Top Shelf Aquatics

Non-photosythetics easier now?

DongShenYin

With all the new phytoplankton foods now available, has it become easier to keep non-photosynthetic corals and filter feeders? Anyone have a Dendronephthya sp. ? Successfully?

with bio plankton, I have a colored sea squirt for a couple months so far. Planning on trying carnations in the future. I also have a red gorgonian which get crushed fish food and plankton.

Its been up for about 7 months. I added the gorgonian in about 2 months after the tank was up. I didn't have a refugium although I do now. My other tank that's older (the one with the sea squirt) get the plankton as well and there's tons of sponge growth and pods. Theres also a photosynthetic gorgonian in it whose polyps come out when the tank is fed.

Dora,

yeah it is pretty easy to care for non-light lovers no days. you just have to make sure you feed them regularly like 3 times a week or so. Water quality is also an issue with these types of coral.

What are you guys feeding your non-photos? I am under the impression from various articles that non-live phytoplankton is basically useless due to clumping and/or cell damage. Do you use DT's phyto? I have seen that DT's also has a frozen oyster egg product as well, but I haven't tried that. I recently switched to DT's phyto. I haven't been using it for too long, so I can't report on its benefits yet.

Steve

a plan on getting the oyster eggs too. Frozen plankton has an expiration date on it. The clumping occurs at that time. I would highly reccomend a fuge for non-photos because it aids in the production of "nano plankton" that ins't found in bottled supplements but is essential.

I spent about 6 hours last night reading research reports and other scientific reports of protein absorption in Dendronephthya spp. and the survival rate is still dismal. Only two public aquariums have been able to maintain them, and with 50% mortality rate and very specialized surge tanks. I was going to attempt a species tank, but after my readings, I'm not willing to kill them, as they always invariably die.

I'm planning on a species tank for Scleronephthya, as well. Heavy feedings of both zooplankton, phytoplankton, rotifers, and DSBsand stirring seem to help...though it will still be difficult. Do you have and instant messanger programs - perhaps we could share results?

Best of luck to you guys. It's hobbists like you who are the ones who make the most advances in learning about these amazing creatures. :D :D :D

When you feed stuff like DT's, even if it doesn't directly help out your "targets", it is a great food for the living critters that the corals would feed on. I'm a believer in DT's and products like micro-vert because I have a tank full of acro, and all of them have grown in the past month that I've had them. My little crocea clam has also shown very visible growth of his shell. My corals can't be living and triving on just light alone, so I figure I must be doing something right. ;)

Yup!!!!! But I do think DT's is crap. Marine snow is also crap IMHP.

Micro-vert, Cyclo-peez, Oyster eggs (although very expensive!),

good old fashion brine, mysiss, krill and silver side are what mine get. Along with B-ionic parts 1 and 2, essential elements, iodine,

and reef plus for aminos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mike Maddox
Originally posted by SaltyDawg

Yup!!!!! But I do think DT's is crap.  Marine snow is also crap IMHP.

Micro-vert, Cyclo-peez, Oyster eggs (although very expensive!),

good old fashion brine, mysiss, krill and silver side are what mine get. Along with B-ionic parts 1 and 2, essential elements, iodine,

and reef plus for aminos.

It has been published (proven) scientifically (analyzation of cell size, species, cell count, gill captures in Tridacnae that DT's is an excellent food for Tradacna clams.

Mike Maddox
Originally posted by jdav

I've got the biggest suncoral I've ever seen in person and a carnation that has done very well in my tank.

I feed microvert and phytoplex.

How long have you had your "carnation"? Are you sure of it's species?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived