Pod Your Reef

Pictures of my 10g tank....

Civicman86

Here are some pics of my 10g that I took two days ago. The water is a bit cloudy in the pics since I had just reaquascaped. There is now a black clown in the tank too that is now pictured.

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

Ill snap a pic of him here in a few minutes. To my knowledge he is just a percula black clowns. Sorry for noobishness, Im still learning :)

True perculas:

Amphiprion perculas can't be found completely jet black. They have morphs with black bodies but the fins are still orange. This morph is called an onyx clown.

False perculas

Amphiprion ocellaris can be found all jet black with white stripes. This is likely what you have.

Here are pics of Oscar :)

I guess my guy is true. I always thought they were somewhat orange and slowely turned black. His face and fins (im sure you can see above) are still a yellowish black.

Oscar1.jpg

Oscar2.jpg

Oscar3.jpg

How do you like your lighting setup? Is that the Satellite Dual Flourescent Compact Lights (w/ moon light)? I use that in my tank... I'm just ending the cycle, but I was wondering if it's doing you any good/bad

From the pic, it looks like you're running an HOB filter. If this is the case, consider removing the filter media and replacing it with some live rock rubble.

P.S. Your tank is cycled, right?

yes it is cycled. The HOB has nothing in it, it just basically moves more water for me. When I first started I only had one PH and the HOB. Now I have another PH (waiting for the suction cups to come in the mail) and it will be in there. One it comes Ill probally take the HOB off.

Im planning a fuge right now.

Also what is the easiest way to tell a true perc from a false? The guy at the store was all about, oh well that one is a true perc and the others are not real (he said he could tell by the stripes).

Either way it was suppose to be 30 bucks fish but I think he messed up and I got him for 18 bucks :)

The sure-fire way to tell ocellaris from percula is the number of dorsal fins. This is nearly impossible to count, however.

1. Percs have orange rings around their eyes. Ocellaris have dark rings around their eyes.

2. Percs typically have thicker black lines bordering their white stripes than ocellaris do.

Notice this true perc has more black around his white stripes and his eye is surrounded by orange.

Amphiprion_percula.jpg

This ocellaris pair has very faint black lines bording their white stripes and the perimeter of their eyes are dark.

Amphiprion_ocellaris.jpg

If I were you, I might leave the HOB filter on for circulation and cut a sponge to fit in the slot where water is returned to the display. This way it will catch hair and any other debris from returning to the display. Simply wash the sponge out bi-weekly. Do you follow?

Yup that sounds like a good idea actually. As long as i clean it once a week or biweekly my nitrites wont go up rgith?

Thanks ninimalist on the description between the two. So pretty much all the "percs" at the store werent really perks. The guy said he could tell the way the stripes shapes where at the top fin. Like if they went back it wastn. I didnt think that was right.

Originally posted by firefishbrain

how did you attach thos pics, love the LR, lots of tunnels

i uploaded them to my server. And then you just get the URL of the photo. Like the first pic in this post is on my server at

http://home.insightbb.com/~civicman86/tank1.jpg

If you clikc that link it will take you to that pic. To get them on the message board you put the url link above in the middle of img and /img tags (Around the IMG and /IMG you need sqaure brackets [] such as [1MG]). HTH :)

firefishbrain

I feel really stupid asking this, but what's a URL? isn't that a website address? Is it possible to take the pic from your hard drive and then putting it on your message?

Archived