SaltCritters.com

my 6g eclipse w/70w MH upgrade

sonic

heres a couple of shots of my office nano, still work in progress, and the pics came out crappy (the colors got washed out)... but you get the idea

nano_103103_1.jpg

nano_103103_2.jpg

Top, the fixture is a regent 300w, worked like charm

nano_103103_3.jpg

The back from the top. you can see the stand I made for the fixture and the ballast

nano_103103_4.jpg

Overall I'm VERY happy with the MH, everything "woke up" and looks soooo much better!!

the glass on the fixture is about 1.5" from the brace and the water is about an in lower, but the bulb is way up in the fixture, around 3-4" from the glass, the brace doesn't get hot at all, its been running with the MH for like 2 weeks, I just took the pics tho.

fishin's fun :P

nice tank. that halide really illuminates it. have you thought about placing the light at an angle and set off to one side of that center brace? might get around it. not sure

thanks for the comments!

the MH setup I put together, it has one of those eballast that some guy here was selling for $25, a regent 300w fixutre, and a catalina bulb. Alltogether it cost me around $75 to put together, can't beat that :P

the fishing poster are not really posters, they are pics of me :)

I fish pretty much every weekend, my favorite thing to do (other than mess with my tanks offcourse)

In these pics the shadow from the brace looks worse than it really is, I might try your suggestion on placing the lights to the side.

whooozyooodady

Can you please post some more pics on the stand you made for the fixture, and give a brief description on how you made it?

Thanks, Kia

I'll post pics when I take more, its REALLY simple but does the job.

This is my first MH setup so I have nothing to compare the Catalina bulb to, but for me it has fired up every day without fault, so far its definitely worth it...

I have a 3 gal eclipse and I cut that center post off to fit my lights in the stock hood. I don't know if the weight of the extra 3 gals will bow the tank or break it but mine is fine and I carry it full of water and so far nothing bad has happened.

Hurricane

Thanks for the tip Hurricane, I have thought of doing the same, theres not really much tension on the center brace, I don't really want a bunch of plastic shavings going into the water from the dremmel cutting it though.

The top frame just lifts off the Eclipse 6, so if you want to chop the brace off that would work. Let me know if you do, I'm just setting up my Eclipse 6, has lots of light, but if I can get away without the brace so much the better.

Archived