Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

24g Update (2005)

ccjung

Ive called nearly everyone on the Pre Order list for the 24g (2005) models.

In most cases I left a message if I was unable to speak to someone about the plans regarding the construction of these systems.

As most of you may know,the 24g has had some problems with the Glass cracking and JBJ has decided to no longer honor "modded" systems after July 1, 2005.

As a result, I have been in development of an acrylic "clone" of the cube, available in 3 versions, 24g, 24g T(tall) and a 24g S (short). Those on the preorder list are going to get those particular versions of the cube as a "low cost" option for people in queue.

Because of the added weight of the hood and electronics, I feel that its in the customers best interest to wait for this version of the cube to be released before proceeding with the construction and fulfillment of the orders.

Those who paid in full for a unit (2004) but later opted for the 2005 were going to recieve a tremendous offer in exchange for your patience.. You will recieve the MAXED out hood (MSRP ~ 700) for the price you paid originally (most cases 400 or so).

Unfortunately some have been less patient than others, and have demanded a "refund" which I have happily issued.

At this time, if you are tired of waiting, and don't understand why I havent released the "hoods" yet, you are free to ask for a refund and I will issue them no questions asked.

IMHO I would much rather wait for the acrylic version than risk damage to my property or livestock in the event that the glass tank cracks.

That coupled with the added weight of the hoods and JBJs decision to no longer replace damaged tanks on "modded" systems leaves me with no choice but to ensure the safety of my customers.

Dave, this is not addressed to you. You have been my man since november and I promise you and others who decide to stick it through will not be let down.

Call it venting, call it what you will, but things that are done correctly take time. I always stand behind all the products I release, and want to make sure that my customers are safe.

As for an update, I will be at the manufacturer on wednesday to snap some pics of the Acrylic versions. I will keep you posted.

As always

Chris

To be clear, I think that in general despite the Cause of the "cracking" thats been going on with the nanocube, be it shipping, mishandling, manufacturing defects, design flaw, etc, they are by nature made of glass and DO crack. Acrylic has its own weaknesses, so its not the panacea for this problem.

The important thing to keep in mind is that this is a hobby we all take part in "at will" and voluntarily. In each device we use, there are risks involved.

I view the development of the acrylic versions does a few things:

1. Allows for more versatility with plumbing/mods

2. Has more margin for error and increased safety for the hardcore enthusiast.

3. Increased flexibility, since its inconcievable that JBJ would come out with the 24T and 24S models. They are looking at pushing volume of a "Value" product.

I dont want my post to be misconstrued as a jab at JBJ. We have and continue to have a great relationship.. From the very beginning, I have been a staunch supporter of JBJ and vice versa. Chances are, if you call them about a lighting upgrade, they will send you my way.. MY reps cell # is on speedial and so is steves... Sometimes we talk to each other just to see how things are going in our "personal" lives.. (yes i have a personal life too..)

I just have to be sure that my customers (who sometimes have double or triple the wieght in their canopys) will be safe.

Thanks for your continued support.

Chris

Will be by chance be selling a tank that fit the 24 gallon hood? I really like the hood as I'm using it freshwater than saltwater the 72 watts works fine.

Thanks

Steve

Cholesterol

I'll sell you mine! ;)

Seriously, I'm sure Chris will have a bunch of surplus tanks once the acrylics come out.

confused does this mean your not modding the hoods for current 24g users or that they won't be offered? my 24g has been running great since 1-25-05! I read these forums a lot and was hoping that something cool can be added to my tank in the future? I know I at least need the splash guard for the fans-- even though they have only crusted up once and that was because I had that spout on the left side (pump outlet) agitating the surface too much and salt got to the fans but it also was all over light sheild too, blocking light now it is adjusted in a way as to not cause splashing!

What this means is that the 2005 24g (nanocustoms built) hoods wont be built/released until the acryllc cubes are available.

All the other DIY lighting upgrades are still available.

The reason i am holding off for the acrylic cubes to come out is because I want to give my customers the satisfaction of a full warranty and peace of mind due to the added weight.

Chris

Ill be in Sin City Monday.

I may swing by to pick up the ICA from ya, if you dont mind.

I'll be curing the 24g ICAs over the weekend. Hopefully we can swap.

Chris

Archived