ReefCleaners.org

fewskillz goes nano

fewskillz

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of simple, softy dominated, but still awesome reefs. Look who's thread was bumped:

dscn8765irf680ir0.jpg

Diane's tank was amazing.

My inspiration, but with less purple shrooms: fulltankshot.jpg

do you have a link to that thread?

BTW nice tank!

Exactly. If I were to do a pico all over again that would be the route I would go. I forgot how nice a tank full of mushrooms can look until I saw this tank:

IMG_0865.jpg

Very Nice! Is that ank still up? I want some frags

Yep. That was Tasha's TOTM a couple years ago.

http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=12

Bought a two-mouthed Blue ricordea at the LFS today. It is officially the first coral in the NC12. More to come tomorrow.

Yay rics! Can't wait to see some pictures! I got my PC-R bulbs today. I got two of the actinic white bulbs. It is quite pink but it's growing on me. I just hope the coral growth at least stays the same, and at best improves. I can definitely see that it's brighter.

All white? Interesting choice. Mine is a single 50/50, I wish I had twice the light but the cost to upgrade isn't worth it. If I feel like I need more light I'll just buy a newer tank.

I am completely out of super glue gel and aquamend (or water weld, or whatever the heck its called now), so I'll restock tomorrow at lunch and glue down corals tomorrow night.

All white? Interesting choice. Mine is a single 50/50, I wish I had twice the light but the cost to upgrade isn't worth it. If I feel like I need more light I'll just buy a newer tank.

I am completely out of super glue gel and aquamend (or water weld, or whatever the heck its called now), so I'll restock tomorrow at lunch and glue down corals tomorrow night.

It was the only color I could find...anywhere! Either I'm getting used to it, or the pink is burning off. At any rate, the color is not nearly as pink looking as it was. I'm really liking it a lot! The tank has a natural high noon look to it. I'm not getting the pop with the blues like I was before...especially noticeable on my tubbs blue zoas. But, otherwise I have no complaints. I'm still going to keep an eye out for a super actinic or something like that, so I can see what that looks like combined with the actinic white.

• 3 months later...

I don't want a tank that big, I have a 6' 180 gallon tank, I want my nano to be small. I have had a 40 breeder, I loved it, one of my favorite tanks ever, but it just doesn't fit my wants right now. I've had a 30 breeder too, but I never set it up, it was too shallow for the width. The proportions of a 40 breeder are perfect.

Skillz, did you fill this up w/ shrooms and rics yet? I want some.

No, the single 24w wasn't enough light, the test-ricordea was bleaching. Then the PC-R burned out, not sure if it was the lamp or the fixture's fault. So the clowns have been chilling in the dark for a few weeks now. I think I'm going back to a 10 - 20 gallon. We're finally done moving, so it's time to work on the aquariums again.

Bummer. I think a standard 10g or a 20L would be a nice addition to your line-up.
I have both empty! Also 15 long, 20 high, and a 29 could be made available pretty easily. I've got a 30 long and a 33 long, too, but those aren't very nano feeling.

I'm liking the 20 long idea. I'll need the stand from the 37, but thats fine. That can go to 20H without changing a thing livestock wise. Then Mom (37 is at her house) can have a real light and some corals. That will become the low-tech softy reef.

Then I'll go 20 long, 10 gallon sump, mixed reef. I'm thinking MP10 and 175w MH. Every tank I've ever built before has been a compromise of some sorts. Used equipment, inferior equipment, small size, underlit, etc. If I do this, I'm doing this one right. I'd like to spend a little money and make this one as nice as I know how.

Deleted User 6

I like the entire idea, except for the 175w MH. Why not 150w? I was under the impression that the bulb selection was superior for 150s?

Not dead set on any light, really. I just know I can get a deal on 175s and it could potentially be moved and added-to for the 180. My ultimate goal is 3x 175 MH + T5HO supplementation on the 180. But that's big money that I don't have right now. I very well might go 4x24 T5HO from the get go on a 20L.

Deleted User 6

i'm just not a fan of T5 lighting. it's too sterile for me. The spread is even to a fault. I need some shadows and shimmer. MH or LED for me.

i'm just not a fan of T5 lighting. it's too sterile for me. The spread is even to a fault. I need some shadows and shimmer. MH or LED for me.

You convinced me. Bought a 150 halide yesterday. Moved everything to a 10 gallon for now while I put together a bigger build. K-nano, AC110 fuge w/ chaeto, 50w heater, 150w MH 14000k, bare-bottom, 2 occy clowns and a yellow-tail damsel. Voila.

Crappy cell phone picture for tonight. The water was still a little cloudy. Better pictures tomorrow night.

10gallon7-31-11.jpg

Some coral shots

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

The fish

IMG_0122.jpg

Notice he has stubs for pelvic fins, he's my little gimp. He seems to swim fine.

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

FTS

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Why Skillzypoo, when did you get so good with a camera?

Nice tank bud. This'll be fun.

Thanks!

I've always been okay with a camera, I just never take pictures. Having a good eye is half the battle, the other half is effort. I turned the pumps off and everything for this one! Not bad for a $55 P&S, eh?

Elizabeth loves this tank, she says I'm not doing the 20-long, that this is just fine. We'll give it a little time. I can't wait for things to fill in some. I'm also looking forward to the bleached blue yuma (in the shot-glass) coming back to life from its time in the crappy little NC12. I also have one of Lani's famous pink yumas. I'm going to see what cool basic stuff I can find locally, I've got some nice GSP frags to trade.

Archived