SaltCritters.com

via aqua update

tonkadawg

Well, it has been about 2 months since I set up my Via Aqua 21 gallon and I thought I would give an update.

tank specifics -

2xRio 90 PH's

30 lbs Tonga LR

20 lbs LS

75 watt ebo jager heater

2x36 pc lights (came with tank)

water params-

ph - 8.1

ammonia - 0.0

nitrite - 0.0

nitrate - < 5.0

temp 81 degrees

SG 1.024

So far I have added 2 turbo snails, about half dozen hermit crabs, 1 greenstar polyp, some shrooms, and a red finger. Everything appears to be doing great! The greenstar polyp has really opened up, and I was even able to move a couple of polyps that broke off on another piece of rock.

Thanks to everyone for their posts, questions, and advice !

Temecula Reefer

great to HEAR your tank is coming along..... now lets SEE some pics please!! by the way... how much evaporation does your tank have? I think you said it was cut way down with your cover... hopefully I'll have some pics of mine by New Years:D

Originally posted by Temecula Reefer

by the way... how much evaporation does your tank have? I think you said it was cut way down with your cover...

Yeah, the cover has cut evaporation way down - I don't know exactly as I only top off when I do my water changes, but I will be doing one this weekend and will pay attention and let you know.

If you were thinking of doing the Via Aqua with a cover, bit of advice, get some plexi-glass that is thick enough so it doesn't bow. Mine is maybe a 1/8(?) thick and is constantly dipping into the tank when the lights heat it up a bit. Gonna have to make a new one out of thicker material.

Some other info on the tank - not dosing anything up to this point, starting with calcium to get it to the proper level for a few LPS's - other than that, water changes, water changes and did I say water changes???

Temecula Reefer

Tank is looking great... I was wondering how much rock I wanted to go with... looks like 30lbs is perfect.. did you mail order your LR or get it from your LFS? I already bought the plexiglass and fit it in there, I got the extra stong stuff from Lowes so hopefully it wont bow:( are those red fingers easy to care for? I love the bright color

yeah, I initially had 25 lbs and the tank still looked a little bare, so added another piece and figured the corals I was planning on would fill in the holes. I got mine at my LFS, but I have seen others get it online and that stuff looks great!!!

I actually just got the red finger last night. But, from my research, all I really need to do is feed them weekly (LFS recommended zooplankton(?)). In fact, a couple of branches broke off before I got the guy home (very upset), but I picked those pieces up and dropped them in the tank and a few hours later, the polyps were out in full force. The one thing I was warned about was to not expose the finger coral to air, always keep em in water.

Archived