Innovative Marine Aquariums

my ap24g

modularduck

Looking nice! It that a torch coral in the left side of the tank?

The clown gobies look neat perched on the corals (I will be getting another one soona s that was my wife's favorite fish).

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
modularduck

yes it is a torch, that i think is a bit to big for my little 24 gallons of ocean i think im going to frag it as there is 6 full heads. i had to move the sun coral cause when its fully extended it can sting other corals quite far away. i did see the yasha feed last night when i put in a bit of FBS. he is really inpressive i need to get a pic of him soon. yellow clown gobies are super cool litle fish i was even thinking of getting another one though with three gobies already i fear im pushing the bio load.

modularduck

so this last weekend i did a bad thing. i saw a piece of really cool lime green pagoda i had to have and bought with out really thinking the matter through. upon getting it home i realized what i had purchased was to put it simply HUGE! so i went to work rearranging things to fit it in along with the very unusual finger leather i picked up. all water parameters are normal. i will be posting more pics of new aquascape and corals tonight along with a pic of yasha.

modularduck

so here are some new pics of the aquascape and the new corals.

left side.

i451700_DSCF0814.JPG

FTS.

i451724_DSCF0815.JPG

right side.

i451727_DSCF0816.JPG

and the yasha.

i451732_DSCF0791.JPG

and a fun pic of the cuc and GSP

i451736_DSCF0819.JPG

im really happy with the way things are starting to look, almost looks like a reef now! :0)

Holy cow! That pagado IS huge! But I think it fits, as you have that huge torch on the other side.

And that is a crazy looking cucumber. Does he stir up the sand a lot? Might have to look into getting one of those down the road.

In the full on shot, is that an anemone hiding in the cave?

I think the aquascaping come out great.

Tank is coming along nicely. Got an AP24 myself here a while back, but it has been slow going. I have some questions about your system:

1)What lighting are you using?

2)Give some details about your setting up the second MJ900. (How did you plumb it through the back wall, or did you? Which chamber did you put it in? Did you use bulkhead, 90 degree elbow and locline?) I got 2 MJ900's for mine, but haven't decided exactly where I want the 2nd MJ900, which depends on the 3rd question...

3)Do you still plan to try a back chamber fuge?

Thanks

modularduck
Does he stir up the sand a lot?

In the full on shot, is that an anemone hiding in the cave?

I think the aquascaping come out great.

The cuc basically just cruises around looking forthe best place to put out his mouth parts and feed really doesn't spend much time on the sand bed unless im playin in the tank but is super cool to look at and under actinics he glows like some radioactive slug! thanx JL.

1)What lighting are you using?

2)Give some details about your setting up the second MJ900. (How did you plumb it through the back wall, or did you? Which chamber did you put it in? Did you use bulkhead, 90 degree elbow and locline?) I got 2 MJ900's for mine, but haven't decided exactly where I want the 2nd MJ900, which depends on the 3rd question...

3)Do you still plan to try a back chamber fuge?

Thanks

knox to answer your questions

1. i just have the stock PC lighting for now

2. so the first 900 just gets plugged into the stock tubing and elbow, i used a hydorflo on that output. in the same chamber (2) i then drilled into the angled part of the same chamber to install the bulk head and installed the stock lock line and then hooked up the 2nd 900 to an elbow and the bulk head. the first chamber has the heater in it.

3. yes i still plan on doing the fuge. so you'll notice that the back of the chamber is just a piece of thin plastic you can cut with a razor blade. just cut out to the size of the light you want and mount light on the outside of the back of the chamber and your all good, other than making sure you don't have to much bleed over from the light. i hope this is helpful. also you can check the forums for "ap24 mods" good luck and i look forward to seeing your tank.

modularduck

so this last weekend i noticed that my yellow clown goby has ich, so i imediately started supplementing with garlic and am in the process of setting up a QT tank for the little guy. the fire fish and yasha are still fine and the YCG is still eatting like a champ so no to worried. i suspect that during my last weekly water change the water used got a bit to warm coupled with my loss of the BTA, which sucks, after moving it from its hiding place under some rock in a cave where it got little light, it had perked up and was eatting really well but then just went. anyway luckily i got it out soon after it was gone to keep from totally nuking tank but it did raise the nitrate levels to almost 60ppm. i imediatly did another water change to start bringing the levels back down and will do another tonight after work. i suppose its true that the greatest killer of marine life is lack of education about the needs of an animal. a mistake i wish i had not made.

Yikes! Good thing you got the anemone out in time.

While it sounds like you definitely had the conditions to induce stress and bring our ich, are you sure it wasn't just some loose scales? I have noticed on our current clown goby (and past one) that they seem to have loose scales from time to time.

Just a thought.

Here's to a quickly and painless recovery for the tank!

modularduck

thanks for your wishes JL, no im sure its ich after years of FW its hard to not see it. lol. no biggie im sure once i move the little guy into his temp home and treat him with copper it will all be good. although im wondering if i should just leave my QT bare bottom or add some LS and LR to it. i know copper will kill corals but not sure about LR. any thoughts?

modularduck
Are you using the Aquaclear as a mechanical Filter or a fuge?

Thanks..........

as a fuge on my 5.5,

so i checked my water 2 days ago and was shocked to find my ph at 7.4. so began the task of raising it back to acceptable lvls. i guessing this is still fall out from the loss of the BTA. however everything else seems fine. no lasting ill effects so far.

modularduck

So continues the saga of fall out from the BTA. lost 2 large turbos and 2 of the 8 heads on my torch, been doing small water changes everyday to keep polutant levels down everything seems to be working its way thought. picked up some new frags for the soon to be mantis tank that is cycling right now. i will be starting a mantis tank thread with tons of pics once everything is fully ready. on the up side i got a really cool piece of acan this weekend and also some new rics, also got a bunch of little zoa frags for 10 bucks will be posting some new tank pics soon.

Yikes! Keep up on those water changes, and if you are not using it, I would also add some type of carbon to help pull out the nasties in the water.

Hope this is the end to your losses....

modularduck

yeah i added carbon and zeolyte and also put some phosban in for good measure. i hope so too JL, i think it should be everything seems to be gettig better the leathers are big and full clove polyps are out GSP doing well so i think i finally have a handle on it. it amazes me how such small changes can have such large and lasting effects on a tank. great study in small eco systems.

modularduck

so i just ordered my sunpod 70w MH should be plenty of light for what i have in mine tank currently. and should allow for some sps, super excited. any advice on making the switch?

i will be using the lighting in my stock hood for my new 5.5g soon to be mantis tank, which is cycling currently. will be posting a new thread on it once its all cycled and going.

fraggle rockette
so i just ordered my sunpod 70w MH should be plenty of light for what i have in mine tank currently. and should allow for some sps, super excited. any advice on making the switch?

i will be using the lighting in my stock hood for my new 5.5g soon to be mantis tank, which is cycling currently. will be posting a new thread on it once its all cycled and going.

make sure you slowly adjust your corals to the new amount of light or they will bleach. if you can move stuff to the sandbed, cool- do that and move them back toward (upwards) their final location. if you cant, shorter photo periods should do the trick, but you may still get a little bleaching. i started at 3 hours a day and worked up to 6-7. good luck!!!

modularduck
make sure you slowly adjust your corals to the new amount of light or they will bleach. if you can move stuff to the sandbed, cool- do that and move them back toward (upwards) their final location. if you cant, shorter photo periods should do the trick, but you may still get a little bleaching. i started at 3 hours a day and worked up to 6-7. good luck!!!

Thanks FR yeah i have been reading up tryin to get everything ready for the change over. I will be going to shorter photo period for sure and then increasing. just out of curiosity how often did you etend your light period and at what interval?

seahorsejl

I also remember reading about people putting multiple layers of meshing over the top of the tank and then slowly removing a layer each week or so.

Just another idea ...

modularduck

So it has arrived. now if i could just finish work...lol. can't wait to get my new sunpod all set up and going tonight. yeah thanks for the advice guys i imagine i'll combine technics. looking into getting a sapphire skimmer since they make one for the ap24 any thoughts on these?

modularduck

I can't believe the difference the sunpod makes. everything looks so much better!!! it really is amazing.

pic of pod

i568206_DSCF0840.JPG

starting with 3 hour light cycle, and will monitor everything.

i have changes the aquascaping a bit in preperation for the new light.

pic of the MH just starting up.

i568226_DSCF0843.JPG

now i just gotta convince the fiance i need the sapphire...

edit: changed photo links

Archived