inTank Media Baskets

Tips for new Acro

selch

I was at my LFS the other day and they had this Acro frag in their scratch and dent tank for $25. I couldn't pass it up so I bought it.

It's sitting in the corner to acclimate it to my lighting per Tomaso_Pantera's post in this thread. As you can see some of the tips look a bit lousy but as it was inexpensive I thought I'd take a chance.

Anyone have any tips other than good flow and lighting?

IMGP1883.jpg

IMGP1884.jpg

IMGP1885.jpg

Good flow, lighting, VERY high water quality (especially with a "damaged" specimen).

Other than that...just pray.

Cheers,

Fred

EtOH_is_good

still kinda early for your tank, but i second what fred says. $25 is not that cheap for a damaged acro. healthy acro frags at my lfs are $10-30. since i can't see the pics, i hope it was a true steal.

Yeah, it is early for my tank and I knew that. However, my LFS doesn't seem to get small inexpensive Acros in very often so I thought I'd take the chance. I think I have the flow and the lighting. Water params are a bit off due to a Zoo purchase and a bit of die off on the small rocks they came on but am doing daily water changes to get that back to normal. I'd hate to kill it but I think either way it will be a good learning experience.

not sure if it's just me but...is there only one tip that is alive? the rest of that coral looks pretty freakin' dead to me. selch, it looks like you got ripped off, bud. i'd take that ish back and let the owner have a piece of my mind.

Yeah, it looks like only that one tip is still alive. I would break off that tip and put it somewhere with good flow and light and it should grow. Not worth $25 if that's the only part of it that's alive.

My $25 Acro skeleton went back to the store last night. I really appreciate everyone's input on that. The store was very cool about it and apologized for letting me walk out the door with it. I picked myself up a nice brain coral in its place.

I tell ya, I've read a few books and lots of articles on the web but without this site I'd be totally screwed. You guys are awesome.

Archived