Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY: 20" Coralife Aqualight w/ 150w MH

jmt

Well, since my project ( http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=31370 ) is finally nearing completion, I thought I might update.

I started w/ a 20", 28w Coralife Aqualight mounted over my 16ga Bow w/ Coralife Legs.

The plan is to remove the 28w Bulb, clips, and ballast, to make way for a 150w MH DE bulb.

I replaced the acrylic shield with some UV blocking glass, and installed two 40mm fans on one side to relieve the pressure from the heat.

The ballast is a 150w Advance Magnetic ballast.

I ordered a 150w 13k bulb and a set of deluxe style endcaps. When the package arrived, I recieved the end caps, but the bulb was a 175w 13k MH SE. I contaced the shipper and arranged to be reimbursed for shipping the bulb back, and I should be recieving the correct bulb next week.

Here are some pics.

2x40mm Fans (that need to be cleaned apparently):

5403fans.JPG

Endcaps and Ballast (with some wiring to a junction box):

5403ballastandcaps.JPG

I will post back when the bulb arrives, documenting the completion of this project.

Thanks.

-Justin

man oh man......lol, jmt, i went on vacation on the 22 and got back the 29th and figured that if you had finished the diy that it would have received a bunch of replies and whatnot...its...what... a week after i got home and i just see this thread?! keep the updates coming!!!! i'm hella rip roarin' and ready to go on this diy project!

Ok, well after a few test runs, this project is no more. The cost of tempered glass would have set me back more than they cost of building a pendant I know would work. So, I went with the pendant.

In all honesty, I think it would work w/ a 70w MH. But that wasn't enough light for my tank.

Pics:

5403tank7132004.JPG

5403booyah_.JPG

Thanks for everything.

-Justin

PS - If anyone thinks they can finish this project out, let me know and I'll sell you what's left for $CHEAP$. Otherwise it will just be sitting around.

Archived