Pod Your Reef

calling all Northern VA nano reefers

tonkadawg

Just wondering how many of us there are in the NOVA area. I am wondering where you guys pick up most of your supplies, what you have done in your tanks, and if you were willing to show them off (pictures are great, but I really enjoy seeing the real thing). Also, if you are will to sell frags or anything... I don't have anything in my 21 yet, so trades aren't a possibility now, but maybe in the future.

Hey - Although my more common haunt is in Charlottesville (i.e. near school), whenever I'm home in Reson I try to hit The Marine Scene. It's located in the Sunset Business Park, near the intersection of Sunset Hills Blvd. and the Fairfax County Parkway. The prices are a little steeper than I'm used to, but that may be a consequence of being in northern VA. I think they have a fantastic operation, though, so I'm willing to pay a bit more.

That's my contribution. I hope it helps!

Scott

Scott, sorry about that, but I had to!

Yeah I work right next door to Marine Scene - spend a lot of my lunch breaks over there - makes the wife real happy!X) Actually, that is where I picked up my Via Aqua 21 and also my RO water. Plan on getting my corals and other critters there too. Definitely right about the prices being steep, but I think in this case, definitely worth it.

I've been to Wally's, Pets Etc (in Leesburg), Vienna Aquariums, one other place in Annandale (forget the name - SuperPet or something???) and no one has as nice of a stock as Marine Scene. There is a place over in Burke that I hear is pretty decent, but I haven't had a chance to get there.

Going to ignore that Hokies reference from earlier...:)

I wholeheartedly second the recommendation for Marine Scene in Herndon -- those guys are fantastic. I have tried to visit the place in Burk (The Reef Tank), but can't seem to figure out when they're actually open.

I live in Vienna, so have been to Vienna LFS many times -- not the greatest quality, IMO.

im in fredericksburg and king george (i go to school in fredericksburg and my house in in king george) so im in fredericksburg everydaybut i go to maru and a petco up near quanico the petco is good and the livetock is fine and maru is pretty good as far as it goes ,Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I visit the reeftank sometimes :happy: Used to be really cheap, but I think the price is slowly going up... still pretty good though, compare to other stores.

Anybody got any softcorals, shrooms or polyps for sale around the area? Also wanna try a montipora capriconis under 72w PC...

Yeah, I am gonna have to ignore the dirt roads comment as well...

That place in Burke - The Reeftank, I think is only open on weekends and a couple of nights during the week.

Picked up some Green Star Polyps and some shrooms from Marine Scene on Saturday. So far, they look great!!!

Cruise from Lancaster to Fredricksburg but most of my gear is purchased online or used. I will also bring in quite a bit of livestock direct.

On occasion Roozen's will have something unusual. Marine Scene is pretty solid. Aquatic World Leesburg (was Total Pets) will occassionally have a nice specimen that has been around for a few weeks or even months. Tropical Lagoon on Georgia Ave has some nice pieces on occasion. Etc Etc.

I don't think any of the LFSs are a guarantee either way but it sure is fun to cruise them ;)

Happy Holidays

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm a newbie in the newport/williamsburg area, can't believe live rock is so expensive here, i figured it being at a port and all..... Oh well, if anyone wants to give a poor flight instructor some rock, coral, fish, etc... or would like to trade some for some flying lessons (Hampton Roads Executive Airport)..... drop me an email!

Thanks!

I bought 6 corals from "The Reeftank" and 2 corals from Maru Pets in Fredericksburg. The Reeftanks hours are here www.thereefstore.com

Marine scene has a good selection of fish, but I'm not to impressed with corals. Prices are way high too.

Just bought a via-aqua 11 gallon from Maru today. Starting a nano for the first time.

i go to maru too a little high priced but there good i got all my livestock there so far (blenny,lr,and a free polyp or sumthin dont know what it is but they gave it to me for free lol) there pretty good i think im gonna stop there after the "snow storm" is gone all 3 inches of it:P i had off of school today it was great,Chris

o im not far from there my dad work up in quantico and bro up at forest greens golf course. im kinda ####ed the one lfs up in the complex by the theaters went out of busniess. i could usually just go from the movies to the lfs wen i was done and somehow come homewith a fish and a movie ticket stub lol,Chris

went to reeftank this past weekend - picked up a real nice hammer coral, decently priced considering it's size. The one thing that I did notice, the tanks at reeftank didn't appear to be as clean as those at Marine Scene - has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Originally posted by Tbrew

I've noticed that

All of my corals from there are still doing great though.

I wouldn't buy fish from them.

thats good to hear. What did you get from them and how long have you had them?

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by FCLymond

Going to ignore that Hokies reference from earlier...:)

I'm going to jump on the Hokies bandwagon, and poke fun at us at the same time...

VA Tech, where the men are men, and the sheep are scared!

That said, I didn't manage to get to any LFS-s when I was back in town for Christmas. Who knows of any good shops out near Manassas? My parents live in outer BFE...

Mike

in San Diego, and lovin' it!

Archived