Top Shelf Aquatics

Any suggestions for red LED's in hood for night viewing?

LiQuiD

I don't remember where I saw it, but I remember someone who had one or more red LED lights in the hood for night viewing. I just turn off the lights and squint as is and rarely see any of my nocturnal night dwellers. I KNOW I have them and would really like to be able to view them without eye strain. Aside from the babble, does anyone know where to purchase small plug in red led's (I guess like for car allarms only non blinking) or would a suggestion be to use a small candelabra bulb perhaps. My LFS has a couple tanks with like painted red flourecent bulbs with a sign on the tank stating "Ask about night view bulbs", but I can't fit much more in my 2.5g's hood and need smaller and cheaper. I don't know where I'm going with this but I would basically just like some cool night lights. Suggestions please.

If you can't find something try the search button located at the to upper right under members. I typed in Night viewing and the post came up. Its very useful :P : :D:blush:

send me $50 and i'll set you up with this "top of the line, night viewing LED system" that comes complete with batteries and setup instructions free of charge

edit: it's a retro-fit too, perfect for your hood.

edit#2: don't do the incandescent thing. my (i'll say it again) TOP OF THE LINE system is LED based and will not generate any significant heat and there are no bulbs to replace.

Hey LiQuiD

I have 2 blue LED on my 18 gallon. They look awesome for nite viewing or for spawning. I run mine from 23:30pm to 6:00am

I purchased the LED from Radio shack for $1.80each and a transformer to opperate them for $9.00. Total cost under $15

Originally posted by adinsxq

send me $50 and i'll set you up with this "top of the line, night viewing LED system" that comes complete with batteries and setup instructions free of charge

Priceline.com price: 24.00

Aquabid price: 20.00

DEEEEEEPPPPP Discount price: 12.00

Radioshack price: 4.95

:D

TFF

• 1 month later...

I think the half of the $44 is "engineering and design costs." Did you see that fancy math on the paper in the back ground? Just look at how many $5 cups of Starbucks it took to design, prototype and test the "Super Saltwater LED Tank Nite Lite." Can't wait to see your infomercial Adin!!

PS: MiracleBeam = Disco-Reef

This info was for those looking for night lights and could not find any. If you do not like the info provided then don't read it. The system is 29.99 and comes with 1 blue & 1 green light. You can get all red or all blue if desired. These can be found at Wal-Mart or Pets Mart. This was intended to be helpful info for those who couldnt find any night lights.....if you have a better idea then share it!!!!!!!!!

I hate to say it, especially since this thread is ancient, the Hi-Lite sytems being sold at Walmart and elsewhere, does not have a red bulb. I looked into this months ago, they have blue, green, etc. but no red bulb. Does not matter because I decided on blue and since then have decided not to waste my time, I'm sleeping when the lights are out so why light it.

LiQuiD decides not to "lose sleep" over this issue...

Does not matter because I decided on blue and since then have decided not to waste my time, I'm sleeping when the lights are out so why light it.

those miracle beam folks are putting me out of business. however, for anyone who still cares, the LED modules that come with your "hi-lite" system can be modified. screw off the clear plastic cover and pop out the standard (1 blue, 1 green) LED and replace it with your preferred color choice.

note: i do not own a miraclebeam system. i do not know whether the LEDs they supply are 3mm or 5mm. i have not performed the above stated modification, just spoken with someone who owns the system (aka mikeE (strife, stryfe, whatever)) and got some specs and details on the design. as for "reef safe," as i understand it, the base unit is a HOB type dealy. watch out for salt splash/creep... you don't want jr. getting the zappies when he wants to touch your sparklies.:|

where did you get that thing that holds the batteries with the two wires coming out of it? or does anyone know what that is called?

Thanx in advance

um a battery holder appr. 1.40 at radioshack. btw i hear the miracle beam addons can be used with a 9 volt adapter itd be much cheaper....

nishant

can you give me a link...I just tried to find them on radioshack.com and was unsuccessful. I don't know what they are called so I can't look them up. Thanx in advance.

macnreef

iof you kids get LEDs with built in resistors then there is very little work. just hook up the leds in a series and get a ac dc adapter that will supply the correct amount of voltage. For instance 8 LEDs rated at 1.5 would need a 12 volt adapter. this might be really easy in an alife because it has a built in adapter to supply the fan with power. Does anyone know how many volts it is rated at? Cause that would be a dumb easy mod.

for less than 10 bucks you can get two of these http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...R-16&type=store

LBR-16.jpg

they come with adhesive reflectors and produce 48000 MilliCandella per strip. you wouldn't need to get the right sockets. just cut the adapters and wire then into a switch that is connected to a power cord cause they operate at 115 volts AC.

rupert's right. LED bars are getting quite popular in computer case "mod" and car "mod" circles. you can get LED bars that with some easy wire splicing... are wall outlet adaptable. and since car batteries and computer power supplies are 12vdc, get a 12vdc adapter (that's got enought current output) and you're set... just be sure (like rupert said) you've got the proper resistance.

macnreef: my original post with the LED and the small 3x1.5v AAA battery pack was sort of a joke, but if you don't want to mess with wires and junk, it WILL work. the wires should already have stripped ends, just touch them to the two prongs of the LED and you're set. if it doesn't light up, you'have your wires backwards.

9000mcd white 5mm LEDs if anyone's interested... $1 a pop.

http://www.exabytesystems.com/product_info...967a44ac5e1122d

Archived