Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Millmod skimmer v1.1 production

NanoBob

Finally started the skimmers for the NC12. Thank you everyone for being patient. I will start shipping both the 12 and 24 models next week. I will notify the people who have ordered one via e-mail when I ship their skimmer. Attached you will find a few pictures of the NC12 model. The 24 has not changed. Please note that not all of the back brackets will be clear. Some will be black. The magnets are not epoxyed yet. I will do that when I get more finished so as not to waste the epoxy.

Bob

:) I haven't. I am getting dimensions from someone. Further modification to the design may be necessary. When I get caught up on my orders I will check into it. With any luck the 6 and 12 will be close to the same.

Bob

Originally posted by NanoBob

:)  I haven't. I am getting dimensions from someone.  Further modification to the design may be necessary. When I get caught up on my orders I will check into it.  With any luck the 6 and 12 will be close to the same.

Bob

I don't think that's possible. It's like any other overflow, you evap will happen on the backside. It will run dry first, then your pump will burn out, but the water can't exit beyond the lowest point of the teeth if nothing is pushing water in.

If you have any other intakes below the teeth, that could change things (closed loops, other PH drilled in the back). Also if your power goes out, you can get a back siphon to the lowest point of your loc-line, which could be below the teeth, so make sure that the top of the highest coral is below the lowest point of your return.

Thanks fliger very well stated.

That's one of the advantages of using skimmers similar to this. You control the level of the display water by how high the skimmer is positioned. At the same time you need to be very aware of evap because like you said, the back chambers can run dry. The first sign that this is happenning is a "waterfall" sound. When you can hear water it's time to top off.

Bob

Good news, preliminary checking shows that the NC12 skimer will work on the 6 gallon model. I need to do some final fitting to make sure, but it looks like no further modification is necessary. If anyone is interested in placing an order for the 6 just PM or e-mail me. I will start a pre-production list and make them in the order received.

thanks,

Bob

LVReefer,

Good question. I had my prototype in my 24 with a rio1200 and it worked ok. It is just about impossible to configure my skimmer to every pump setup. If you decide to go with my skimmer and it won't handle your flow just let me know. I will work with you to get it right.

Thanks,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
JayGlaze379

just curious how things are going with these. It breaks my heart to look at my casette tape skimmer every day knowing these exist :)

jay:

Slowly but surely making progress. I shipped out 4 pieces yesturday and I am working on the next batch this week. It is a painfully slow process primarily because I can't dedicate a big chunk of time to machining, it's been a few hours here and there. I will keep everyone posted.

Bob

Well I wish I was posting better news. As I have said in earlier threads I took the measurement for the 12DX skimmer from my 12OG. I shipped the first batch out this week and was excited to hear the first person got theirs. That is until they said it din't fitX).

I have been working like a madman to get as many of my skimmers done this week as possible only to find out they don't fit because I assumed the 12OG and the 12DX intake were the same. Please no comment about assume, believe I know. The most important rule in design...test test test. in my haste to get this skimmer done I didn't test fit in a DX and should have.

That being said...

For all of those who are waiting I can only apologize for yet another delay. Please be assured that I will correct this issue and do everything in my power to get the job done ASAP. I will contact each of you via e-mail to find out if waiting a little longer is something you are willing to do.

On the bright side...

I now have 10 finished skimmers for the NC6 or the 12OG.

This is my first venture into the modding realm and I am learning the hard way that no matter how hard I want to get this product out to the customer, it is necessary to check and re-check to make sure everything is good to go. JBJ is learning this as well.

Regards,

Bob

Hey Bob,

No worries! I know how that kind of thing goes.

I do have the 12 DX and I am willing to wait for the fix, no problem. Just email me and let me know the ETA (even if there isn't one just yet)

Thanks!

Mike

Archived