Pod Your Reef

Azoo or Alife?

tgrupert

I saw this on dr foster smith and did a double-take. this looks A LOT like my alife.

lg_12822_20048.jpg

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=9024

only 80 dollars!

These 7.4-gallon curved glass aquariums have an all-in-one design that not only saves space, but also is easy to set up and maintain. Fashioned with 90° curved glass edges, and the hood includes built-in power compact fluorescent lighting and a 47 gph, 3-stage filtration unit. This system also has an undergravel filter for greater water circulation, and a small feeding door on the hood makes accessing fish easier. Please specify Pewter or Silver. 14-3/4" x 9-1/4" x 12-1/2" high.

i saw the same thing in the aquatic eco catalog-but for more money. i'd be curious to know what wattage the PC is? maybe more of these tanks will give us 27watters more bulb options! does look remarkably similar! later

the other TG

can the UGF, pewter, the tanks not quite as deep (front-to-back) and the corners are rounded. the only major differences i see. knowing me i'd prolly wind up gutting the thing!X) could make a nice lil nano minus the UGF!

Originally posted by Crakeur

undergravel filter?  not good for da reef no?

it has a UGF AND it has the filter in the back like an ALIFE. i woul like to see better pictures to see the UGF if it really has it.

the difference is they put the plastic sheet in the back backwards so the overflow is on the right not the left. the PH is on the left not the right. it looks like it has the same holes for the fan. it has the same little door on the front. i've looked at the AZOO english page with no luck. Also looked at the ZZOO site. does anyone here know chinese? you could really help me out.

Originally posted by Twins Guy

can the UGF, pewter, the tanks not quite as deep (front-to-back) and the corners are rounded.  the only major differences i see.  knowing me i'd prolly wind up gutting the thing!X)  could make a nice lil nano minus the UGF!

I think they used there bent glass tank that everyone here loves and licenced alifes top and back plate. it is only 7.4 gallons not 7.5. also it may actually be th same size. people measure diferently. this really woukld be an amazing deal compared to a minibow 7. they cost 50-85 dollars and are really incomplete.

the one at aquatic ecosystems comes with more stuff.

Great for desktops and schools! These miniature aquarium systems by AZOO feature integrated filtration systems and compact fluorescent lighting. Available in silver and black, each tank holds 7.5 gallons and can be used with fresh or salt water. The tanks are constructed of glass and have bent 90° front corner angles. Tanks measure 15" x 9" x 13" and are guaranteed not to leak. Systems are 115V/60Hz. AZOO Mini-Reef Tanks include a 7.5-gallon glass tank, full hood with reef bulb (50% actinic 03, 50% actinic white), integrated filter system with pump, Araga-Live™ Special grade sand, sea salt, hydrometer, 10 oz of Chemi-Pure™ and a PolyFilter. AZOO Mini-Tanks include a 7.5-gallon glass tank, full hood with compact fluorescent bulb, integrated back and undergravel filter system and submersible pump.

They might all have this stuff, but they claim to have it.

Originally posted by tgrupert

....... AND it has the filter in the back like an ALIFE......

I'd have to disagree and say this is more like the eclipse hoods with the filtration built into the hood. As per the description (.......and the hood includes built-in power compact fluorescent lighting and a 47 gph, 3-stage filtration unit.). Hard to say though, nice looking tank none-the-less (especially if it comes with a 27watter like the alifes)..

Sands

((I stand corrected..... You'd think these people would put accurate descriptions in order to minimize customer calls and answering questions.... Geshhhh... Nice system though, mighty tempting for an office system once I get my 20 up and running))

their discriptions suck. if you look at the back you can see the black aseparator with the same exact inlets for water. the water movment comes from the power-head. i think the wayt the UGF works if water can be sucked into the back through thwe gravel. the separator may not completly touch the bottom of thetank. the UGF mi9ght also be compltly made up.

aquatic ecosystems seems to have the best discriptiopns

AZOO Mini-Tanks include a 7.5-gallon glass tank, full hood with compact fluorescent bulb, integrated back and undergravel filter system and submersible pump.

That is one kick ass tank for the price (especially if they are 27's). If it does have an undergravel, who cares, just take it out (but leave the PH if it comes with it. So who's gonna get one?

I just called AES, aquatic eco-systems, since I live so close and they said that they will meet the price of Dr Fosters and Smith, they have them in stock and soon AES will have the 2 bulb upgrade. It comes with a 13W light, but with the 2 bulb upgrade it will give you two 13W lights and they have seperate switches. They said the only real difference is that the AZOO does not have a cooling fan, the glass on the AZOO is curved with no seems on the front, they both have three stage filtration, although they did say that the AZOO has a much better filter!

technoshaman

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to make a mini plenum with the existing UGF in one of these or more likely the Via Aqua? I'm guessing you are dealing with too small a water volume in a nano that size and if the bacteria population did crash for some reason you'd be in trouble. Seems easy enough though just put some fine mesh over the ugf and cover with sand and get some water moving.

Originally posted by MacnReef

I just called AES, aquatic eco-systems, since I live so close and they said that they will meet the price of Dr Fosters and Smith, they have them in stock and soon AES will have the 2 bulb upgrade.  It comes with a 13W light, but with the 2 bulb upgrade it will give you two 13W lights and they have seperate switches.

Did they say exactly when the light upgrade will be available?

is it a 50/50 13watt bulb? tell them they should advertize here. if they are willing to sell this for 80 bucks I really think they would sell a large amount. also ask them if they could get some more shots of the tanjk including the hood and filter area.

Yesterday I went to the client with the alife and It definatly is a different hood. also I would say the alife is a little more narrow.

Archived