SaltCritters.com

10 Gallon Canopy

rux

I made a canopy for my ten gallon tank using Ross's directions. I basically copied everything that Ross did but just did not do as much work. I have the 2 x 36 watt kit installed from AH Supply. The wood is a oak venier plywood. I stained it and used just regular polyurethane, not varathene like Ross used.

This is all of the wood cut to Ross's directions. I cut it using a table saw and a mitre saw for the smaller cuts.

This is a picture of the top trim being glued on. I glued it then used a brad nailer to secure it a little tighter. As you can tell the 45 degree cuts were far from perfect.

This is the inside of the canopy with the triangle blocks that Ross suggested in place. This was taken before I added the blocks that would hold the canopy on.

Wow - it's like looking at my hood. Very nice job, sir. That wood filler's a life saver, huh? Be sure to keep us posted when you add livestock!

Ross

Originally posted by rux

This is the fan hole covered with the same thing that Ross used.  I found it online by doing a search for 115 volt fan cover.

I have searched and searched till I thought I was going to :x I can't take it anymore:*( Did you buy on-line if so do you remember the place.

I used a 115 volt fan so that I could wire it right into the ballast. I figured this owuld be easier. Ross has some plans about how to wire 12 volt fans using some sort of transformer.

Brandon

I see that you joined your front piece of wood to the sides with a 45 degree angle joint. Did you simply glue this joint, or did you nail/screw, ect??

Also, where did you purchase your fans from??

I glued the joints. I attempted to nail them using a brad nailer. After several nails shooting through thw wrong side I decided to only use glue. Than I used osme small L brackets to make it a little more secure. I got my fan from RadioShack.

Brandon

Archived