I'm not sure about the light but I'm just now starting to notice growth on the back wall and return nozzle. I've got 70w over mine as well.

What else are you planning on adding???

Not sure. I'm thinking some kind of hardy branching sps near the to of the rock. More zoas. Maybe some acans? I have no idea.

Have the day off today from work so planning on visiting the LFS, maybe some hobbyists if I can get into contact with them and doing a waterchange.

I think I'm going to unmount some of these zoas on frag plugs and glue them to the rockwork.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a while. FTS due today. Picked up some browned out acro, a single head of a red acan. I also unmounted some of the zoa frags and glued them to the main rock. Unfortunately some of the zoas melted away and I couldn't find the cause. I'm hoping they'll make a comeback. My candy canes are kind of unhappy right now also. Thats what I get for neglecting the tank a bit (due to new job).

Shot with my experimental Chinon 50mm f/1.7 (manual e42 mount lens on my t1i). The coating on this lens handles the light differently so the picture came out a little darker than usual.

4186859470_d0ac74d8ec_o.jpg

Just picked up a 70w Astralux 14k bulb from a user on here. Bulb is MUCH bluer than the stock fishneedit bulb. I love the color and how much flourescence it brings out of the corals. Probably the best purchase I have made to date for this tank.

16165_205252754861_692929861_3049222_6077918_n.jpg

4191287260_f2ef18a195.jpg

• 3 months later...

How are you liking the fishneedit fixture thus far? Any problems? I am thinking about purchasing one and would like to know your experience with. How are your corals responding to the new bulb? In your opinion, is that a must with this fixture? Thx!

• 2 weeks later...
How are you liking the fishneedit fixture thus far? Any problems? I am thinking about purchasing one and would like to know your experience with. How are your corals responding to the new bulb? In your opinion, is that a must with this fixture? Thx!

Sorry for the delayed response:

So for no problems at all with the fixture. Works great. I love the color the astralux puts out. Stock bulb (i got 14k) was okay. You shouldn't have any problems with it. I would def go with their 20k though as their 14k was not blue enough for my tastes. My only gripes with this fixture is no led/moon lighting.

Heres a quick growth picture 4/8/2010

4504327237_125a987a8f_o.jpg

Also got some new zoanthids from NR member Carlton'sTank. Great seller.

4504327079_172796a5cd_o.jpg

• 1 month later...
jokercykoe

Some pictures from today 5/30/2010.

Been neglecting the tank recently, work has been pretty busy. Lost some zoas, while others took off. Also starting to develop a little aptaisia problem. I count about 6 (some tiny 1 decent sized one).

4654933910_94b7f2e7e4_b.jpg

4654933922_0af36cd183_b.jpg

4654933920_b149b1e121_b.jpg

You can see the growth in the picture. The yuma is huge, with 2 mouths and it also spawned a baby one to its left. Some of the zoanthids melted away, others contain the same amount of polyps, and others grew and grew. I need to do a waterchange soon!

Archived