Pod Your Reef

Texan's 10G: UPDATE 9/16

irishtexan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^I was thinking about adding one, but I have been having a really hard time finding small frag.

I am also debating about whether or not to get rid of my cleaner shrimp, -_- He is just getting so big and when he moves around the tank he closes every single coral. Maybe I will just trade him in for a smaller one, but its kind of sad cause Ive had him for over a year. -_-

Anyways! :happy: I have decided to name the fish Rob and Big. lol. The larger clownfish is significantly larger and they are so cute together!

I am a little worried about the smaller one though cause I havent seen him eat really. He doesnt look skinny at all so IDK. Maybe he is still trying to figure out the whole pellet thing.

I have been thinking about moving the rocks around on the larger island. What do yall think?

Comments welcomed!!

-texx

Thanks nanofish! B)

I love the new look and it looked too full before. Im thinking about making the larger island a little smaller but I dont know for sure.

Thanks nanofish! B)

I love the new look and it looked too full before. Im thinking about making the larger island a little smaller but I dont know for sure. :)

No problem! IMO more open area will of course help w/circulation. I would go for a branching coral for an idea. Look like you have the space

Nanofish-

B) Yeah I have been thinking about adding a large purple gorgonian by the side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys I need to get some stuff to fill it in more, it looks a little spread out. Any ideas??

Nanofish-

B) Yeah I have been thinking about adding a large purple gorgonian by the side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys I need to get some stuff to fill it in more, it looks a little spread out. Any ideas??

I had a brown tongue coral and they enjoy moderate currents. A must have!

Yeah I'll have to consider that. My birdnest frag just started to die for some reason so now I need something to put on the top of the top of the island that can be in moderate flow and high light. Maybe a large LPS of some kind??

Mischeif Nite
Colorful monti cap? :)

vvvvvv I agree!!! vvvvvv

Yeah I'll have to consider that. My birdnest frag just started to die for some reason so now I need something to put on the top of the top of the island that can be in moderate flow and high light. Maybe a large LPS of some kind??

I will post the pic tomorrow. ;)

So I have been thinking about something I could add to the top of the large island, and I was thinking about getting a Leather of some kind. Like maybe a Yellow fiji.

To be honest, I don't think the light is sufficient enough to keep SPS unless they are right under the light at the very top. I haven't noticed a lot of growth with my frags either.

To be honest, I don't think the light is sufficient enough to keep SPS unless they are right under the light at the very top. I haven't noticed a lot of growth with my frags either.

Aww man, please don't tell me that :( I upgraded my lights to a 70w viper on my 10g thinking that it would be sufficient for sps and a clam :( :( But your clams seem to be happy under your sunpod and they aren't gaping though :) (Your tank was one of the tanks inspired me to upgrade my lights :))

Thanks for the leather comments guys. Makes me miss it so much. I think more sps or a yellow fiji would do great up on the island. I'm sure the yellow leather would love it up there with the light and your nano koralia giving it good flow. :)

Man, what a pretty tank. You do a GREAT job of keeping it clean, that's for sure. The lighting is awesome, and the stuff all looks healthy. I'd hate to see you get rid of the cleaner shrimp but if he's irritating the corals, it may be the thing you need to do. Would some peppermint shrimp work better?

Did I read a few posts back that you added some frogspawn? IIRC, frogspawn puts out some serious sweeper tentacles. Wouldn't that cause a real problem at night in a 10?

BTW I am likely to be setting up a 10 soon myself and your tank has given me some inspiration.

Redfish-

Thanks!! :D Im so glad I inspired someone! Thanks for all the great compliments too!

Onto your questions, yes I do have a small frogspawn but its only one head right now but I think it is in the process of splitting into two heads though. They dont tend to send out sweepers often and I have never had a problem with it. I would say go ahead and get one! :happy:

Im still contemplating about what to do about the cleaner shrimp. It has really been staying under the whisper filter a lot so it hasnt been bothering anything lately. But we will see.

If I got rid of the shrimp, I would really love to add a Blue/green chromis but that might be pushing it bioload wise.

Sorry to reply so late! I will be sure to post a pic of the tank this weekend.

-texx

Looking forward to the pics, Tex!

Hey, btw, I am likely putting a 70W MH over the one I'm hoping to get set up in the coming months. What brand and K are you running on yours?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

Right now I am running it with the bulb that comes with the SunPod which is a Phoenix 14K. I really like the color, but when its time to switch out the bulb I am thinking about trying a 20K. If you are wanting to do mostly SPS I would go with the 150W SunPod. If you just want to do some of the same things that I have, then the 70W will be perfect.

-texx

Just so you know the stock Sunpod doesn't come with a Phoenix bulb.....just a plain ol' current 14k. The Phoenix is on my "to-get" list for the future :D

Are you kidding me?! :o I thought that when I order mine from Dr. Foster and Smith that on their website it said that the SunPod comes with a Phoenix. What a rip off. <_<

But hey I guess I can change out my light bulb now :)

Are you kidding me?! :o I thought that when I order mine from Dr. Foster and Smith that on their website it said that the SunPod comes with a Phoenix. What a rip off. <_<

But hey I guess I can change out my light bulb now :)

Hey maybe Dr. Foster and Smitch does include the bulb, a possiblity, but all I know is right out of the box my Sunpod came with the current bulb

Phoenix=$60

Archived