ReefCleaners.org

LED Moonlight DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

afiser

Well it took me and my step-dad about 45 min. to an hour but it was worth it all.

i know i said i was going to put step-by-step intructions but im to lazy to do it right now but i do have a few pics to show off wut i did.

a3170828.jpg

i know it is hard to see(my cam sux @$$)but look really close at these two pics(it is way brighter in human

abfeba5d.jpg

965df7a7.jpg

any comments are welcome (be honest now):):):):):):):)

one burnt out becuase the voltage was to high. the other bulbs are fine though becuase it is the right voltage for them.(the bulb that burnt out was one i had lying around and i didnt know the voltage:()

OK so here are the instructions i am going to giving to you guys.

supplies i used(you could put more than 3 in if you want)

3xSuper Bright LEDs

1xPostive/Negative wire

Drill

screwdriver

4.0 watt power source

(oh and another thing take canopy off when doing all of this)

1. Remove plastic shield

2. mark where you want the LEDs (i recomend the middle because there is no room in the front or back)

3. gut every thing out exept ballast/fans

4.drill holes in the heat sheild where you marked

5. wire up the LEDs and soder for permanent insureance(i will post a dia gram later of how i did)

6. check to see if the LEDs work

7. tape around postive wires with electrical tape.

8. tape around negative wires with electrical tape.

(IMPORTANT=do not tape the positive and negitavie wires together they will short each other out)

9. now make sure no wire or LED metal is touching heat sheild or any other metal.

10. tape ,with electrical tape, every thing down so nothing is sticking up.

11. reinstall everything back into the hood

(oh and another thing take canopy off when doing all of this never work over you aquarium):)

MinibowMatt

Hey, since this is an active LED thread i thought i would post this here.. Sorry afiser for hijacking...

At my local Rite AId pharmacy, they had two neat little LED lights that are mounted on little stick on clips. they are meant for your car and to plug into your car lighter. Im gonna try to buy some tomorrow and hook them up. If i do, i will post pics. they were only five bucks and blue. that is cheaper than 1 blue LED at radio shack.

MinibowMatt

what was your power source? i made moonlights on my FW and used a 15V scanner power supply and wired a resistor at each LED. How did you avoind adding a resistor to limit the current?

MinibowMatt

It can be important. That is probably whay your LED blew out. If you put the right size current limiting resistor in series with you LED they will outlive your reef. Otherwise your gonna blow them out quickly. here is a quick page i did on my DIY for my FW. https://home.comcast.net/~amgock/

Im not saying yours are GOING to blow, but they could be more prone.

You may want to do some web searches on how to wire LED's. The current limiting resistor is important because a small change in voltage will cause a tremendous increase in current throught the LED resulting in very short lifespan or burnout. It regulates the current through the resistor basically.

Seems a bit dark, maybe it's visible in person?

Post pics of your reef in the coming months of growth.

Archived