Coral Vue Hydros

Anemone with white film

lostdog

Just got the second part of my 10g package from Tampa Bay Saltwater a couple days ago. They included the following Anemone. Tank parameters are fine except for slightly increased ammonia and nitrite due to the 10lbs of added rock as well as the cleanup crew. First I'd like to know what type of anemone it is, and second, what is the white filmy stuff on the anemone? It's only in one location, but when the water stirs in that area, it clouds up the water a little. I'm hoping it's not going to harm everything in the tank, but need to know ASAP if I need to do something to it. Also, when he was first added to the tank, he got slightly caught in the intake of my powerhead, and the filmy area looks like the side that was caught, so is he just healing? The rest of him looks ok I guess, but since I haven't seen other pics of similar anemones, I don't know what "normal" is. Thanks!

It looks like damaged tissue to me. I'm not sure if the film is part of the healing process, or the breakdown of existing tissue. It won't pose any threat to the rest of your tank, other than typical decomposition polution (ie, adding more ammonia/nitrite/nitrate).

The most important thing in helping it heal is to reduce other stress. Your new mini-cycle isn't going to help here.

I'm not sure what kind of anemone it is, I'm guessing something east-coasty or gulfy, which aren't near as well described in the aquarium trade as the pacific species.

Also, be sure to feed it every couple of days. If you don't know what it eats, I'd start by offering Formula One or some other crustacean mix. If that doesn't work, I'd buy some Silversides and chop them up real small for it.

Well, the film is gone, and he's looking better. Nothing went haywire in my tank either, so it didn't seem to harm anything else. I've tried feeding it mysis shrimp, and it seems to be ok with that. Maybe I'll have to send off an email to TBSaltwater to see what it is.

Archived