ReefCleaners.org

Plumbing Setup, please give feedback!

kinetic

Here is my plumbing setup. I'm still newbie, but let me know if these will all fit and if this will work. This is based off of the plumbing instructions from here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/add_...fm?pCatId=10668

Tank: 32 Gallon Acrylic Bowfront M-Tank (30" x 16" x 18")

Return pump: Quiet One 3000 (780 Gallons Per Hour)

Plumbing:

3/4 ID vinyl tube attached to Quiet One 3000 output

3/4 in. Ball Valve (Barbed) attached to top of tube

3/4 ID vinyl tube (small piece) attached to Ball Valve

3/4 ID vinyl tube attached to bottom of SCWD with 3/4 hose clamp

3/4 ID vinyl tubes (2 of them) coming from both outlets of SCWD held on by 3/4 hose clamps.

2 3/4 in. ball socket nozzles connected to small section of 3/4 ID vinyl tube

The tubes from the nozzles then connected to 3/4 in. elbows

Elbows then connected to the 2 3/4 ID vinyl tubes from SCWD, all connected by clamps.

Total Equipment

5x ft 3/4 ID vinyl tube

1x ball valve (barbed)

2x 3/4 elbows

8x hose clamps

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Sounds ok...? draw a picture... i'm a visual learner... How are you going to secure the nozzles in the tank? are you planning to drill? i recommend drilling and installing the nozzles as i have done, but instead of hard plumbing simply attach a barbed connector and run the tubing from the scwd to the barbed onnectors on either side of the tank...

Originally posted by The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

maybe like this...

Nice diagram!

I'm having another thought: since the outlet from return pipe is on the opposite side and not directly in the middle, I could install the SCWD there, and then have one side extend the back wall to the middle, and the other side extend the left wall. It would be interesting, a bit less symmetrical, but then it might help push water into the overflow. What do you guys think?

So what's everyone's opinion on this:

780 GPH return pump, will it be worth it to add a SCWD to the picture? I bought one already, but having second thoughts now. How much will it help? If it has to be maintained a lot, one day what if it seizes and I totally lose any pumping? Would it make more sense to just leave it as one return nozzle?

so:

1. Is a SCWD needed or worth it?

2. Would my setup be great even w/o a SCWD?

i liked the sqwd action but i have removed it. my tank location doesn't allow for easy access to clean. also ran a slower pump, so had a tendency for debris to get caught easily. you have higher flow so stuff should be blowing out pretty easily. also may want to consider a closed loop system so prefilter takes care of debris. if you want something better by a om squirt. much better option than a sqwd on a high price system like yours.

Archived