Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Carbon fiber mini HQi pendants

Von digity

I'm gauging interest (the same way as some other members have for LED lighting etc...) for Carbon fiber mini HQI pendants.

They would be made to fit the needs of 70 watt HQI's. Sold bare, the buyer would do all the modifications to it (buying/cutting a reflector, hqi sockets, the glass shield, wiring it up, adding an optional fan, etc.)

Materials are vinylester resin (this type of resin can withstand high temps), 2 layers of carbon fiber, and maybe a coating of fire retardent on the inside. They would include a slot for the uv glass, or similar material used to shield the hqi bulb.

So far, I have the mold layed over my plug and I am just waiting for it to cure before I pull it off, and begin prepping it.

Will post pics of the mold, plug and dimensions once I've seperated it. I'll also post pics of actuall product and drawings once I'm finished. I'm looking for $30.00 each? Sound reasonable?

Thanks for looking.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ran into some dimension problems with my original plug and decided to scratch it.

Heres a pic of my new plug that is just finishing up before I make a mold of it.

The floppy disk is there for size reference. The dimensions of this piece will fit a 70/150 watt DE MH, maybe a 13 watt act pc bulb, maybe a small fan. Also, the overall shape of the pendant should make it small enough to hang over small tanks like 2.5's or 5.5's.

The plug/model is constructed of MDF and gobs of Bondo.

Would you make them other colors? The usual Black? Do you have a slot or shelf of somesort for the UV shield to rest? Holes drilled for wiring?

Its going to take a fairly lengthy response, so here goes :)

For now, they would be the standard black carbon fiber weave (glossy) finish. Unless you wanted them to actually be painted, then I think something could be arranged. There are also ways to color carbon fiber so it looks like a "checkered" pattern, black and whatever color you choose. But I haven't looked too much into that. There will be a built in slot/shelf/lip on the bottom of the fixture. I have figured a way to do this out of 1 piece of CF so it will look clean. you'll just have to wait and see when I actually lay a fixture.

I was thinking that since they are just CF and there is no crazy-ness involved in drilling them, the buyer or I could handle modifying it to thier needs. That way they would be totally custom to fit the exact needs of the reefer. (ie. hole dimensions, what side the wire exits, optional fan hole, etc...) If I sell a few bare pendants, I might even look into getting some fully rigged with reflectors, sockets, wiring, etc..

I might be interested if you make it that sweet black and grey weave pattern and if you include reflector and the socket.

Well, I will be working on laying a mold today. I'll probly have one out by early next week (latest.) Standard carbon fiber is black, but because its weaved, it appears to be black and grey.

tight-weave-carbon-fiber.jpg

You could probly cram one in there, the only thing is the reflector would be too narrow to do any use over a bigger tank. But if you wanted to try 250 watt DE over a 2.5, a 5.5, or maybe a 10, this would be perfect.

I'm thinking that after I yank out a few of these (if everything works out according to plan) that I'll start work on a larger plug, that will be wide enough for 250's or even 2 150s and 2 36 watt pcs. The ultimate 10-20 gallon pendant.

Just for fun, heres a pic of the plug with a nice layer of gloss (a few coats of clear coat). Its mounted on a scrap piece of MDF.

I just finished laying my mold (wax, pva, gelcoat, fiberglassing.. all that good stuff) I'll have pics in an few hours when I pull it off.

To prove I'm seriuos about this project:

A mold is born, with a few imperfections that a little plastic surgery can fix.

a_fool_for_fish

i wanted to get a 70w MH set up for my 10 or my 2.5 and my only concern was heat output so if you could spruce up that pendant a little and maybe add a reflector and sockets holes for wiring and maybe even some fans

ps i live in orange county so i could probly pick one up if i decide to get one

a_fool_for_fish, sent you a Pm.

Also, anyone with questions feel free to pm me or post them here.

Thanks.

Lots of imperfections, but I have the technique down and know what I did wrong. The next one will come out perfect.

Notice the slot. Note, that when using flash, the greys really stand out, this is a non flash photo, but the top 2 are.

a_fool_for_fish

its coming along, it looks real nice this is a little off topic and i dont meen to steal your thread but were is the cheapest place you guys have seen set ups for hqi MH

Is this a pendant for the Ushio 70w DE lamp. I would like to add this lamp to my 15 gallon tank but need a pendant so I can hang it from the ceiling. DIY is three letters I dont want to hear. I need plug and play :) Please help me out!

Hi, I see I have some feeback. I'm working on a better way to produce these things, so it may take a week and a half to get it perfect.

a_fool_for_fish,

I would try ebay. Do some thread searching here and you'll find out exactly what you need (however, you run the risk of buying POS quality brands like WPI and catalina that are known crapper outers). If you want a great set-up with really good quality components for a really good price, check out LampDr. He has an add in the classified section.

mokick3,

YES, this is made for especially for 70 watters. Give me a little time and I'll be able to get you complete plug and play set-up.

Rikko,

It's taking alot more funds and time then I expected. However, I'd like to keep the prices low still and get 35-40 for the bare pendant+reflector.

Archived