SaltCritters.com

KarlV's 16G Nano

KarlV

I had various bits and pieces sitting about and finally decided to do something about it.

Tank:

16 gallon Jebo R760 semi circle

Lighting:

2 x 8 watt Power Glo Flourescent tubes

Hardware:

Red Sea Prizm hang on protein skimmer with surface skimmer

Aquaclear 20 (formerly mini)(foam and ceramic only)

2 x Aquaclear 20 (formerly 201) powerheads.(in box to be installed tomorrow)

Scenery:

16# Live rock

4# crushed Aragonite

Tankwithoutlighting.jpg

Livestock:

1 Hermit Crab

1 pink tip anemone

The anenome was tucked in a corner of an "empty" tank that got turned off and forgotten. Was sort of surviving (A=1, trite=.75, trate=80) and looks a bit lean and hungry. The hermit was in the same tank.

Thanks,

Its actually only 3 pieces of glass. I saw it and had to have it.

It comes in a 10G, 16G and 38G version. I wish I had space for the 38 as it has 3 flouro fittings in the hood.

Ok Things have progressed somewhat during the day. After spending 2 hours picking up information at my not so lfs (150km) (It's well worth the drive) I decided that the Jebo wasn't upgradable with the lights I have available (240v 70w MH and/or powercompacts arent available here) I got a little excited with the dremel and the results are as follow.

After.jpg

The plan is to use a hanging Jebo 28 inch with a 150w 14000k MH and a 27w Actinic. Is this too much for a 16G reef?

I have installed the mh/actinic and upgraded the 'fuge to an aquaclear 70 but kept the impeller from the 20 to keep the flow down.

Reefwithac70andlights.jpg

The 150w metal halide is great for a reef that size. Mh looses intensity if its too far away from the tank. I have mine 6 inches away from water. Whats your tank temperature? Mines 86F, when mh is on, and 85 when its off. Ambient is 76F.

I just moved down to about 11 inches from the surface. The light has only been installed 3 hours and has just turned off for the night (its 11pm monday night here) so I am not sure of the temp fluctuation. The ambient here is 62° so I'm not too concerned atm.

gallows784.jpg

The cable has at least 30 inches left as it is wrapped around the top gallows 3 times so I have a little to play with.

Setup was a little rough but in my enthusiasm I just had to do it.

The stand is 37 inches high. (pile of old standard nato ammunition boxes.)

cant wait 'til its cycled and i can actually spend some real money on it and buy coral (yay):-)

All in all I'm pretty happy with it so far. I got my first 10 gallon tank when I was 6 and it has taken me a further 25.5 years for me to take the first step towards a reef.

I started my first fowlr in a 4 foot tank 6 months ago for my 31st birthday got bored with it 3 months ago and caught the bug again last friday morning around 3 am. kind of a eureka moment really.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The story so far:

16G Jebo R760 semicircle (slightly modified)

Prizm

modified aquaclear 70 'fuge with aquaclear mini impeller.

fugewithcomicaloversizedlight.jpg

2 aquaclear 20 powerheads

150w 14000k MH

27w actinic

16# live rock

4# crushed argonite

I was in a shop on the other side of the city and the owner took me into the back room to show me the latest shipment of rock. I fell in love with the most amazing piece of rock i have ever seen. I am picking it up tomorrow afternoon. it will add another 9# to the bombora.

Picked up the rock today and found that its about 3/4 the length of the tank. much rescaping was required:

newaquascaping561.jpg

to give this result:

postaquascaping3798.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I couldnt help myself and bought some corals on the weekend. re aquascaped the tank

nanowithcorals.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is?

treecoral939.jpg

and here are my zoos

zooanthids3.jpg

Divided Sky

wish i could help you with an ID on that coral, but I have never seen it before. I worked at a LFS too so thats strange. Looks nice though.

I found a frag that one of the lfs here had for $19 (australian) which he thought had 2 fairly large and unusual mushrooms on it. (the ordinary colours normally go for about $5-6 per flower) I got it home to count about 10 tiny polyps on it( you can see a couple on the right) SCOOOOOOOOORE!!!!

blueandpurplemushrooms.jpg

Thanks SC and Divided Sky I really love the little tank.

The only thing seems to be that i cant aquascape in the usual "arena" shape because of the curve in the sides...at least i have an excuse now. :-)

I chose to remove my hermit crab because he lays down a path of destruction as he travels through the tank. I bought a few frags today and a couple of bigger pieces.

mrdestructo.jpg

The hermit _is_ evil.

He tries to take a chunk outta me every time i pick him up. he shows very little fear and his claws are more than half an inch long.

damn thing knocks corals about and i watched him ripping the feathers off 2 feather dusters (not that it mattered, they grew back)

he is now in my 7g all glass cube nano.(i did drop him on the floor on the way...damn thing bit me.

in other news, I hope to post new photos once the tank clears and the halide comes back on.

that "unidentified" coral is ducanopsamia, they are an LPS rarely imported to the US. Thats why you've probably never seen one at your LFS.

that would probably explain why they are relatively cheap and common here.....sorry to say.

Thank you very much for the ID. :flower:

Archived