Top Shelf Aquatics

Dahlia's NEW 20L PICS page 70

dahliaheartsyou

dahliaheartsyou

Ok so, I got my live rock today from Preuss.

I got about 23 lbs for 5.98 a pound, and I picked all the good stuff.

It took a while because I was digging around and all a sudden a crab came out ON MY HAND!

So then I poked around holding the rock like a little girl and diving in real fast to pull it out...what a sissy.

So far, I have found two quite colorful zoos, a small brittle star, a TON of dusters, bivalves, and some of those little white stars(forget what they are called)

Anyways, I consider myself a good photographer, but taking pics of a tank is a whole different ballgame, sorry they suck.

Question: will I have to soft cycle or anything to keep the zoos/dusters/stars alive?

FTS! without flash

FTS.jpg

with flash

FTSwithflash.jpg

algae- including some bubble... <_<

algea.jpg

Some MINI CARPETS hitchhikers

IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

And finally, a duster, which I have tons of

duster.jpg

And some flowers from my garden :happy:

beesbalmcopy.jpg

flowerbrightcopy.jpg

hibiscusmacrocopy.jpg

darksuncopy.jpg

lightsuncopy.jpg

lightsun2copy.jpg

-dahlia

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I scrolled down through the pics without reading the captions and when I got to the flowers I was like, "WTF??!!?!?!!?" :huh:

dahliaheartsyou
I scrolled down through the pics without reading the captions and when I got to the flowers I was like, "WTF??!!?!?!!?" :huh:

Haha, yeah who likes reading?! :P

Although it helps in some cases...like directions. Or you end up confused.

homer.jpg

you should add your pics to dshnarw's thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=156121&hl=

Wow, thanks, I didn't know that existed! And I did post them....

I have a few questions though.

1) Do I have to soft cycle to keep the stars/zoo alive?

2) I noticed today one of the zoo looking things is gone, and it looked really healthy yesterday, and my tank hasn't cycled...did it die or something? The other one is still there...could it be a rock anemone er something?

dahliaheartsyou
those r not zoos that r on ur rock they r mini carpets.

Uh oh...I think you are right... don't those get huge and scary?

Will they die in the cycle?

Anyone have any ideas about these?

Second,

I bought cured rock, and when can I expect to see the start of a cycle...or should i throw a raw shrimp in....

dahliaheartsyou
I love the aquascape! Don't change it!

Thanks...BUT...i had a little problem...not to get all john madden on you, but it went a little like this...

madden.jpg

128347587844687500fail.jpg

So now it looks like this...

FTS

updatedfts.jpg

Left side

leftside.jpg

Right side

rightside-1.jpg

Top down with flash

topdown-1.jpg

dahliaheartsyou
its gay

rock has a sexuality? :huh:

that made me feel bad til i read this...

I just want to know if this is a good cycling method. Mix RO water to 1.204 and add to the tank. Add 25 pounds of live fiji rock (after curing) and add Live sand. After running the tank like that for 3 weeks with a couple of hermit crabs, and all the levels have stableized I will add the soft corals and anemones. Then the reef friendly fish. IS this right?

Still looks sweet!

Thanks, I tried...really hard..I plan to put different Euphyllia in the top left to fill it in and give it some height

lakshwadeep
Uh oh...I think you are right... don't those get huge and scary?

Will they die in the cycle?

Anyone have any ideas about these?

Second,

I bought cured rock, and when can I expect to see the start of a cycle...or should i throw a raw shrimp in....

Mini carpet anemones are great because they stay small, and they are popular choice for nanos.

Don't throw anything in; die-off from the rock should be enough. Don't add any shrimp if you're doing a soft cycle. I consider adding shrimp as a way to only lengthen the cycle instead of helping reduce it. Any added fish will create a quasi-cycle when it begins feeding, so there's no reason to "feed" nutrients without any fish. A short (or "no") cycle is not harmful and will help avoid algae blooms. Check MrAnderson's tank thread for more on soft cycling.

See myth 15 below. It states that cycles don't end at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, so it helps to have a jumpstart on the stability of the tank with cured rock. Use your nitrates (and phosphates) as a better indication of great water quality.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

dahliaheartsyou
Mini carpet anemones are great because they stay small, and they are popular choice for nanos.

Don't throw anything in; die-off from the rock should be enough. Don't add any shrimp if you're doing a soft cycle. I consider adding shrimp as a way to only lengthen the cycle instead of helping reduce it. Any added fish will create a quasi-cycle when it begins feeding, so there's no reason to "feed" nutrients without any fish. A short (or "no") cycle is not harmful and will help avoid algae blooms. Check MrAnderson's tank thread for more on soft cycling.

See myth 15 below. It states that cycles don't end at 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, so it helps to have a jumpstart on the stability of the tank with cured rock. Use your nitrates (and phosphates) as a better indication of great water quality.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

Thank you so much for that, I bookmarked it. It was EXACTLY what I needed explained.

"All too often, the fish dies, because while it may not have ammonia to contend with, it has water filled with chemicals we can't and don't test for."

That scares me that everything can test fine, but something you have no clue of being out of whack will cause deaths!!!

So, do you think it is good if I do this?:

-Wait 2-3 months to see possible blooms and let algae take over for food source for clean up crew, then add snails/hermits/CUC

-Wait another 2-3 months: add fuge and let corallines grow/pods and worms reproduce, then slowly add softies/zoos/easy lps

This seems better to make the tank much more stable, and I really don't care about fish, and don't plan on getting them till next year...I like all the little cleaner guys and weird organisms....

lakshwadeep

If you are willing to wait, then I would say yes, the plan is great. There's no harm in waiting since patience is the greatest asset in reefkeeping. Also, that linked article has two more parts full of info at the bottom of the page.

dahliaheartsyou
If you are willing to wait, then I would say yes, the plan is great. There's no harm in waiting since patience is the greatest asset in reefkeeping. Also, that linked article has two more parts full of info at the bottom of the page.

Oh yes, I am willing, that way I can save money for nicer stuff too!

Also, what do you suggest for a current lighting schedule...?

lakshwadeep
Oh yes, I am willing, that way I can save money for nicer stuff too!

Also, what do you suggest for a current lighting schedule...?

I don't know if your PC bulbs are both 50/50 or one is 10,000K and the other is an actinic. Turn on one light (actinic or one of the 50/50s) for maybe 12 hours and another (10,000K or other 50/50) for 10 hours with the 2nd light turning on one hour after the first.

Dammit, so you're the one who took all the good pieces out of the $5.99 bin at Preuss's! :P I had to dig lots to find two nice chunks to add to my 9 gallon!

dahliaheartsyou
Dammit, so you're the one who took all the good pieces out of the $5.99 bin at Preuss's! :P I had to dig lots to find two nice chunks to add to my 9 gallon!

Haha, were you there Saturday? I was there around 12-2...maybe I saw you!

Yes, that was me... I totally started diggin like mad until the whole crab on my hand, and then I got scared!

Especially this nice piece of tonga branch-which I think is really ugly- but it had 5 different shades of purple, I had to throw it in...

I love Preuss, everyone is so nice and they have so much cool stuff...except the birds are scary :unsure:

dahliaheartsyou
Nice rock work!

Thanks!

I think it is finally stable now...I did the ole tap test...and flicked and poked it....and nothing moved so I hope I'm good!

-dahlia

dahliaheartsyou
Pwned

Yeah, I was like, who calls anything "gay" after the 4th grade? And towards my rock scape...

I was like

cat.jpg

then i was like

ded.jpg

haha, ok lol cats humor achieved...

-dahlia

Archived